RBM Blur Option

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Elimina RBM Blur Option was created by Elimina
I understand Marty said that he is is going to rewrite RBM at some point, but I was wondering if this option could be implemented. (Sorry if I keep suggesting new features for RBM, but right now I love the effect, but it isn't used in many presets due to it's lack of customization. Implementing some of these could really help RBM work in almost all environments without looking strange.)

Its a pretty simple concept, and it doesn't need too much explanation. Could a blur option be added to the rewritten RBM code to allow the user to choose between having softer reflections rather than being stuck with the current sharp look which looks strange on rough materials. I know rough materials give the reflections a more rough look via the bump map, but the reflections still do look unrealistically sharp.

I know that other people would definitely use RBM in presets if a depth fade was added, a blur option was added, and if a darkness threshold was added (a threshold to reduce the amount of reflections but keeping brighter sources). The color mask I suggested is a bit far fetched, but it could definitely help on games that have green grass, which looks weird with reflections.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic RBM Blur Option
Oh, another thing :P So, I just thought about the black artifacts that outline some objects, and I just realized that the black artifact outlines only happen on surfaces that have a very very low angle. If there was a negative Fresnel effect that is added that lowers reflections on very low angles, the black lines would no longer exist.

I know there is a Fresnel effect that lowers reflections on high angles, but would it be possible to add a low angle option as well to get rid of the black outlines?

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic RBM Blur Option
It's depth buffer related. About the reflections, do you want a less rough relief or the reflections itself? Because the latter is really easy to do.

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #4 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic RBM Blur Option

Marty McFly wrote: It's depth buffer related. About the reflections, do you want a less rough relief or the reflections itself? Because the latter is really easy to do.

I don't mind the rough relief, I just want the reflections itself to have an option to be more blurred since in most cases it is too sharp on objects such as concrete, bricks, stone, etc.

(I know this isn't reflective bump mapping but you get the idea)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ederer

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic RBM Blur Option
Yes that is easy to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01, Elimina, Ederer

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #6 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic RBM Blur Option
I just researched the black outline issue: it's because the algorithm compares the reflection sample with original depth and if a close object reflects onto a far object (which shouldn't happen as it looks weird - remember RBM is everything but physically correct reflection!) it gets discarded. But if I just replace it by the original color instead, black outlines are gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elimina, Ederer

• DeMondo
More
8 years 1 week ago #7 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic RBM Blur Option

Elimina wrote:

Marty McFly wrote: It's depth buffer related. About the reflections, do you want a less rough relief or the reflections itself? Because the latter is really easy to do.

I don't mind the rough relief, I just want the reflections itself to have an option to be more blurred since in most cases it is too sharp on objects such as concrete, bricks, stone, etc.

(I know this isn't reflective bump mapping but you get the idea)

--
I like where this is heading.

• DeMondo
More
8 years 1 week ago #8 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic RBM Blur Option

Marty McFly wrote: I just researched the black outline issue: it's because the algorithm compares the reflection sample with original depth and if a close object reflects onto a far object (which shouldn't happen as it looks weird - remember RBM is everything but physically correct reflection!) it gets discarded. But if I just replace it by the original color instead, black outlines are gone.

--
THAT would be very handy, because I got loads of black lines with RBM enabled and DOF disabled (DOF covers up the many black lines from RBM in the distance at a certain angle but not all).

I would love to see a RMB v2. B)

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 days ago - 8 years 4 days ago #9 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic RBM Blur Option
*Accidental response*
Last edit: 8 years 4 days ago by Elimina.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.