Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wowvx support?

Wowvx support? 1 year 11 months ago #1

hi, Ive never used this software nor know what it does but I have a phillips wowvx autosteroscopic monitor, and wanted direct x legacy support, I asked someone familiar with this sort of tech and he suggested asking here since the wowvx uses a greyscale depth map as part of what it does. if anyones interested, there is native support for this monitor in the game engine demo "le cauchemar" and in open scene graph.

basically the effect works (I believe) by taking a resolution (1600x1200) and having a side by side image, one on the left the normal raster image, the right the depth map, then there are flags given to the monitor in the form of a series of pixels in the top left hand corner, this triggers the monitor to drop the resolution by half and display the raster image on the front lcd (monitor has 2 lcds built in) and the depth map underneath. the result is 3d.

the monitor is capable of up to 7-9 view angles, but in my case, 4 or even 2 is probably best, since it may save on process power. check out the source for those open source programs for any ideas on how this works, cause I havent a clue.

Can anyone let me know if its possible to make a shader for reshade that will allow old direct x games to be played using this monitor? thanks to any help in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #2

wowvx wrote:
hi, Ive never used this software nor know what it does but I have a phillips wowvx autosteroscopic monitor, and wanted direct x legacy support, I asked someone familiar with this sort of tech and he suggested asking here since the wowvx uses a greyscale depth map as part of what it does. if anyones interested, there is native support for this monitor in the game engine demo "le cauchemar" and in open scene graph.

basically the effect works (I believe) by taking a resolution (1600x1200) and having a side by side image, one on the left the normal raster image, the right the depth map, then there are flags given to the monitor in the form of a series of pixels in the top left hand corner, this triggers the monitor to drop the resolution by half and display the raster image on the front lcd (monitor has 2 lcds built in) and the depth map underneath. the result is 3d.

the monitor is capable of up to 7-9 view angles, but in my case, 4 or even 2 is probably best, since it may save on process power. check out the source for those open source programs for any ideas on how this works, cause I havent a clue.

Can anyone let me know if its possible to make a shader for reshade that will allow old direct x games to be played using this monitor? thanks to any help in advance.

What kind of Input do you need for this monitor to work? 1600x1200 side by side with the image and the Depth buffer?
It says on the Wiki Site.... let me quote. "WOWvx uses the 3D format called 2D-plus-depth that has a greyscale depth map next to each 2D frame."

If that the case this should be easy to do.

Go to my the thread reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/212...-stereoscopic-shader

I will leave a few picture of the what I think you need. So you can test. In a bit.
My GitHub page where you can get the Latest release of SuperDepth3D github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

My PayPal Me Link If you like to donate paypal.me/BlueSkyDefender

Also my steam page steamcommunity.com/id/BlueSkyDefender

Discord Server discord.gg/W2f7YhX
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wowvx

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #3

ok thanks. programmerart.org has the game engine le cauchemar, it uses the wowvx natively. it source is available as well, so if you need help getting it to trigger (the shader needs to send the pixel flags to the monitor to trigger the 3d mode.) its worth a look.

the wowvx mode in it will work on a normal monitor, but without the 3d effect, just the side by side. its in the stereo options.

The Wowvx uses no special physical input, just a single dvi port. hope you can get it working, ill donate if you can.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by wowvx.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #4

OK I have the shader up and running I need you to test it. The information here "reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/212...ader?start=700#19954" I am going to store for food will be back in a bit.
My GitHub page where you can get the Latest release of SuperDepth3D github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #5

hi, tried the shader with eduke, but I see no depth map. the screen is split correctly, but the right side is black. is it because eduke is opengl? I didnt know reshade supported gl so I chose the most basic game I had to test.

the part where i described the pixel flags was from the philips whitepaper describing the technology, and might not actually be needed. it might be a code header and not strictly a pixel flag.

im going to try additional games. if it matters, im using reshade 3.06.

UPDATE: i used a dx9 game, and the depth map works with the invert option checked, but it doesnt mux into the single screen.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #6

ive looked into it, and there definitely needs to be a pixel flag, it seems to be implemented in le cauchemars wowvx.h header.

Ive found an old dev email about Open Scene Graphs implementation, and the flag described a bit more:

markmail.org/message/j7fojb3bcyqelkas

also the original white paper that Philips used to describe the format is on programmer arts site as well:

programmerart.org/code/wowvx/reference/P...hite-Paper-13725.pdf

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #7

Looks like a header on the color buffer side.

I will have to inspect it closer.

Ya I got a banner working I just need to figure out how to do the banner codes.....

Having a hard time finding how it was done in in that game.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #8

i cant read c++ code very well, but I think it applies the bytecode to the texture at the end of the wow.cpp file. it also references the edc for some reason. Is this code executable in a shader?

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #9

wowvx wrote:
i cant read c++ code very well, but I think it applies the bytecode to the texture at the end of the wow.cpp file. it also references the edc for some reason. Is this code executable in a shader?

I ended up doing it bit by bit since there is a max around 30 on a line of 160 Bits

with 7 Content types..... so I Just need to do 210 of them little blue blocks.

Not Hard just time taking.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #10

Ok Try it out I added the header as documented in the PDF above.

Added
Header Flip Option "If Header is on Bottom Left Use this to place it Back on the Top Left.
Also added The different header options.
No Depth
Reserved
Still
CGI
Game
Movie
Signage

Try it out.

Also added a Black Background to the Header. I Did This since I am worried on some games the blue Blocks will get mixed up with the color buffer With the sky being blue and all. I don't think this was needed but..... why not.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #11

That did it! the effect is working, and good as well. Ive only tested one dx9 game so far, but its working. at first, it didnt, but when I turned the header flip option off, it worked, it think the header flip should be off by default, as it seems to send to the lower left when the header is functioning properly.

if the shader is resolution independent, then it should work with the 42 inch version of this screen, as well as the 60 inch dimenco screens as well.

So far, good work! Im off to test some more.

EDIT: I tried Fallout 3 but it cant detect the wowvx fx file, it shows it as a wovx.ini, and the options dont come up. Any ideas on this?

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #12

wowvx wrote:
That did it! the effect is working, and good as well. Ive only tested one dx9 game so far, but its working. at first, it didnt, but when I turned the header flip option off, it worked, it think the header flip should be off by default, as it seems to send to the lower left when the header is functioning properly.

if the shader is resolution independent, then it should work with the 42 inch version of this screen, as well as the 60 inch dimenco screens as well.

So far, good work! Im off to test some more.

EDIT: I tried Fallout 3 but it cant detect the wowvx fx file, it shows it as a wovx.ini, and the options dont come up. Any ideas on this?

The shader detects the res and adjust the header size to fit the screen. The reason I have the header Flip is in some games this detection seems not work well.

The code for the header flip is this.
	float HEIGHT;
	if (Header_Flip)
	{
	HEIGHT = BUFFER_RCP_HEIGHT;
	}
	else
	{
	HEIGHT = BUFFER_HEIGHT;
	}
it may be a bug in reshade.... I don't know. So that the reason I have that option. The Default position seems to change for a lot of games.

I tested it in Fallout 4...... I am not sure about fallout 3 I will look in to it.I have a list of games I set my self that do work with my 3D shader. on the Git Hub. You have access to a lot of games now. enjoy.

So yes it should work the 42 inch 1080p monitor since the shader should adjust.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #13

ok, I tested another 4 games, I cant get a depth map in any opengl game Ive tried, Ive tried all 35 depth maps, and inverting it, but just black. Ive tried quake 2, Kingpin, eduke3d, UT99 in opengl mode. only UT trips the 3d mode, only cause the depth side is all white, it only trips if there is depth info it seems.

unreal tournament 99 with dx9 update detects the .fx as a .ini as fallout 3 does.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #14

wowvx wrote:
ok, I tested another 4 games, I cant get a depth map in any opengl game Ive tried, Ive tried all 35 depth maps, and inverting it, but just black. Ive tried quake 2, Kingpin, eduke3d, UT99 in opengl mode. only UT trips the 3d mode, only cause the depth side is all white, it only trips if there is depth info it seems.

unreal tournament 99 with dx9 update detects the .fx as a .ini as fallout 3 does.

For quake 2 use Quake 2 XP

eDuke32 Will not give a depth map. I have tested it already.

Unreal Gold with v227 patch.
Use the DX9 render
install Rehsade 3.0 to System folder select DX9.
In Unreal Set your res and the go to advance settings.
Turn Off AA and go back in to the game.
Start a game.
Shift F2
Set up my shader in reshade.
Depth map is 8

unreal tournament 99 online game will disable the Depth Map.

Here the link that I have for a list of tested games. github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/blob/...er/Game_Settings.txt

Also you can also look at this. reshade.me/compatibility For more games.

After testing Fallout 3 I found out that there are problems. For some reason the depth map in the Top Right of the screen. This may have to do with the game.

As for the .fx files showing up as ini.... That may be a problem with your system since that don't show up on mine.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wowvx

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #15

Hi, you can add another game to your compat list: You Are Empty is the dx9 game I was testing with, it works perfect on DM0 with the header flip off and should work in the normal modes.

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #16

• Vi
Impressive work guys! reshade, your shader work, really impressive.

Coincidently i've got access to one of those dimenco/phillips 3d screens. It's 4k, and i've downloaded some movies and it's simply astonishing! there is one movie called pinochio that they split the 4k images between 4 images (BG+pinochio color, BG+pinochio depth, PINOCHIO Nose Color, PINOCHIO nose depth. To me this is simply the best demo... althought normally the other videos are just "simply" color+detph at 4k...

As soon as i have access again, i will try your shader. It looks promising!

As a matter of documentation i will post a link of the material i've gathered so far in case it helps somehow this wonderfull OPEN development :)

Wowvx support? 1 year 10 months ago #17

Vi wrote:
Impressive work guys! reshade, your shader work, really impressive.

Coincidently i've got access to one of those dimenco/phillips 3d screens. It's 4k, and i've downloaded some movies and it's simply astonishing! there is one movie called pinochio that they split the 4k images between 4 images (BG+pinochio color, BG+pinochio depth, PINOCHIO Nose Color, PINOCHIO nose depth. To me this is simply the best demo... althought normally the other videos are just "simply" color+detph at 4k...

As soon as i have access again, i will try your shader. It looks promising!

As a matter of documentation i will post a link of the material i've gathered so far in case it helps somehow this wonderfull OPEN development :)

It should scale to 4k. Also link me the videos and docs if it does not work.

Wowvx support? 1 year 9 months ago #18

• Vi
finally Back, and with some tests!

I've tried on a dimenco 4k screen, unfortunately i could only try it with Dirt, and another codemasters racing game. (i can see a beautifull depth map showing on a split screen if i turn off the flip options)

The thing is that woww.fx shader works! As it triggers the engine inside the screen. The flaw is that the result is awkwards beyond trickering any value.. I've thought of using the normal SuperDetph shader, as i've got sidebyside videos that also work (althought with their propietary video player...) but it not triggered the "wow" mode...

So here is the report, i could not record the session. But i will try as soon as i can. Could be any possibility to add the "wow" header mode on the SuperDepth shader??

The information i've got regarding the screen is on the pdf of their brochures:
The Dimenco 3D Player and Dimenco Control Tool can be downloaded from: ftp://ftp.dimenco.eu/ User: DimencoSoftware Password: playeranddct

Optionally download some sample clips from: ftp://ftp.dimenco.eu/ User: Dimencoguest Password: 3dconversion

The videos althought the odd format, can be viewed with mediaplayer classic. I would point specially to Pinochio movie! AS i think is a state of the art in 3d! althout trailer conversions works well, or even normal stereo videos.

Thanks again for your awesome work BlueSkyKnight
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Vi. Reason: adding some clarifications

Wowvx support? 1 year 9 months ago #19

Vi wrote:
finally Back, and with some tests!

I've tried on a dimenco 4k screen, unfortunately i could only try it with Dirt, and another codemasters racing game. (i can see a beautifull depth map showing on a split screen if i turn off the flip options)

The thing is that woww.fx shader works! As it triggers the engine inside the screen. The flaw is that the result is awkwards beyond trickering any value.. I've thought of using the normal SuperDetph shader, as i've got sidebyside videos that also work (althought with their propietary video player...) but it not triggered the "wow" mode...

So here is the report, i could not record the session. But i will try as soon as i can. Could be any possibility to add the "wow" header mode on the SuperDepth shader??

The other shader will slow down wowvx part. This is why it's a different shader.
Vi wrote:
The information i've got regarding the screen is on the pdf of their brochures:
The Dimenco 3D Player and Dimenco Control Tool can be downloaded from: ftp://ftp.dimenco.eu/ User: DimencoSoftware Password: playeranddct

Optionally download some sample clips from: ftp://ftp.dimenco.eu/ User: Dimencoguest Password: 3dconversion

The videos althought the odd format, can be viewed with mediaplayer classic. I would point specially to Pinochio movie! AS i think is a state of the art in 3d! althout trailer conversions works well, or even normal stereo videos.

Thanks again for your awesome work BlueSkyKnight
I will look in to the videos. As a idea you may want to adjust or make your own depth map. I will be updating the Wowvx shader in a few days that should help a bit with getting a nicer depth map.

I would love a tv like this to be able to fine tune the shader. But, I know like 2 people that have a tv like this. So..... ya.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vi

Wowvx support? 1 year 9 months ago #20

• Vi
I will be looking to! Any development it's appreciated.
This monitors are awesome when you see the demos, but without them... they are kind of useless...

It seems that your shader is really close to develop the correct 3d for this 4k monitors... but maybe it would be easier to have a sidebyside option (without depth) including header on the wowfx?

Anyway, your work is really impressive.