HighPass Blur?

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #1 by F D B HighPass Blur? was created by F D B
Hey
I'm looking/asking for sortofa HighPass Blur, like this HighPass Sharpen one reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/529...contrast-enhancement , but doing the opposite: Blurring instead of Sharpening.
I've tried every available Blur shader but none of them can do what I'm looking for.
With HighPass Sharpen I've been able to only sharpen certain areas of the game. Like bright colors OR dark colors, or both. Now I would like to do the same but blurring them out.

I hope some of you can build something like this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ioxa
More
6 years 10 months ago #2 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic HighPass Blur?
Doesn't seem like it would be tough to do, it would just be a blur filter with some kind of a mask. I might be able to put something together for you but I don't really have the time right now. You could try using high pass sharpening with a negative value for the strength, it wouldn't be the same as blurring but it would soften the image some.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #3 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HighPass Blur?
I tried to do that, mate... but it doesn't achieve the effect I'm looking for.

For example, I'm using Highpass Sharpen in Pro Evolution Soccer 2017, and I've managed to sharpen the player shapes, crowd and goals (mostly birght colors) leaving the pitch (turf) and other details untouched. Now I want this Highpass blur to smoothen out what I left unsharpened. And I've tried with every Blur shader and even with Sharpen shaders using negative values but it doesn't quite cut it.

Actually, I was also looking for some kind of 'Per Color Blurring' effect. So I could also just blur certain colors a little. But I figured a Highpass Blurring shader would be easy to do.

I will wait for your approach as long as you need, Ioxa. Thanks a lot!
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by F D B.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #4 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HighPass Blur?
Any chance of getting this Ioxa? Don't mean to put pressure on you.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #5 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HighPass Blur?

Ioxa wrote: Doesn't seem like it would be tough to do, it would just be a blur filter with some kind of a mask. I might be able to put something together for you but I don't really have the time right now. You could try using high pass sharpening with a negative value for the strength, it wouldn't be the same as blurring but it would soften the image some.

Please?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by F D B.

• Ioxa
More
6 years 6 months ago #6 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic HighPass Blur?
I was trying to work on this the other day but its tough to apply a blur to an area based only on color because it blurs all the pixels on the screen with that color, it looks weird. Could you give me an untouched screen shot of the game you want to use this in and explain which part you want to blur?
The following user(s) said Thank You: F D B

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #7 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HighPass Blur?
Ioxa,
I have just seen this now.

Here: www.imagebam.com/image/62a693620833033

I would love to blur the pitch (the grass) so that players, crowd and environment stand up while the pitch itself looks smooth just like when watching a match on TV.
I don't know why football games love to make grass look so texturized.
Of course that depending on time of day and weather effects, there are different shades of greens (lighter, darker, etc) but it would be a very good place to start.

• Ioxa
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #8 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic HighPass Blur?
Since you've managed to sharpen certain areas you may be able to smooth out the grass with gaussian blur and increase the sharpening strength a bit. You could also try surface blur and adjust the edge detection so it is mostly blurring the grass. Or maybe even the denoise shader might work since the texture on the grass just kinda looks like noise.

Here is a quick test with surface blur.

BlurRadius = 2
BlurOffset = 1
BlurEdge = 0.154
BlurStrength = 0.9

If you want to smooth the grass even more you can increase the strength, the blur radius, and/or the blur edge.

I'm also using surface sharpen after surface blur, you should be able to get similar results with any other sharpening shader.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Ioxa.

• F D B
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #9 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic HighPass Blur?
Thank you Ioxa.
However I can't notice any changes in your image. I actually saved both and opened them in two different layers in Photoshop and disabled/enabled one at a time and still couldn't notice the grass (or anything) else looking smoother. Are you sure you've uploaded the right file?.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.