Phong Lighting?

• GP-Unity
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by GP-Unity Phong Lighting? was created by GP-Unity
This is featured in Dolphin Emulator (Ishiiruka version).
WITHOUT PHONG LIGHTING:
WITH PHONG LIGHTING:

My screenshots are perhaps not the best example. For some reason only Link, NPCs and the sky seem to be impacted by the effect. I hope we can see this effect implemented in Reshade, its a great effect with the right implementation and arguably makes older games look more stunning.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by GP-Unity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Phong Lighting?
Phong is simplest NdotL lighting. Now what we'd need for that is global light direction and normal vectors of the surface (light intensity based off the angle between surface and light vector). The latter can be reconstructed from depth buffer but they ignore smoothing groups so the lighting would make the single polygons visible. Now we need light direction. Problem is here, ReShade only has color and depth so by rotating the camera, you'd also rotate the light. And that looks really weird.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GP-Unity

• GP-Unity
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #3 by GP-Unity Replied by GP-Unity on topic Phong Lighting?
I understand clearly now why it can't be implemented, thanks for the answer.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.