[Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping?

• Wakey
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #1 by Wakey [Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping? was created by Wakey
Hi there :)

Yes, my question in the title might seem a bit odd, let me explain:
I am currently working on a texture mod for the recent Nightdive remaster of Turok 2. The problem is, the Kex-Engine has no mip-mapping functionality (i think that might be because of all the screenspace effects).
Now the highres textures i created tend to alias and flicker as hell with increasing distance - it's quite eye cancer inducing.

So, would it be technically possible to write a shader which does a similar thing to mip-mapping to milden the flickering?
Depth buffer access is given (DoF works for example).
Please forgive me that n00b question, i am quite new to the world of reshade :)

Thanks in advance,
Wakey
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Wakey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping?
No. That's not something you can do in screenspace. What may help is to use a sharpen or blurring filter to make it less visible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wakey

• Wakey
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by Wakey Replied by Wakey on topic [Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping?
Thanks for the fast response :)

Just as i thought, a bummer. I tried out both blur and sharpening filters and either makes the flickering worse. The aliasing is so severe, that even with a strong gaussian blur, you get a flickering blur :-/
The only solution is downsampling, but that is quite performance intensive for now.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 9 months ago #4 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic [Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping?
If you want a distance detail reduction try setting up DOF to static focus with a really shallow far curve and no near curve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wakey

• Wakey
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #5 by Wakey Replied by Wakey on topic [Request] Is it possible to "fake" mipmapping?

FierySwordswoman wrote: If you want a distance detail reduction try setting up DOF to static focus with a really shallow far curve and no near curve.

Tried that, unfortunately the flickering is so severe, that even the blurred parts flicker like hell. And that even looks worse.
Originaly i asked because i want to use DOF for that game, but with the flickering it is a no-go.
But thanks for your thought anyway, i appreciate it :cheer:

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.