Local contrast? How?

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #1 by Fu-Bama Local contrast? How? was created by Fu-Bama
Anybody have an idea how the Local Contrast effect from Affinity Photo works?
I basically makes everything look awesome.

before:

after (60%):

The effect is located in Tone Mapping Persona (tab at the left top corner) under slider Local Contrast
You can download Affinity Photo Trial from here affinity.store/get/photo/trial/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chavolatra
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic Local contrast? How?
It is very handsome effect.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Chavolatra.

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 9 months ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Local contrast? How?
Can you quickly create an image with a light Grey on top and a very dark grey on bottom and apply different levels of strength of this effect? Also I'd like to see how it handles black and white so if you could do black/white on one half of the image, that would be great. Maybe I can reconstruct the effect.

• piltrafus
More
5 years 9 months ago #4 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic Local contrast? How?
Ioxa has a local contrast shader. Clarity is the name I think.

While the effect is quite effective at making the image perceptually sharper and more "readeable" it can also give a dirty feeling to it. By adding detail/contrast to the textures in shadow areas it reduces the main contrast between light and dark. That flattens the image and with detail everywhere is harder sometimes to keep a clear focal point in the image.

However is another tool in the box.

• deltaminds
More
5 years 9 months ago #5 by deltaminds Replied by deltaminds on topic Local contrast? How?
Dayum! That looks so good! I love clouds and this has changed the clouds so much :O

• Chavolatra
More
5 years 9 months ago #6 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic Local contrast? How?
"Can you quickly create an image with a light Grey on top and a very dark grey on bottom and apply different levels of strength of this effect? Also I'd like to see how it handles black and white so if you could do black/white on one half of the image, that would be great. Maybe I can reconstruct the effect."

Do you can make this effect for us ?

I'll be waiting for this =)

• Marty
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #7 by Marty Replied by Marty on topic Local contrast? How?

Marty McFly wrote: Can you quickly create an image with a light Grey on top and a very dark grey on bottom and apply different levels of strength of this effect? Also I'd like to see how it handles black and white so if you could do black/white on one half of the image, that would be great. Maybe I can reconstruct the effect.

You mean something like this ? Hope It helps.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Marty.

• Fu-Bama
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #8 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Local contrast? How?

Marty McFly wrote: Can you quickly create an image with a light Grey on top and a very dark grey on bottom and apply different levels of strength of this effect? Also I'd like to see how it handles black and white so if you could do black/white on one half of the image, that would be great. Maybe I can reconstruct the effect.

Ok, I made something like this:
0%

25%

50%

75%

100%

The gradient has a dither effect by default (I could not disable it).

PS, Marty, I made it before I saw your post.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Fu-Bama.

• Chavolatra
More
5 years 7 months ago #9 by Chavolatra Replied by Chavolatra on topic Local contrast? How?

You give up to make this effect.?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.