Color Depth and Dithering

• whatwwkd4496
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #1 by whatwwkd4496 Color Depth and Dithering was created by whatwwkd4496
add ability to set color depth from 1 to 10 bit and dithering modes like "Random Dithering", "Ordered Dithering", "Use Colored Noise" and "Change Dither For Every Frame", actually this is a MadVR feature, if you want to see an example install mpc and madvr and open a 60fps video, then in madvr settings in the devices -> properties, set native display bitdepth to at least 4bits (but i like 1bit better) then got to rendering -> dithering and select betwen "Random Dithering" and "Ordered Dithering" and toggle "Use Colored Noise" and "Change Dither For Every Frame" on and off, it looks superfun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Masterfireheart
More
5 years 5 months ago #2 by Masterfireheart Replied by Masterfireheart on topic Color Depth and Dithering
dunno about MadVR but I was planning on trying to do a dithering-megapack shader someday, with options for various algorithms and color masking, changing dither types for every frame sounds like hell but now I'm interested in how morphing between them at a slower rate would look
The following user(s) said Thank You: whatwwkd4496

• MonarchX
More
5 years 4 months ago #3 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Color Depth and Dithering

whatwwkd4496 wrote: add ability to set color depth from 1 to 10 bit and dithering modes like "Random Dithering", "Ordered Dithering", "Use Colored Noise" and "Change Dither For Every Frame", actually this is a MadVR feature, if you want to see an example install mpc and madvr and open a 60fps video, then in madvr settings in the devices -> properties, set native display bitdepth to at least 4bits (but i like 1bit better) then got to rendering -> dithering and select betwen "Random Dithering" and "Ordered Dithering" and toggle "Use Colored Noise" and "Change Dither For Every Frame" on and off, it looks superfun.

AFAIK, such dithering would have to be specific per-game. I am disappointed that Crosire removed random and ordered dithering, although I am not sure if it was up to him. The de-banding effect is not the same at all.

I need to start using some super-fine grain shader for games with banding issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: XIIICaesar, whatwwkd4496

• XIIICaesar
More
5 years 4 months ago #4 by XIIICaesar Replied by XIIICaesar on topic Color Depth and Dithering
Same here. I miss SweetFX Dither. It was still used in ENB until recent versions. TreyM has uploaded a shader Triangular Dithering but I cant get it to work correctly for me sadly.

• TreyM
More
5 years 4 months ago #5 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Color Depth and Dithering
There was a small bug breaking compatibility with DX11, but I fixed it. You can go grab it here: Triangular Dither

• XIIICaesar
More
5 years 4 months ago #6 by XIIICaesar Replied by XIIICaesar on topic Color Depth and Dithering
Thnx TreyM!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.