Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?

• Uncle Crassius
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #1 by Uncle Crassius Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible? was created by Uncle Crassius
Is there a way to modify PerfectPerspective to get a concave curvature instead of convex? Entering negative values doesn't work, unfortunately. Would be perfect for Alien: Isolation or Resident Evil 7 where fisheye shaders makes it hard to align MXAO properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fu-Bama
More
5 years 2 months ago #2 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?
It is possible, but I don't see the point. Alien Isolation does not have fisheye distortion in my opinion. Resident has, but I believe you can disable it in graphics settings under some post process quality.

• Uncle Crassius
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #3 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?
The MXAO pass definitely doesn't fit the final output image.

This is how it looks without reshade:

This is with RS and without Perfect Perspective. You notice a glow around the body's right leg, foot and the stool due to a misaligned MXAO pass:

Using PP to fix the issue in the center of the screen makes it worse on the outside. You should really try and have a look for yourself. As it stands now it seems impossible to get a perfect alignment and I've spent more time with it than I'd like to admit.

Changing graphics options like CA or changing FOV unfortunately doesn't help. Also there's no option to change fisheye in RE7 or if there is it won't help either.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Uncle Crassius.

• Uncle Crassius
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #4 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?
Alright, I can die (kinda) happy now. Using Alias Isolation actually gets rid of the distortion effect (seemingly the source of that abysmal aliasing) providing not only an anti aliased image but also anti misaligned MXAO. You'll notice the distortion in this comparison between vanilla and Alias Isolation.
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/129890
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Uncle Crassius.

• Fu-Bama
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #5 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?
Good to hear you found a solution. Regarding other games, I will soon release a shader (not related) that can do just that pincushion distortion.
PS: Haven't heard about Cinematic Tools, it looks interesting. Alias Isolation mod: github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Fu-Bama.

• Uncle Crassius
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #6 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?

Fu-Bama wrote: Good to hear you found a solution. Regarding other games, I will soon release a shader (not related) that can do just that pincushion distortion.
PS: Haven't heard about Cinematic Tools, it looks interesting. Alias Isolation mod: github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases

New shader always sounds good. Looking forward to it. Also yeah, Cinematic Tools are a must have for screenshotters. Matti Hietanen, the author, runs a website with adjusted tools for several other games.

• JBeckman
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #7 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?

Uncle Crassius wrote: Alright, I can die (kinda) happy now. Using Alias Isolation actually gets rid of the distortion effect (seemingly the source of that abysmal aliasing) providing not only an anti aliased image but also anti misaligned MXAO. You'll notice the distortion in this comparison between vanilla and Alias Isolation.
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/129890

Barrel distortion effect I think is what it's called, Duncan from DeadEndThrills posted a Cheat-Engine photo mode table from his Twitter account way back when the game was released that among other things disabled that though patches and such would likely have made it incompatible. Glad to hear Alias Isolation in addition to improving the SMAA T2X implementation also removes that little screen effect. :)

EDIT: The game ran well enough that I actually tried downsampling since the game can be run at any resolution and will just work it like downsampling in windowed mode but even 5120x2880 coupled with SMAA T2X still showed severe shader and specular aliasing though this was before Alias Isolation and other utilities were available. Kinda goes to show just how troublesome the aliasing in this game is when a 2x2 (Double width and height.) downsampling utilization still has no hope to ever resolve it and in addition to the default SMAA T2X mode at that. (Good for it's time even if it's no longer the best temporal AA method.)
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by JBeckman.

• Fu-Bama
More
5 years 2 months ago #8 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Perfect Perspective: Concave Shader possible?
This shader can produce pincushion distortion if you disable all effects beside "Perspective distortion"
reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/5104-vr-universal-shader
then set "Lens distortion power" to 0 and play with "Radial correction".
Each number corresponds to a radial range from the center. So first number will affect almost whole image, while the last one, borders of the screen. Trick is to move gradually from center to the corners when correcting the image.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.