Virtual Resolution sampling?

• beanluv
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #1 by beanluv Virtual Resolution sampling? was created by beanluv
Hello. I need some help with a shader, more specifically, one called Virtual Resolution.

(For context about my request, open the spoiler below.)
Warning: Spoiler!

I have a (hopefully) small request. Could somebody edit the shader so its sampling is nearest neighbor?

Shader: www.dropbox.com/s/jo9nsw5wb19nghy/VirtualResolution.fx?dl=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt Gore
More
4 years 8 months ago #2 by Matt Gore Replied by Matt Gore on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?
Well, the shader already supports that. Just add VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_DOWNFILTER=POINT to your PreprocessorDefinitions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beanluv

• beanluv
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #3 by beanluv Replied by beanluv on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?

Matt Gore wrote: Well, the shader already supports that. Just add VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_DOWNFILTER=POINT to your PreprocessorDefinitions.

Okay, so I tried adding it in through both the UI and the preset file, and nothing's really changed.
Here's what I'm trying to do:

• Matt Gore
More
4 years 8 months ago #4 by Matt Gore Replied by Matt Gore on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?
Well, all three images are identical and use nearest neighbor :D

So the game already scales the image the way you like, no reason to use shaders. Unless you would rather use bilinear:

• beanluv
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #5 by beanluv Replied by beanluv on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?

Matt Gore wrote: Well, all three images are identical and use nearest neighbor :D

So the game already scales the image the way you like, no reason to use shaders. Unless you would rather use bilinear:

Actually, if you look at the user display at the top for each screenshot, their positioning is somewhat different, not to mention the third one's user display is kinda blurry. :)

• Matt Gore
More
4 years 8 months ago #6 by Matt Gore Replied by Matt Gore on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?
Ah ok, I didn't look there. It seems to be shifted by one pixel compared to the rest and will get blurry because of the linear scaling. I don't know why the preprocessor definition isn't working but you can also just change line 8 to: #define VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_DOWNFILTER POINT

Btw, ReShade comes with a HQ4X shader, this is probably the best method.

• beanluv
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #7 by beanluv Replied by beanluv on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?

Matt Gore wrote: Ah ok, I didn't look there. It seems to be shifted by one pixel compared to the rest and will get blurry because of the linear scaling. I don't know why the preprocessor definition isn't working but you can also just change line 8 to: #define VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_DOWNFILTER POINT

Btw, ReShade comes with a HQ4X shader, this is probably the best method.

It didn't change anything. I did however notice that offsetting the width and height by one pixel makes the blurry pixels look normal while everything else is the opposite. I also had already changed line 8, and it didn't change anything.

As for the HQ4X shader, what settings do you recommend?

• Matt Gore
More
4 years 7 months ago #8 by Matt Gore Replied by Matt Gore on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?

beanluv wrote: As for the HQ4X shader, what settings do you recommend?

Sorry, I only know of its existence but don't have any games to use it x)

• beanluv
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #9 by beanluv Replied by beanluv on topic Virtual Resolution sampling?
Alright, so I just realized as I was resizing a screenshot through Paint.NET using some sort of sampling to prevent sprite theft that the sampling used was Super Sampling. It appears to be the same exact sampling the Virtual Resolution filter is using. Perhaps that could be disabled somehow?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by beanluv.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.