Post-processing 2D to 3D conversion.

• Continous
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by Continous Post-processing 2D to 3D conversion. was created by Continous
I've been using the z-buffer lately to apply to help be touch up in-game images and a novel idea donned on me. If can use the z-buffer to make 3D images like is done in Tri-def and similar programs, we could very well be the first to do so for free (minus AMD and NVidia, but they're implementation is lack-luster at best) and be able to let users modify the settings for it in the ini files.

I've done some snooping and looking and have found that many people have managed to use depth maps, albeit very precise depth maps, to create stereoscopic images. I'm curious to see if this can happen for ReShade since it works on damn near everything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Post-processing 2D to 3D conversion.
I'm not 100% sure if this is possible just with depth information. 3D usually works by slightly modifying the view matrix and thus "moving" the camera a little to get two different, offsetted pictures for each eye. But that requires to do some serious modification of the game specific render pipeline.

I'd be interested to hear about algorithms that do this differently though. There have to be some, since Tri-def and driver side solutions certainly do it much generically.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by crosire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.