Subsurface Scattering for specific game.

• jas01
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by jas01 Subsurface Scattering for specific game. was created by jas01
Hello ;)

*First of all sorry for my poor grammar.

My name is Jonathan. I'm a textures creator. I'm making Project - Graphical Enhancement for The Witcher 1 game . This is rather shader enhancement project. (thanks to Reshade and shader creators), but I want to make some new textures (faces, hairs etc.) for this game.I know that "Subsurface Scattering" can create a wonderful imitation of real skin. So I created this topic. I guess that not every game can have Subsurface Scattering, because this effect requires specific texture for specific face (something like this: 1 , 2 , 3 ). I have access to create any sort of required texture. So I'm looking for somebody who can create this shader ( Subsurface Scattering or Screen-Space Subsurface Scattering ) for this specific game. It is possible to create something like this with Reshade? I guess that yes, but let me know what you do think about this idea. :)

BTW. I'm looking for somebody who can create pseudo SSAO shader (imitation of SSAO) for games without depthbuffer access.

With kind regards,
jas01
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire. Reason: Fixed link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Subsurface Scattering for specific game.
ReShade cannot access these textures, so no. There is the possibility to turn the source image into the SSS texture source but then, this effect would apply to everything. If there were dedicated game shaders which could detect those textures and apply the effect only to them (using the actual SSS textures), then it would be possible. But not with ReShade.

From what I see on the page which describes the shader, I can see that the shader works almost same like my AO smoothening algorithm - blurring dependant of depth difference. I guess only the combination of blurred and original image is different.

ReShade is still a generic shader injector after all, nothing more complex than DOF and AO. Simple screenspace effects that can only apply on things that can be determined with depth and color only. Expect no rocket science. If I could do more than that with ReShade, we would already have volumetric clouds, complex water shader, stuff like that.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• jas01
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #3 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic Subsurface Scattering for specific game.
Thank you for your answer Marty. :)

Okay. I understand it. Since you can create those amazing stuff with enb series - Maybe you can do it that way? I know that old ENB for GTA San Andreas work pretty well with The Witcher. ENBSeries v0.075 is the best for this game. SSAO and DOF are working good, but they have some bugs. Here you can download dll that seems to work very well. Do you have time to add some effects to this game? (Subsurface Scattering or DOF and SSAO) Maybe you can fix ENB SSAO and DOF for this game?

Best wishes

• YOBA
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by YOBA Replied by YOBA on topic Subsurface Scattering for specific game.
Marty McFly

"this effect would apply to everything"

Madame Tussauds style ! :woohoo: Great Idea ! Marty, please, add SSS in your roadmap for MasterEffect, for ReShade, for us (Madame Tussauds fans).

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Subsurface Scattering for specific game.
I somehow doubt that the walls, ground etc in madame tussaud's are made of wax. It'll look plain stupid. The goal of SSS is to simulate some transparency of uppermost layer of the skin by applying a directional soft blur, applying it to everything is almost equal to a gaussian filter over the whole image. Sorry, but there are more senseful effects to spend time on.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Marty McFly.

• YOBA
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #6 by YOBA Replied by YOBA on topic Subsurface Scattering for specific game.
Marty McFly

"I somehow doubt that the walls, ground etc in madame tussaud's are made of wax."

I understand it (just wrote the first thing that came to mind). :side:

"applying it to everything is almost equal to a gaussian filter over the whole image"

I didn't know that it's so useless.

"Sorry, but there are more senseful effects to spend time on."

Ok.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by YOBA.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.