MXAO issue with GW2

• gemgames86
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #1 by gemgames86 MXAO issue with GW2 was created by gemgames86
So far this is the only effect I've had an issue with which is a bummer cause it looks phenomenal. Basically what's happening is I can enable MXAO (in-game ambient occlusion is turned off) and it looks great but as soon as I start running it turns off until I stop my character. It does seem to flicker a bit also even when running but definitely stops all that flickering stuff and stays on when standing still. Is there some sort of fix for it? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic MXAO issue with GW2
Depth access and therefore MXAO is disabled during network activity to prevent exploitation. This is a feature and not a bug.

• gemgames86
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by gemgames86 Replied by gemgames86 on topic MXAO issue with GW2
Is Reshade then mostly used just for screenshots when standing still? I noticed that a few of the effects I used turned off during character movement. Not just the MXAO. If you can only use it when standing still I kind of get the question pop into my head of "what's the point then?" Thanks!

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 9 months ago #4 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic MXAO issue with GW2
Effects that don't use the depth buffer should be fine. Try a SweetFX effect or something like ganossa's Bloom.

• gemgames86
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #5 by gemgames86 Replied by gemgames86 on topic MXAO issue with GW2
How do you know which use a depth buffer? This is all new to me and I've been trying different things for Guild Wars 2 but it seems like some things aren't compatible anymore from what I've read. I'm not entirely sure.

• JBeckman
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #6 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic MXAO issue with GW2
It can be a bit difficult, depth of field and ambient occlusion generally require depth to work as a rule, some of the cel effects can also have need of it.

github.com/crosire/reshade/network

As can be seen in the above graph there's also a number of builds since ReShade went open source that simply remove the network check, I'm using one from the Guild Wars 2 Reddit actually but it's primarily because it also incorporates some of the newer commits since 3.0.7 was released since I'm not too big on multiplayer myself but wanted to see what the newer changes might bring although I probably shouldn't link directly to it since Crosire is against having this function in the official version of ReShade due to concerns about anti-cheat and at worst having ReShade becoming blacklisted by software. :)

Easy anti-cheat for example, new releases of ReShade can take a while to get processed but they do get whitelisted which might not be the case if the injector could be used for gaining unfair advantages whether that's removing fog or well whatever else could be done that requires depth access.

EDIT: Kinda funny how Guild Wars 2 have had it's community being so interested in ReShade and having this functionality but the game is using a fairly old engine and improvements to depth of field and ambient occlusion without having the effect "flicker" on and off when you get near other players (Triggering network activity.) so they've been writing patches and modified versions of the .dll since at least version 2 somewhere.

EDIT: Oh and yeah don't hunt down modified .dll versions of this software from any non-trusted or unverified source of course, that could be catastrophic if someone were to stick malicious code into the .dll or it's installer just so you're aware of that fact, I'm not sure how much of a issue that is for ReShade but it's worth being aware of at least.
(So yeah the whole "GW2 Reddit." might be a bit too detailed coming just shy of linking to it directly but it's better than getting some weird thing on your system because some people are total ducks modifying software for malicious purposes.)
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JBeckman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.