Cinematic DoF no more edge blur settings

• WestLK
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #1 by WestLK Cinematic DoF no more edge blur settings was created by WestLK
In Cinematic DoF were settings for blurring the edges. Recently I had to download shaders set again, now there are no this settings in C-DoF.
An object in focus has only sharp edges.
Is there some way to add these settings back? Or i just need different shader version?
Sorry for bad English.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OtisInf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OtisInf
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #2 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Cinematic DoF no more edge blur settings
First please grab the latest version, it got updated this weekend.

You have the blur settings abit wrong. As the tooltip says: the blur has to be controlled mainly by focal length and aperture. You have focal length set to 40mm and aperture to 4. That is a combination to get very low blur and a very wide depth of field. You have then cranked up the blur a lot to 5 (I think I set a max to 4) to make the image blurry but you shouldn't do that, keep it between 0 and 2 for best results.

To get more blur, increase the focal length and decrease the aperture, so e.g. set focal length to e.g. 120 and aperture to 2 and far plane blur to e.g. 1 or even less. that should give plenty of far plane blur without sharp edges as you describe it. E.g. see this shot: www.flickr.com/photos/52066611@N00/44961946994/in/dateposted/

But perhaps I don't understand your question properly. In any case: things in-focus are sharp and have hard edges of course, things slightly out of focus are slightly blurred, and the more they get out of focus the blurrier they get. This is mainly controlled by focal length, aperture and the distance the focus point (i.e. your character) from the camera. the far plane blur setting is more to control how extreme a 100% out of focus point has to be blurred in your case, as this information isn't determinable from the depth buffer/image.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by OtisInf.

• WestLK
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #3 by WestLK Replied by WestLK on topic Cinematic DoF no more edge blur settings
Downloaded the latest version of the shaders, but nothing has changed.
I'm talking about this setting. I found it on your screenshot, this is the thing i need : D
Warning: Spoiler!

• OtisInf
More
5 years 5 months ago #4 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Cinematic DoF no more edge blur settings
ahh, that's no longer needed :) This might sound odd, but it was in old versions needed to define the blur of the edges in the near plane (that's before the focus plane. Your shots don't have that area, you need an area before the focus plane. See shots here: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/pull/109 ).

I rewrote the near plane bleed, and it now extends the blur edges based on the blur on the edges, so you don't need to do this manually. That said, you need to have the focus beyond the stuff you want to have blurred. Your shot has focus on the edge you want to have blurred, which of course won't happen :) In teh example shots in the link above, the vases are before the focus point which is on the wall with the book cases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WestLK

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.