MSAA

• maestrillo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by maestrillo MSAA was created by maestrillo
Hey, first of all, congrats for the good joob you made for reshade, it's amazing.

Now, I have one request. Is there any possibilitie to see MSAA as an AA option? That can be pretty awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic MSAA
Don't most games have a multisampling option these days? And if not, there still is driver-forced MSAA.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic MSAA
Driver forcing only works if there's a compatibility profile, for Nvidia you have Inspector so you can try different profiles and maybe get something that works with minimal glitches or even get SSAA working.

For AMD the game usually needs to support MSAA before overriding with different modes work, certain games allow you forcing AA but I don't think it works that well in newer (DX10+) titles and SSAA requires specific profiles to work otherwise it's just a huge performance hit for no real image quality improvements.
(EQAA requires MSAA to be supported by the game, Edge-Detect also requires compatibility profiles.)

As for MSAA being available in games these days I think it's not all too common even in D3D9 titles let alone D3D11, Mad Max, Metal Gear Solid V, Batman Arkham Knight, Star Citizen, ARK, Mortal Kombat 10, Witcher 3 and others don't support MSAA at all and usually only have basic FXAA if even that so I'm glad I can get ReShade and SMAA to work in most of them although depth buffer access can be a bit tricky in some games even if they aren't online.
(GTA V supports both MSAA and SSAA to name a game that is doing it right or how to say, heh.)

One of the reasons I was really glad GeDoSaTo started offering customizable downsampling though development is pretty much stopped currently so no 64-bit support or support for D3D11 or OpenGL, yet.
(Nvidia DSR solved this issue pretty well for Nvidia GPU's and AMD VSR allows for downsampling too now though it has to be modded a bit depending on your GPU model and monitors aspect ratio to allow higher resolution support, I'm mostly using 2880x1800 from 1920x1200 which works fairly well most of the time, Metal Gear Solid V still looks pretty aliased though but it only has a very blurry FXAA setting which I keep disabled and unfortunately there's that compatibility problem with ReShade so no way to make use of SMAA.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim

• klotim
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by klotim Replied by klotim on topic MSAA
Yepp, I would love this feature too, the more features the better!
It would be awesome if TXAA could be added to.

• mindu
More
8 years 7 months ago #5 by mindu Replied by mindu on topic MSAA
Agree, GTAV for example have really bad AA quality/performance and all antialiasing options are welcome here ;P

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.