I still can't enjoy Mediator.

• selfboil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #1 by selfboil I still can't enjoy Mediator. was created by selfboil
Hi! My name is Ilya, and i am a ReShade'o'holic.
While there is no cure for my disease, you may want to make my burden lighter. I am talking about Mediator. It is so hard to understand. No, i understand it's logic but i can't take it naturally.
Use case 1:
I chose the game. I made profile. I changed some variables. I pushed files to game folder. Now every time i make changes i have to push files to game folder. Apply is not enough anymore.
Use case 2:
I chose the game. I made profile. I changed some variables. I chose another game. I made profile. I changed some variables. I returned to previous game and it seems i am using profile from second game and it all screwed up.

You may say i am doing it wrong, there is some rules to do it right. But how about this: you will try to make UI where is no place to make a wrong decision.
Let's begin from the start. Let's make an hierarchy! I see it like this: Mediator >> GameProfile >> ShaderProfile.
So you launched Mediator. You are on "Mediator" level. Here you can choose options for Mediator (minimize, ontop, etc.) and have a list of games with a big shiny button "EDIT" to make it to the next level (or ">>" or anything that says clearly "go to next level"). Also here is a button "ADD" to browse for a game executable of course (not so big and shiny).
You are on "Mediator >> GameProfile" level. Here you can choose options for game (DirectX 8, 9, 99, OpenGL, etc.) and have a list of shader profiles with a big shiny button "EDIT" to make it to the next level (or ">>" or anything that says clearly "go to next level"). Also here is a button "ADD" to make a new shader profile of course (not so big and shiny).
You are on "Mediator >> GameProfile >> ShaderProfile" level. Here you can switch shaders on/off change load order and variables. It consist of two frames (sic!). The first one is a shader list and is a table with 4 columns [checkbox, load_order, shader_name, shader_pack] (sorting!!!). The second one is for variables for the shader that is choosed in the first one.
Now when you click "ADD" (Mediator, GameProfile) button in most cases you want to jump to next level immediately (after browsing for game, stating a name for shader profile of course).
On a "Mediator >> GameProfile" level when i choose or add shader profile i am linking it with a game.
Why symlink? I don't get it. What about hardlink/junction dll and whole reshade folder. Let's say you made a shaderprofile, save it to [drive_letter]:\...\[Reshade_folder]\Profiles\[profile_name]. Whole reshade structure except for dll in it. Also wright logs in it. Use junction to link [drive_letter]:\...\[Reshade_folder]\Profiles\[profile_name] with [drive_letter]:\...\[game_folder]\reshade\, hardlink *.dll to [drive_letter]:\...\[game_folder]\*.dll. Now you can do a fast report by simply zipping profile directory from your very app!
Hardlinks are not permitted between different drives, so in that case copy.

Use case 3:
I chose the game. I broke the game.
It was Morrowind with MGE which was already wrapped with d3d8.dll. Yes, i'm dumb, but it is you who let me shoot in my foot.

Now. Pushing files to directory. What is this goal you want to achieve? My case: flash drive + gzdoom + brutal doom + reshade. It's a portable install. I see it can be used for it. Why use it on your solid system? I say: avoid it. Hide it.

P.S.
I was enjoying ReShade before Mediator with only notepad++, i am enjoying it now. I do respect all the effort put in it's development. I obey you, guys.

P.P.S
If you think i'm stupid, maybe it is because i don't speak english. If it is not the cause then maybe i am.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Constantine PC
More
8 years 3 months ago #2 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic I still can't enjoy Mediator.
I like editing with notepad ++ still too.

I like how the mediator can get around anti-cheats like in ESO and that's why I use it there.
Also I am actually really familiar with it. Try individual mediator installations for each of your games.

I made a few tutorial videos for it. They are around here somewhere.

• phexitol
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #3 by phexitol Replied by phexitol on topic I still can't enjoy Mediator.
I recommend to not push to application. I always have Mediator open, as it doesn't use a lot of resources anyway. Make sure to tick "Minimize to taskbar" (@LuciferHawk: can we get an ini file so we can always have it do this if we want?).

The second problem: make sure you save a preset before switching to another game or making any further changes. That way, you can re-select your saved preset anytime you want it back.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by phexitol. Reason: LuciferHawk, not Crosire

• vladstad
More
8 years 3 months ago #4 by vladstad Replied by vladstad on topic I still can't enjoy Mediator.
i always use manual method instead of mediator. using text editor just seems clearer and cleaner to me.

• Eddy Stylez
More
8 years 1 month ago #5 by Eddy Stylez Replied by Eddy Stylez on topic I still can't enjoy Mediator.
The GUI for mediator has got to be one of the most un intuitive guis I've ever seen. Can we please get a standard GUI that doesn't have all these crazy effects and graphics?

• Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago #6 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic I still can't enjoy Mediator.
Maybe you should try the ReShade Assistant instead which came with the new 2.0 release.

For that, at the beginning of the following tutorial video ...

... you get explained how you can customize the look to have standard (so probably gray in gray) design without any icing effects like the blur.

In terms of navigation, the following post ...

reshade.me/forum/releases/1791-2-0?start=120#13414

... mentions how you can get a standard (click to nav) navigation.

You are most welcome :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddy Stylez

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.