Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework

• Thaerryn
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1 by Thaerryn Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework was created by Thaerryn
Hello Crosire, Lucifer and McFly

I know you are busy implementing the new single tool with all the shaders inside, That is a GREAT project ! Sorry if I repeat this over and over ;)

But let's think at the way "normal gamers" use your tool: I'm convinced that many of us integrates it with the game. I mean most of us use some/many shaders to achieve the look and feel they want.
What has this to do with AA ?
There are cases where the SMAA in reshade is not strong enough to correct artifacts.
These are other cases, where the PC HW can be strong enough to use both ingame AA and your shaders.

So my suggestion, what I'd like to have, is the possibility to Choose which AA i prefer.
Or, looking from the other way, I'd really like ReShade not to oblige me to disable ingame AA

I perfectly understand this is needed for some shader (DOF, AO etc) but it would be great to let the user decide which way to go.

my proposal:
Option 1) I choose to have in game AA enabled --> ok only some ReShade shaders will work (typically hues, color, light, sharpen etc)
Option 2) I choose to disable in game AA --> ALL ReShade shaders will work (SMAA, DOF, AO etc )

Is this possible ?
old SweetFx 1.4 was not conflicting with ingame AA for me. I was able to use them in parallel

Can we achieve this with Reshade ?

THANKS for your time reading this "long" suggestion/request

best regards

THAERRYN
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Thaerryn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
This is already possible =). You can safely enable ingame AA, ReShade works regardless. The only limitation is that when you enable ingame MSAA, effects using the depthbuffer will no longer work (DOF, SSAO, etc.). It's perfectly fine to stack ingame AA with one of the post AA shaders (SMAA, FXAA) as well.

• Thaerryn
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3 by Thaerryn Replied by Thaerryn on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
ok thx Crosire -
it looks like Im a bit dumb then

but then is not clear to me why in Dragon Age Origins, if I have AA on and ReShade (0.13.2)+ME, I got a completely corrupted screen
and no, I'm not using any depth buffer related shader....

Am I doing something wrong ?

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
What sort of AA?
And note, I'm soly talking about ingame configurable AA here, any driver forced AA is usually incompatible and I don't see a way to fix that, because the driver then uses various hacks which corrupt the injector.

• Thaerryn
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #5 by Thaerryn Replied by Thaerryn on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
Crosire
you are right once again ;-)

talking about Dragon Age Origins:
1) with AA ingame activated 8x --> no problem in using ReShade + SweetFx
2) with AA 8x forced via inspector --> game is corrupted and not playable

I still have one tech question though: how is possible that old SweetFx (up to 1.5) allowed me to use the Nvidia inspector AA Forced AND the shaders together, while "ReShade 0.14+SweetFX 2.0" do not allow this ?

More important: ReShade doesn't allow the use of forced AA for now (beta 0.14) or it wont be able to do it "for ever and ever" ?

Thanks

Thae

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
ReShade does a few things to be compatible with ingame MSAA (redirects the backbuffer and such). InjectSMAA (old SweetFX injector) didn't do this, which made it incompatible to most ingame AA methods.
These changes are incompatible with driverside AA however, so it's a question of if ReShade should support ingame AA methods or driver AA methods and I personally think the former is the better choice =). Doesn't mean I won't find a way to make them both possible in the future, but that's the status as of now.

• Grushnag
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #7 by Grushnag Replied by Grushnag on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
In many older games (which are the ones I would use reshade on) the only decent AA is driverside.
For example, Dishonored (or any UE3 game) has absolutely awful antialiasing unless you force it through the driver.
In the latest version of reshade, is there any way to make it compatible with driverside AA?
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Grushnag.

• alter3go
More
5 years 3 months ago #8 by alter3go Replied by alter3go on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework
well, i dont know how this is possible but today reshade dof worked with ingame msaa on! happened just one time, tryed 10 times more restart, didnt work.
usually i need to disable in game MSAA to make reshade DOF works.. this is weird but the fact that worked makes me crazy

• BONKERS
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #9 by BONKERS Replied by BONKERS on topic Ingame AntiAliasing with the new ReShade framework

crosire wrote: What sort of AA?
And note, I'm soly talking about ingame configurable AA here, any driver forced AA is usually incompatible and I don't see a way to fix that, because the driver then uses various hacks which corrupt the injector.

* I realize I am replying to old posts but it is still relevant for those who may be seeing this topic later *

This is actually not true.
You can use forced AA(Whether it's MSAA or SSAA) with Nvidia cards and Reshade just fine and have been able to for a long time.
Nvidia's drivers actually have a bit specifically for use with DX9 AA compatibility flags for Depth that allows Reshade and Forced AA (Whether using Depth based effects or not) to work just fine.

0x00400000
All you have to do is add this bit to the compatibility flag in Nvidia Profile Inspector (If the game has a custom one listed or one set by Nvidia. All you have to do is modify that flag to have that 4 in the third slot as shown in addition to the flag. This will allow force AA to work when using Reshade. Even if you aren't using any Depth based effects. (Because in most cases forcing AA won't work when using reshade even if not using Depth detection)

Example:
u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/22248020180201015509.png
u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/rerev201802010132092.png
This is Resident Evil Revelations with 4xSGSSAA forced via the driver + Reshade DoF using autofocus (Requires Depth) and a bunch of other shaders like LIftGammaGain,Lumasharp,Filmgrain2,Border,etc.

Recently played through F.E.A.R and Reshade Depth effects worked fine there as well with forced AA. (Even with soft shadows enabled. Though that is not a great option anyway since they look bad and cause artifacts with AA) u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/FEARXP20190601235721.png u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/FEARXP20190601235424.png

So I wish you guys would update your site to reflect this information in that regard. Forcing AA in the drivers works with reshade in every single case i've tested by just using the Depth Bit. Once in a while you encounter a game that can be kind of buggy with the DoF, where you have to do a specific thing like change a certain setting or if you alt-tab out the effect stops working. FEAR for example if you alt tab out once you get it to work it will stop working and you have to keep alt tabbing back in and out until it works again. But once it's working in game there's no issue.

It sucks because embedding the spreadsheet no longer works at Guru3D's forums, but it's visible in the top section of the spreadsheet for DX9 AA flags too if you have ever looked at it.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ekUZsK2Y...6OCo/pub?output=html
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by BONKERS.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.