Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"

• NotSoSweet
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #1 by NotSoSweet Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24" was created by NotSoSweet
Currently it is not possible (you will get an empty file as a result) to capture screenshots with ReShade because of:

WARN | Screenshots are not supported for back buffer format 24.

Please can you do something about it? :blush: For example new Mass Effect Andromeda is affected by this problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #2 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
The game has a interesting option for setting depth to either compressed (32-bits, 8-bit color?) or half (64-bits, 10-bit color?) which I'm guessing is what could be causing this, I don't know of many games that allow this to be altered besides Mass Effect and Alien Isolation (Deep Color, support for 10b-bit instead of 8) and I'm assuming it won't really do much for most users since they're either on 8-bit panels or 8+2 FRC "10-bit" panels though there are native 10-bit displays too now along with the TV HDR displays outputting 12 or even 16-bit color depth or how to describe it, I'm no expert on how it all works but color accuracy and clarity along with support for HDR (Game is the first to support Dolby Atmos as well.) and also a reduction of color banding.

Needs a actual compatible display though, there is a difference between 6+2 "8-bit" 8-bit, 8+2 "10-bit" and native 10-bit eh I'm probably making it complicated. :D

DirectX 11.x color and depth buffer formats and all that.
(Deep color or what not, also probably the 24-bit and 30-bit BCT D3D10+ texture formats and all that.)

Anyway toggling that might be worth trying if ReShade does not support this format, yet?

EDIT:
D3DFMT_X1R5G5B5 = 24,

That perhaps?
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows...SPPError=-2147217396
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by JBeckman.

• crosire
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
Game uses a 10 bit per color channel format (DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM = 24). Since most image formats store data in 8 bit per channel, this would need conversion first, which ReShade does not currently do and as such errors.

• NotSoSweet
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #4 by NotSoSweet Replied by NotSoSweet on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
Well i found a way to make screenshots in Andromeda with MSI Afterburner on top of ReShade, but one overlay on top of another is a really good way to corrupt something in the process... :pinch:

• Zarathustra
More
6 years 11 months ago #5 by Zarathustra Replied by Zarathustra on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"

NotSoSweet wrote: Well i found a way to make screenshots in Andromeda with MSI Afterburner on top of ReShade, but one overlay on top of another is a really good way to corrupt something in the process... :pinch:

I have used Afterburner (framerate limiting + screenshots) and ReShade together in many games and never had any problem with that combination.

• Niko of Death
More
4 years 8 months ago #6 by Niko of Death Replied by Niko of Death on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"

crosire wrote: Game uses a 10 bit per color channel format (DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM = 24). Since most image formats store data in 8 bit per channel, this would need conversion first, which ReShade does not currently do and as such errors.

Sorry to necrobump but didn't want to make a new topic for something already discussed - This error has become more prevalent recently, as most (if not all, at least in my experience) Unreal Engine 4 games suffer from this problem, even ones that don't support HDR (which I at first assumed was the issue). Examples of UE4 games I've encountered this issue in: Bright Memory, Tetris Effect, Tekken 7, Ace Combat 7, Bloodstained. Assuming conversion has been avoided in order to avoid screenshot times, maybe just have it as an option?

• crosire
More
4 years 8 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
Screenshot support has been added for 10-bit formats now in github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/eabde4...47329fca46025a98351d .
The following user(s) said Thank You: JBeckman, Matt Gore

• Matt Gore
More
4 years 8 months ago #8 by Matt Gore Replied by Matt Gore on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
Great!

Though I would also be happy if it could be output as PNG without degrading color precision, as PNG supports up to 16 bpc and because I sometimes like further color adjustments in GIMP. ;)

Btw, would it even be possible to force games to always use DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10... or DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16...? Because I think I heard somewhere, that games would be internally using 32 bpc (linear light?) before writing to the back buffer.

• kilyan
More
4 years 7 months ago #9 by kilyan Replied by kilyan on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
i have latest reshade and still doesn't work

• crosire
More
4 years 7 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #10 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Screenshot support for "back buffer format 24"
EDIT: This has been released now in 4.6.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by crosire.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.