Increasing the speed of screenshot capture

• Coreda
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1 by Coreda Increasing the speed of screenshot capture was created by Coreda
While setting up ReShade for Cuphead I've noticed that using ReShade's screenshot hotkey causes the game to freeze the displayed image for a full 1-2 seconds while it captures before resuming the action. MSI Afterburner on the other hand causes no slowdown when taking screenshots, which is what I normally use as I'm not always adding ReShade to games.

Since I have the non-Steam version I can't test Steam's speed for comparison though typically it's somewhere in between with usually no slowdown but on some occasions causing the game to freeze for a second or so upon capture (usually in demanding scenes).

Is there any way to increase the speed of ReShade's capture? In my tests with Cuphead at 1440p and no shaders enabled ReShade consistently freezes the screen each time the hotkey is pressed, which obviously interrupts whatever is on screen and isn't exactly a pleasant effect, sometimes leading to hit damage if the game doesn't catch up in time after resuming. It also seems a bit odd given it doesn't seem like a particularly demanding game being in 2D and I believe using scaled assets.

All the best and thanks for the new in-game UI, has made it super convenient to adjust settings :)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Coreda.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brussell
More
6 years 6 months ago #2 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Increasing the speed of screenshot capture
Are you sure that Cuphead doesn't use the same key for screenshots as ReShade (default: Print)?

• Coreda
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #3 by Coreda Replied by Coreda on topic Increasing the speed of screenshot capture

brussell wrote: Are you sure that Cuphead doesn't use the same key for screenshots as ReShade (default: Print)?

Nope, nothing in the game is bound to the same key. Also in ReShade I mapped F12 for the screenshot feature.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 6 months ago #4 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Increasing the speed of screenshot capture
Most overlays capture ReShade effects in the screenshots, so just use afterburner/shadowplay/steam/something.

• Coreda
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #5 by Coreda Replied by Coreda on topic Increasing the speed of screenshot capture

FierySwordswoman wrote: Most overlays capture ReShade effects in the screenshots, so just use afterburner/shadowplay/steam/something.

In this case I can't since Afterburner fails to the detect its screenshot hotkey that I mapped to a DS4 controller button via DS4Windows—unlike other games which it has no issue detecting via the DS4—even when adding an additional macro which inserts a key up delay. Also not using the Steam version so that option is off the table. So I figured ReShade might work—and it does—but it adds a significant displayed freeze when capturing screenshots.

It's in the suggestions sub-forum so at least it might get a few eyeballs from the devs, if such a reduction in capture time is feasible.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 6 months ago #6 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Increasing the speed of screenshot capture
Fraps/Bandicam/Etc (if those are still alive), Shadowplay (and probably the AMD equivalent), and even Windows have good screenshot features.
No offence to ReShade, but there's a lot of better solutions out there than for screen capture. ReShade's is really only superior to hitting "print screen" then pasting into an image editor.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.