Add ui_type distinction for Boolean

• TreyM
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #1 by TreyM Add ui_type distinction for Boolean was created by TreyM
I kind of miss the dropdown Enabled/Disabled functionality of the way booleans used to behave. The checkmark is nice, but having booleans respond to ui_type would be nice.

Perhaps ui_type = "combo" for booleans could be a way to show booleans the old way for those who wish to do so.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by TreyM.
The topic has been locked.
  • crosire
More
5 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean
Sounds good, will do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TreyM
  • TreyM
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean
Thanks, crosire. :)
  • OtisInf
More
5 years 6 months ago #4 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean
Please don't do this. I get the urge to have 'enable/disable' combo boxes, but they're really not that user friendly: you have to click them open, then select the option, while a checkbox is 1 click. I always hated the enable/disable combo boxes.

But perhaps I'm overlooking a usability aspect, so I'm curious what made you want them back? In my own software I'd never use a combobox if a checkbox would suffice so I'm curious why one would prefer the combobox :) Thanks.
  • TreyM
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #5 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean

Please don't do this.

Dude... just stop. It's an optional "ui_type" toggle. Design your shader UI how you want it designed. No one is forcing you to use this.

In my own software I'd never use a combobox if a checkbox would suffice

So... don't? Unless crosire implements it some other way, my request leaves the default behavior as a checkbox. What are you even complaining about?

I will never understand people complaining about someone else's feature request with "Please don't give us options!"
  • Marty McFly
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #6 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean
It's designed to be optional, as evidenced by this:

TreyM wrote: Perhaps ui_type = "combo" for booleans could be a way to show booleans the old way for those who wish to do so.

Don't see any issue with that then - I prefer check boxes but as long as this here is not the default option, it should be fine...?
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Marty McFly.
  • OtisInf
More
5 years 6 months ago #7 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean

TreyM wrote:

Please don't do this.

Dude... just stop. It's an optional "ui_type" toggle. Design your shader UI how you want it designed. No one is forcing you to use this.

In my own software I'd never use a combobox if a checkbox would suffice

So... don't? Unless crosire implements it some other way, my request leaves the default behavior as a checkbox. What are you even complaining about?

I will never understand people complaining about someone else's feature request with "Please don't give us options!"

Oh you misunderstood me, it was meant for shader devs not to do this but to use checkboxes. :) If crosire wants to add this, that's fine, what I just wanted to know, which was a serious question, is: why would one want to use a combobox over a checkbox? (just to learn a reason for doing that, so e.g. I could use that reason to use comboboxes too if that reason applies).

My remark 'don't do this' for shader devs was purely so I'm not confronted with shaders that use comboboxes over checkboxes, that's all. If you have a good reason though, I'd really like to know, you brought it up so you must have a reason why you'd like to have this, so I'd like to learn why so I understand it better.

So, just curious about your reason why you'd want this so I have a better understanding what the use case could be/is :)
  • TreyM
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #8 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Add ui_type distinction for Boolean
I mean... I already gave my partial reasons in the OP...

My remark 'don't do this' for shader devs was purely so I'm not confronted with shaders that use comboboxes over checkboxes

Seriously? Who cares?

You like checkboxes. Congrats. Continue to use them. There is no magical reason other than personal preference and the god-awful aesthetic appearance of a left aligned checkbox breaking up center aligned elements.

If this bothers you so much in the future, if you see a shader using combo mode, feel free to take all of 2 minutes removing the "ui_type" from the booleans.

crosire, this is your forum, so of course it's your decision, but if you'd like to lock this thread down now, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.