Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

• Sami 1999
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #1 by Sami 1999 Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled was created by Sami 1999
Now I know something's wrong with the latest version of Windows 10 that make's reshade incompatible with Fullscreen optimizations disabled and you might wonder why do I want to even disable FS Optimization. Well the answer is Scanline Sync. This new syncing method allows users to get adaptive vsync experience without the input lag of adaptive vsync.

Unfortunately, if Fullscreen Optimization is enabled, then scanline Vsync doesn't work with downsampled resolutions. Infact, Vsync off doesn't work at all. Windows 10's DWM takes over and prevents screen tearing on games but unlike regular Vsync, windows 10's DWM works like Open Gl's Triple Buffer/ Nvidia's Fast sync but adds severe input lag [Which makes it worthless]. Also, since it doesn't work like regular Vsync, the frame times aren't synchronized and results in microstutters/ skipping and stutters just like Fast sync. It is possible to at least prevent the stutters by enabling Vsync and using FPS limiter to even out the frame times. But it defeats the purpose of scanline sync.

So far, the only way to use Scanline Vsync/ Adaptive Vsync on Fullscreen with downsampled resolutions is by disabling FS Optimization but that means Reshade can't be used. However, Nvidia DSR doesn't suffer from this issue. But downsampling using custom resolution is a lot better since the filtering method by DSR is garbage and only looks okay on 4x multiples of the native resolutions.

I don't know if it can be fixed, hopefully it won't be that hard. Then again, it's windows 10's and Nvidia's fault for not fixing their shit. I've already posted about these issues on Geforce forums but like always, Nvidia won't be bothered to fix anything. I will post more info if I figure out anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Martigen
More
5 years 4 months ago #2 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled
Reshade works with FSO disabled. All my games are FSO disabled -- have to, I use SLI :)

What makes you think it doesn't? What games are you having a problem with?

Edit: I'm on 1803 fwiw, and you say 'latest version of Windows 10' are you on 1809?

• Sami 1999
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #3 by Sami 1999 Replied by Sami 1999 on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

Martigen wrote: What makes you think it doesn't? What games are you having a problem with?

What makes me think? You are saying that I just think it doesn't work without actually trying it?

Let me see what didn't run:

-House of Dead 3
-FiFA 10
-FiFA 09
-Sega Model 2 emulator
-kega Fusion
-FiFA 15

Basically anything I try. The games wont even start.

• TreyM
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #4 by TreyM Replied by TreyM on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

What makes me think? You are saying that I just think it doesn't work without actually trying it?

Dude... drop the snark. There's no need for that.

Logic should tell you the problem is on your end if you're BOTH on 1803 and you're having issues and he isn't.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by TreyM.

• Sami 1999
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #5 by Sami 1999 Replied by Sami 1999 on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

TreyM wrote:

Dude... drop the snark. There's no need for that.

Logic should tell you the problem is on your end if you're BOTH on 1803 and you're having issues and he isn't.

FS Optimization issue isn't only affecting me. I've seen it on other threads [Example: reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/4574-cr...aunch-with-dx9-games ]

• MonarchX
More
5 years 2 months ago #6 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled
Try build 1809. I think MS improved FSE in it. I no longer disable it and have no issues.

• Sami 1999
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #7 by Sami 1999 Replied by Sami 1999 on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

MonarchX wrote: Try build 1809. I think MS improved FSE in it. I no longer disable it and have no issues.

Unfortunately it still forces DWM Sync when using custom resolution to downsample.

• MonarchX
More
5 years 2 months ago #8 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled
Your best bet would be to ask about this on BlurBusters forums. They have Sync experts and they go deep into those discussions. If custom resolution is the only DWM-Sync-forcing scenario then it may be up to NVidia drivers to fix the problem, may not even be Windows-related. I also know that some Unity-engine-based games, like Pillars of Eternity, do not even support FSE and that disabling FSE in DirectX 9 games also disables G-Sync. FSE Optimization remains a mystery to many... It does something with mouse sensitivity and I can't even explain what it does... It's like it makes the mouse glide... differently. On BlurBusters I posted a link to some MS tutoring videos that go into detail about the new "flip" methods in DWM and FullScreen, etc., bla bla...

Luckily, there's always Windows 1607-14393 without FSE Optimization. I would also suggest to make a clean Windows 10 install with all Game-related crap removed and only NTLite (free version) can do it cleanly. Even Windows 10 1607-14393 had KnownGameList.bin file and game-related DLL files that would hook onto File Explorer, detect whichever games you're playing, and enforce some settings. In NTLite you need to have 2 main components removed before OS install - Game Explorer (from Media) and Xbox (System Apps).

• Sami 1999
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #9 by Sami 1999 Replied by Sami 1999 on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

MonarchX wrote: Your best bet would be to ask about this on BlurBusters forums. They have Sync experts and they go deep into those discussions. If custom resolution is the only DWM-Sync-forcing scenario then it may be up to NVidia drivers to fix the problem, may not even be Windows-related. I also know that some Unity-engine-based games, like Pillars of Eternity, do not even support FSE and that disabling FSE in DirectX 9 games also disables G-Sync. FSE Optimization remains a mystery to many... It does something with mouse sensitivity and I can't even explain what it does... It's like it makes the mouse glide... differently. On BlurBusters I posted a link to some MS tutoring videos that go into detail about the new "flip" methods in DWM and FullScreen, etc., bla bla...

Luckily, there's always Windows 1607-14393 without FSE Optimization. I would also suggest to make a clean Windows 10 install with all Game-related crap removed and only NTLite (free version) can do it cleanly. Even Windows 10 1607-14393 had KnownGameList.bin file and game-related DLL files that would hook onto File Explorer, detect whichever games you're playing, and enforce some settings. In NTLite you need to have 2 main components removed before OS install - Game Explorer (from Media) and Xbox (System Apps).

I found something interesting. I realized why others are saying they aren't facing the same issue.

DWM sync on custom downsampled resolution is forced only with DirectX 9 and 8 dlls of reshade. Any game that uses dx11 works with with FSE disabled with custom downsampled resolutions.

Don't know why this happened but at least I finally got lead that might be useful.

• Skinner
More
4 years 9 months ago #10 by Skinner Replied by Skinner on topic Reshade with Fullscreen Optimization Disabled

MonarchX wrote: Your best bet would be to ask about this on BlurBusters forums. They have Sync experts and they go deep into those discussions. If custom resolution is the only DWM-Sync-forcing scenario then it may be up to NVidia drivers to fix the problem, may not even be Windows-related. I also know that some Unity-engine-based games, like Pillars of Eternity, do not even support FSE and that disabling FSE in DirectX 9 games also disables G-Sync. FSE Optimization remains a mystery to many... It does something with mouse sensitivity and I can't even explain what it does... It's like it makes the mouse glide... differently. On BlurBusters I posted a link to some MS tutoring videos that go into detail about the new "flip" methods in DWM and FullScreen, etc., bla bla...

I've have the latest w10 and I couldn't have made a worser choice.. I have SLI and also need exclusive fullscreen for the best perf., smoothness etc.
I simply cann't disable FSO anymore in many games, resulting in lower SLI perf.
I've searched the net but the mentioned common tricks won't work any more.
Is it really impossible now in V1903?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.