TERA CTD on startup!

• hallowieners
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1 by hallowieners TERA CTD on startup! was created by hallowieners
TERA crashes to startup using ReShade. I see the ReShade start up screen, and hear the the first part of the cinematic movie that plays on the game's startup, then immediately crash to desktop after.
I'm on Windows 10, with an R9 270.

Pastebin for d3d9.log
pastebin.com/8x0K1Gdb

Pastebin for d3d9.tracelog
pastebin.com/nTxNJ3zq
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by hallowieners.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!
You need to install the DirectX end-user runtime for some missing D3DCompiler components on Windows 10: www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?...laylanguage=en&id=35 .

• hallowieners
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by hallowieners Replied by hallowieners on topic TERA CTD on startup!
The websetup there reports that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX is installed.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic TERA CTD on startup!
www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You could try the full version, my opinion is that it should have been part of Windows by default but for some reason MS decided to leave out some of the additional DirectX component unless you install this.
(Or run the web version which will check and update as required but running the full version doesn't hurt, just that it hasn't been updated since 2010 though the components are still used in newer versions of Windows so it's a good idea to ensure it's been installed.)

EDIT: I think that by default you only have the "core" of DirectX installed whereas this installs the "add-on" components and subversions such as the various _xx files where "xx" is a number up to I think the newest is 47
(There's probably a more accurate term for this with the DirectX documentation and it's SDK which is now included with the Windows SDK as a single larger install for developing on Windows.)

Most of the components are up to date with Windows 7 but since this runtime hasn't been updated in a few years (And instead it's now part of the larger Windows SDK and it's DirectX components.) anyways there's a few newer components with Windows 8 and D3D11.x which Microsoft didn't include with the OS so games using these generally have those files in their binary folders and they are not included in the above DirectX install, I believe that it's the D3DCompiler_46.dll primarily. (D3D11.1 related I think.)

With 8.1 Microsoft actually included the new DirectX files by default (D3DCompiler_47.dll primarily, I think it's for D3D11.2 but it might be used in other DX API's too for all I know.) so it seems to be a bit random if components are included with Windows or separated and left to the SDK and then distributed on a per-game basis though the older runtimes are as mentioned still not part of a default Windows install and have to be installed separately.
(It's a bit different from one runtime to another on how you are allowed to redistribute the files or the installer, for the VC++ runtimes I believe you are only allowed to include the MS installer and not the actual component .dll files.)

If you use Steam or Origin or UPlay most of the games will actually contain runtime redistributable files for DirectX, .Net and VC++ (2005 to 2015 depending on the game.) so it's highly likely you actually have a up to date DirectX install already but it doesn't hurt to re-install it, it won't overwrite anything if it already exists.

Anyway that's nothing important, check the full redist above (It's from Microsoft directly so it's clean.) and see if that fixes the error though if the web installer already said it was up to date it should already be installed, likely as part of another game setup via one of the digital download clients, Steam primarily but Origin and UPlay have similar systems for these required runtimes. :)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VoidsShadow

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!
JBeckman described it perfectly. ReShade makes use of D3DCompiler_43.dll which is not part of Windows 10 by default, it's from the June 2010 runtimes. I could update to a newer version, but that would cause issues on Windows 7, because there version 43 is the last that can be installed. Anything newer must be distributed manually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VoidsShadow

• hallowieners
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6 by hallowieners Replied by hallowieners on topic TERA CTD on startup!
I should have mentioned that I already have that installed, as other games I've played have required me to install it. I just tried reinstalling it again, but that did not fix the crash.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by hallowieners.

• crosire
More
8 years 6 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!
Is there a D3DCompiler_43.dll in your \Windows\system32 and \Windows\SysWOW64 folders?

• hallowieners
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #8 by hallowieners Replied by hallowieners on topic TERA CTD on startup!

crosire wrote: Is there a D3DCompiler_43.dll in your \Windows\system32 and \Windows\SysWOW64 folders?

Yeah, they're both there.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #9 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic TERA CTD on startup!
Is it a specific preset you are using or did you download the default 1.00 version from here?
If you did not download ReShade from here you could try that and then start the game when you are using the default ReShade files and that could tell if it's something with that particular preset or not, of course if you're already using the original 1.00 release from this website this won't really be of much help.

TERA is using CryEngine I believe which I don't think there's any particular compatibility problems with unless as a MMO they use some form of anti-cheat detection which could block ReShade or just trigger the game to crash when it detects ReShade trying to inject into the game data.

I'll search around a bit to see if there's some more info on TERA and ReShade compatibility, I also noticed from the tracelog that you have the game on the D: drive (There's no real personal info in that file but it shows from where the game was started with full folder paths.) but I don't think ReShade has a issue with such setups though some older games have had problems if they can't access a Documents folder on the drive where the game was installed but that doesn't have anything to do with this issue.
(Pretty sure the tracelog mentioned the game using DirectX 9 and being 32-bit as well so no issues there, something when it tries to compile some triangle shader and then it crashes which is probably why Crosire asked about the D3D compiler files since that's where it looks like things fall apart.)

EDIT: Tera is UE3 it seems, I don't think that's a issue either (There is a problem with UE4 however but that's not the problem here.) and ReShade does attempt to load and initialize when the game is started so it's something else later on in that process.
(UE3 can have problems initializing the depth buffer hook of ReShade or well ReShade has problems grabbing the depth info from UE3 but as a MMO game it will be blocked anyway as part of the protection in ReShade to avoid exploits in multiplayer as it turns off the depth detection when network traffic is detected.)

EDIT: Can't find anything on if ReShade has any problems with TERA, just the usual advice on how you should make sure the anti-virus solution isn't blocking things or other overlays causing conflicts.
(Running as admin might help but as the game is located on a separate HDD Windows UAC shouldn't try to block it though I don't know how it works when ReShade is injected, probably terrible advice but you could always try to copy D3DCompiler_43.dll from SysWoW64 into the bin folder of TERA and see if that helps but I don't think it will and it's best to leave system files alone but if you do try it remember to copy the file, never move files from the Windows folder.)

(Actually it's probably a terrible practice to leave system files in other folders but some programs do so anyway, xinput1_3.dll is pretty common to find in various game folders and programs such as UPlay and then there's the earlier mentioned d3dcompiler_46.dll which I think is used in most Frostbite and CryEngine engine game installs and also other programs such as for example Firefox and EA Origin though with that particular file there's not much of a choice since it's neither part of Windows by default nor part of the current DirectX runtime redistributable.)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JBeckman.

• hallowieners
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #10 by hallowieners Replied by hallowieners on topic TERA CTD on startup!
I downloaded the default version. I've also tried a custom preset but that I still crashed.
I just tried copying the D3DCompiler_43.dll to TERA's directory, but that didn't seem to alleviate the crash.
Thanks for the extra info though. :)

• amckinlay
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #11 by amckinlay Replied by amckinlay on topic TERA CTD on startup!
I am encountering nearly the same issue. My tracelog output is similar (the game crashes while ReShade is compiling shaders). I also see `Failed to install hook for '0x62424690' with status code 3.` in the log as reported in reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/706-ter...ne-sweetfx-2-0-crash .

However, ReShade works fine when `RFX_InitialStorage'` and `RFX_DepthBufferCalc` are disabled in `Common.cfg`.

Perhaps there is some anti-cheat mechanism causing the CTD?

*Running ReShade 1.0.0 on Windows 10*
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by amckinlay. Reason: Add link to similar thread

• amckinlay
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #12 by amckinlay Replied by amckinlay on topic TERA CTD on startup!
Nevermind. ReShade worked without `RFX_InitialStorage` and `RFX_DepthBufferCalc` because the single effect I had enabled could not be loaded (I think it disabled the depth buffer viewing effect in `Basic.cfg`). The crash occurs with any effect enabled, including non-depth buffer dependent effects (such as luma-only SMAA).

I tested the same version of ReShade with Guild Wars 2 on the same system and everything works.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by amckinlay.

• SingAlongThemeSong
More
8 years 5 months ago #13 by SingAlongThemeSong Replied by SingAlongThemeSong on topic TERA CTD on startup!
Hey everyone!

I've got some curious info to add to this mystery. I was in the same situation a few months ago with TERA CTDing on startup. After some searching on Google, there seems to be an issue with the newer versions of Reshade and TERA, causing immediate CTDs. Apparently, only the older versions of Reshade work with TERA. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea why TERA stopped working with newer versions of Reshade.

Looking at my TERA folder, it says version "0.18.0.832" of Reshade is being used.
Warning: Spoiler!

Warning: Spoiler!

So if you absolutely have to use Reshade, you should probably find a version around that number(OR just use Sweetfx?). It's a bit of a shame though, because all the new stuff is really fantastic, and like the compat page says, none of the depthbuffer-dependent effects work

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!
It would be great to know the exact last version that works. Because then I can check the code changes and scan them for possible bugs that were intrdouced with them.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire.

• amckinlay
More
8 years 5 months ago #15 by amckinlay Replied by amckinlay on topic TERA CTD on startup!

crosire wrote: It would be great to know the exact last version that works. Because then I can check the code changes and scan them for possible bugs that were intrdouced with them.

Is there an archive of old releases?

• SingAlongThemeSong
More
8 years 5 months ago #16 by SingAlongThemeSong Replied by SingAlongThemeSong on topic TERA CTD on startup!

crosire wrote: It would be great to know the exact last version that works. Because then I can check the code changes and scan them for possible bugs that were intrdouced with them.

Of the reshade files I have, 18.0 works fine, while 18.4/7 ctd's. I don't have any of the versions between those, although I tried the 18.3 sweetfx version from thelazy and it also crashed, but I'm not sure if the dll's are switchable like that.

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago #17 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!

amckinlay wrote: Is there an archive of old releases?

www.dropbox.com/sh/jzn2jsb0zt55ci3/AAAjI.../ReShade%20Only?dl=0

• SingAlongThemeSong
More
8 years 5 months ago #18 by SingAlongThemeSong Replied by SingAlongThemeSong on topic TERA CTD on startup!
18.3 crashes for me. 18.1/2 load up fine.

• amckinlay
More
8 years 5 months ago #19 by amckinlay Replied by amckinlay on topic TERA CTD on startup!

SingAlongThemeSong wrote: 18.3 crashes for me. 18.1/2 load up fine.

Just did some testing and can confirm.

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago #20 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic TERA CTD on startup!
The only major change on the rendering backend between 0.18.2 and 0.18.3 involves the handling of multisampling in Direct3D10+ games. Check what happens if you disable MSAA in-game prior to using ReShade.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.