No Man's Sky - SMAA : Can't access depth-buffer

• Annihlator
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #1 by Annihlator No Man's Sky - SMAA : Can't access depth-buffer was created by Annihlator
Using an AMD R9-290x and various combinations of older and newer versions of ReShader/SweetFX I'm hunting after issues related to SMAA.
I'm mainly using ReShade 2.0.3 with SweetFX 2.0, only referring to different versions in an attempt to get hints for things to look into

Whichever attempt from the newer or older versions; I can't seem to get a hold of the depth-buffer.
Sometimes it appears succesful; The intro-scene always displays a white border with a black cutout, however It's worth mentioning that these sizes already do not seem to relate to the actual splash-screen's image positions nor sizes (The cutout is way too small to match...)

However, after the splashscreens, all the debugging depth-shader shows is a full-black or full-white image, depending on wether I inverse it or not.

I've already got some sort of a fix for my case for another issue with MSAA; On my card whenever applying MSAA the resulting image seems mapped to linear instead of sRGBA.

My immensely simple (and for assumably many other situations resulting in deminishing returns; haven't checked this as-of yet.) workaround is in the end of the SweetFX/Shaders/SMAAWrap.h file, I've changed it to be so:
		#else

float3 color = SMAANeighborhoodBlendingPS(texcoord, offset, colorLinearSampler, blendSampler).rgb;

#ifdef Shared_Piggyback_SMAA
				color.rgb = (color.rgb <= 0.0031308) ? saturate(abs(color.rgb) * 12.92) : 1.055 * saturate(pow(abs(color.rgb), 1.0/2.4 )) - 0.055; // Linear to SRGB

color.rgb = SharedPass(texcoord, float4(color.rgbb)).rgb;
			#else
				color.rgb = (color.rgb <= 0.0031308) ? saturate(abs(color.rgb) * 12.92) : 1.055 * saturate(pow(abs(color.rgb), 1.0/2.4 )) - 0.055; // Linear to SRGB
			#endif

return color.OUTPUT_COMPONENT3;

#endif
	}

Can anyone perhaps point me in directions to look for other approaches to get a hold of the depth buffer?
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Annihlator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PirateKitty
More
7 years 7 months ago #2 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic No Man's Sky - SMAA : Can't access depth-buffer
NMS's depth buffer is pretty broken. It only works when you're on a planet or on a station. If you go to your ship, the depth buffer becomes your own ship rotating. And if you scan a creature, the depth buffer becomes the creature's silhouette and the only way to get depth again is to restart the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.