New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD

More
1 year 3 months ago #21 by aaronth07
Replied by aaronth07 on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
@Viper_Joe Thanks for sharing! Those shaders look really interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #22 by colesdav
Replied by colesdav on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been busy and just saw your post.
I created this video for AMD/Nvidia users wanting to try out CAS.fx and Smart_Sharp.fx with ReShade using Far Cry 5 as example.
I am not a professional Youtuber, not monetised.
I just use Youtube to help people / run test cases / discuss issues on AMD Community Forum.
It should have all of the information you need:

Hope it is o.k.
Bye.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Marty McFly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #23 by petr23
Replied by petr23 on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
Is there any way to lower the minimum sharpening of the CAS.fx shader? According to the UI 0 should be off but it's still sharpening the image when I turn the effect off an on. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #24 by JBeckman
Replied by JBeckman on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
0 is the default value from what I know and above that it strengthens the effect, ctrl or shift or how it was and entering a manual value or a negative value might be possible to lessen it a bit or use something like Smart Sharp or M Sharp that incorporate CAS with additional options. :)
(Earlier commits from AMD's repository for this effect didn't have a value at all thus 0 as the default but it still applies the effect it's not zeroed.)

Smart sharp and the recent M sharp can be found here:
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/tree/.../Image%20Enhancement
The following user(s) said Thank You: petr23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #25 by Synoxia
Replied by Synoxia on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD

JBeckman wrote: 0 is the default value from what I know and above that it strengthens the effect, ctrl or shift or how it was and entering a manual value or a negative value might be possible to lessen it a bit or use something like Smart Sharp or M Sharp that incorporate CAS with additional options. :)
(Earlier commits from AMD's repository for this effect didn't have a value at all thus 0 as the default but it still applies the effect it's not zeroed.)

Smart sharp and the recent M sharp can be found here:
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/tree/.../Image%20Enhancement


Which one is better in your opinion? Maybe placebo but Smart sharp seems better than M_Sharp... however m sharp is a lot less taxing... i mean S_Sharp can take 5-8% of gpu power while M_sharp 1-2%
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Synoxia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #26 by BlueSkyKnight
Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD

Synoxia wrote:

JBeckman wrote: 0 is the default value from what I know and above that it strengthens the effect, ctrl or shift or how it was and entering a manual value or a negative value might be possible to lessen it a bit or use something like Smart Sharp or M Sharp that incorporate CAS with additional options. :)
(Earlier commits from AMD's repository for this effect didn't have a value at all thus 0 as the default but it still applies the effect it's not zeroed.)

Smart sharp and the recent M sharp can be found here:
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/tree/.../Image%20Enhancement


Which one is better in your opinion? Maybe placebo but Smart sharp seems better than M_Sharp... however m sharp is a lot less taxing... I mean S_Sharp can take 5-8% of gpu power while M_sharp 1-2%


Yes, Smart Sharp is a bit more taxing because it's doing little more work on creating the Unsharp mask for image sharping.
Basic it's blurring it in a smart way.

Smart Sharp Filtering is based on bilateral image filtering. Hears is an explanation.
saplin.blogspot.com/2012/01/bilateral-im...edge-preserving.html

Performance improvements will come in time. So far I have been trying to keep the quality of the Sharpen found in smart sharp Without too much of a performance penalty.

I love the look of smart sharp. This is why I am careful with it. I love reading good and bad feedback. In the hopes of improving it.

Ok now let me talk about M_Sharp.

M_Sharp is called this because it basically sharpens shader based on a 3x3 Median filter. I am also not too happy with the look of Median Sharp. Something about it feels wrong right?........ I knew it was not just me.

I will be making a total of 3 sharpen Filters.
web.stanford.edu/class/cs448f/lectures/2.1/Sharpening.pdf

Thank you for your feedback.
Synoxia
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, Aelius Maximus, JBeckman, Viper_Joe, Marty, Faustus86

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #27 by Compact
Replied by Compact on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
Hello.

Is it just me or is the contrast part of this shader not working great? Maybe it's because I play a d3d9 game - SWTOR. Or is it just that this sharpener is supposed to be used with upscaling?

Sharpening with default value of 0 is very harsh already - and it seems to sharpen areas which I would consider high contrast already.

How to modify this shader so you can change what kind of contrast triggers sharpening(or rather disables)?
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Compact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #28 by Faustus86
Replied by Faustus86 on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
I am using smart sharp as well because it has very good looking result's.
If i remember correctly it has a checkbox to reduce oversharpening in bright areas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #29 by jas01
Replied by jas01 on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD

BlueSkyKnight wrote: M_Sharp is called this because it basically sharpens shader based on a 3x3 Median filter. I am also not too happy with the look of Median Sharp. Something about it feels wrong right?........ I knew it was not just me.


I actually enjoy using M_sharp. Good performance and pretty nice look with no halos. My only issue is that CAS boost is giving me almost no visible change to the image.
Right now I'm using a combo of deblur shader (from presentations section) and your M_sharp, so perhaps it could affect my results & opinion here. Maybe you could find a way to combine it with your shader for a little stronger/finer effect? If I'm right it could also work a little faster than running two separate effects (like in my case/for people that are using deblur shader with it).
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jas01.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #30 by Dom324
Replied by Dom324 on topic New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD
For people that want to lower the strength of CAS:

If you look in the CAS.fx file, on line 83 there is:
float peak = 8.0 - 3.0 * Sharpness;
So if you set Sharpness in the settings to 1, you get a peak value of 5.0, and if you set it to 0 you get 8.0.
I havenĀ“t tested this yet, but I believe that by tweaking up and down the value of 8.0 and 3.0 in the formula you can get lower strength.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.