MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod

• Marirari
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #1 by Marirari MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod was created by Marirari
Hi! I used a mod to remove TAA in Cyberpunk 2077. Plan was to replace the built in TAA with a better anti aliasing with ReShade. However, none of those I have tried worked. I have tried FXAA, TAA and MSAA. None of them seem to do anything with the sharp outlines. MSAA looks the most promising, since I find the lines I wish to soften when using the debug mode. Seems like the sliders do something, but it never gets less sharp. Any suggestions? Only filter that did anything with the sharp outlines is Oilify, but I can not adjust the amount I wish to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lordbean
More
2 years 2 months ago #2 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
Aggressive FXAA comes the closest to being able to duplicate the "softening" effect TAA has, in my experience. The trouble with that is, of course, FXAA's tendency to blur out details rather significantly compared to TAA. Duplicating a good TAA effect in ReShade is very difficult since a well-implemented TAA in a game engine is able to use motion vectors pulled directly from the engine, which is something that is only just now MAYBE becoming possible to do in ReShade 5.0+ (might still require plugins built for specific games/engines that don't actually exist yet).

• Daemonjax
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #3 by Daemonjax Replied by Daemonjax on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
TAA is already the best antialiasing, when implemented by the game engine.  Unless it's badly implemented, then oh well. 

Next best is SMAA if you want AA without much blurring, especially if you have depth buffer access.  FXAA blurs a lot but it will do more to hide texture crawl/shimmering better than SMAA. 

You can try NFAA.  I use a modified version of that shader in some games -- mainly for specular antialiasing.  It does what it's supposed to do -- antialiases by blurring the outlines of normals.  Has some degree of blurring things you don't want blurred, so you may want to run a sharpener (something that respects contrast, like CAS or Quint's sharpener) before or after it. I don't think the debug view for NFAA actually lines up with what it does ingame, which makes tweaking its setting a bit of a pain.  I may need to take another look at that.

I haven't played cyberpunk 2077 because the game looks like trash to me (which is weird because I'm a huge cyberpunk/shadowrun genrea fan), but is their TAA implementation really that bad that someone actually bothered to make a mod to disable it?  How is that even possible?
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Daemonjax.

• lordbean
More
2 years 1 month ago #4 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
The release was rushed AF is how it's possible. Good TAA implementations go pretty deep into the engine - that's why the attempts at it in ReShade (nothing against the authors mind you, mad respect for the effort) really don't look that good - they just don't have the same kind of access to information about the scene as a baked-in TAA can have.

• NoPippinNo
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #5 by NoPippinNo Replied by NoPippinNo on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
Yep, their TAA implementation is in fact that bad, this is the game *paused* on screenshot mode, thin lines shaking like it's an earthquake:
imgur.com/a/b4j8UAC

I hope XeSS or FSR 2.0 will slap some sense into it, the GPUOpen rep even dedicated a whole section of their talk to how to fix this on GDC
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by NoPippinNo.

• lordbean
More
2 years 1 month ago #6 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
Oof. I've seen bad TAA before but that's REALLY bad. The line shimmering starts crazy close to the camera in that shot.

• NoPippinNo
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #7 by NoPippinNo Replied by NoPippinNo on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
One interesting takeaway from that presentation is that later on they'll release a TAA-only mode of FSR without the upscaling, so there might still be some things Reshade effects might benefit from like the temporal stability bits.

Edit: In the year 2077 scientists apparently genetically modified trees with John Travolta's DNA in anticipation of the 100 year anniversary of the movie Grease and now they all dance like this:
imgur.com/eO8JkLj
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by NoPippinNo.

• lordbean
More
2 years 1 month ago #8 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
Dude. The color banding is shimmering. What even. No Man's Sky TAA works better than that, and No Man's Sky is usually the bad TAA example game I point to.

• Tojkar
More
2 years 1 month ago #9 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod

Dude. The color banding is shimmering. 

Well.. Very shallow gradients tend to get banding and even shimmer when shown on that heavily compressed video. Especially if it's frame by frame compression instead of being semi-intelligent such as youtube compression.

• NoPippinNo
More
2 years 1 month ago #10 by NoPippinNo Replied by NoPippinNo on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
My guess would be jittery depth buffer > shaky objects (clouds included) > shaky bloom bands > shaky compression artifacts

• Kleio420
More
2 years 1 month ago #11 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic MSAA not doing anything Cyberpunk2077 in VR with Luke Ross mod
well theres two problems with what your asking and here they are.

1. Cyberpunk post processing requires and relies on the use of data gained from TAA , disabling it breaks a lot of other stuff.
2. MSAA does not work with cyberpunk at all , its a deferred rendered game not forward rendered , you have no access to the geometry buffer before lighting is processed in this game.

My suggestion use the sharpen slider in the upscalers like they are meant to be used, DLSS and especially FSR cause heavy blurring on top of TAA which is again required for a lot of other shaders to function correctly. Higher quality settings on the scalers produce sharper results.

Sorry to tell you bad news but you should just get used to this in games from now on this is pretty standard way to solve artifacts from aliasing, its easier to combine shaders needing the same data from a buffer then to rerun it again for double the render cost. NFAA is meant to fix normal aliasing not specular shader aliasing hints its name N=normal f=filter a= anti a=aliasing NFAA, smaa and fxaa do work , and the reason the TAA is best at clearing jaggies is due to the temporal supersampling being done on each pixel instead of just blurring everything, this is also why shimmering is cleaned up so much.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.