Paint and Outline

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1 by JPulowski Paint and Outline was created by JPulowski
Features: Screenshots:
imgur.com/a/no97p

Download:
Available with framework

Changelog:
Warning: Spoiler!

Both shaders are available with the framework.
Enjoy. :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by JPulowski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Wicked Sick, Ioxa, Nerd, SpinelessJelly, tybalitea, YOBA, aaronth07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nerd
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #2 by Nerd Replied by Nerd on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Enabling "PaintMethod 0" and lowering the radius looks really cool in high detail games, I like this a lot. I do wish you could adjust how smooth it appears though because it's a bit rough, is that possible to do? Also I tried adding in that other custom cartoon filter you posted using your instructions but it didn't work, I might have messed it up though.

Going to see about finding a game with depth access next.

EDIT: I got it working with Remember Me but rather than artsy it looks more like my GPU is melting :P. I wish I had more games with depth buffer access.

EDIT 2: It works a lot better in Remember Me than in Crysis :lol:. In Crysis it pretty much activates a wireframe.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Nerd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPulowski

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #3 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading

Nerd wrote: Enabling "PaintMethod 0" and lowering the radius looks really cool in high detail games, I like this a lot. I do wish you could adjust how smooth it appears though because it's a bit rough, is that possible to do? Also I tried adding in that other custom cartoon filter you posted using your instructions but it didn't work, I might have messed it up though.

Going to see about finding a game with depth access next.

EDIT: I got it working with Remember Me but rather than artsy it looks more like my GPU is melting :P. I wish I had more games with depth buffer access.

EDIT 2: It works a lot better in Remember Me than in Crysis :lol:. In Crysis it pretty much activates a wireframe.

I am already aware of the "wireframe" look in some games. I also stated it in the readme that in the next versions there will be an option to tweak cel shading. :)

Also yeah lower values has a denoise or a smart(ish) blur effect. And originally filters such as kuwahara , bilateral etc. are created for denoising, the paint effect is just a side-effect. :)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by JPulowski.

• Wicked Sick
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #4 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
I have tested it with The Witcher 2. The Kuwahara one is my favorite among these. If that game had a kind of a Theater mode, some nice works of art would be born hah

Congratulations on a very well done job. I find it amazing the stuff that you guys can do.

i.imgur.com/JIlzpTD.jpg

i.imgur.com/QtWC3KT.jpg

i.imgur.com/LUwoBgq.jpg
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Wicked Sick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPulowski, jas01

• SunBroDave
More
9 years 1 month ago #5 by SunBroDave Replied by SunBroDave on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
These look really really awesome. It's a shame that that third one is based on the depth buffer though, I would've loved to have tried that with Dolphin and Wind Waker

• sajittarius
More
9 years 1 month ago #6 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
this is.. amazing.. lol

Just tested in Final Fantasy XIV and with radius 1 and Kuwahara i can still read the text (hopefully they figure out how to inject before hud soon!)

Definitely a keeper! Thanks!

• Predalienator
More
9 years 1 month ago #7 by Predalienator Replied by Predalienator on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Will these shaders be ported to MasterEffect?

• YOBA
More
9 years 1 month ago #8 by YOBA Replied by YOBA on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Are you going to update it, JPulowski ?
For preview 7, please: forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5025393&postcount=542

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 8 years 5 months ago #9 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading

Predalienator wrote: Will these shaders be ported to MasterEffect?

Might be. There are plans about a new ReShade framework . So I am planning on updating the shader once the framework becomes available. But if it takes too much time, I might release separate MasterEffect-friendly version.

YOBA wrote: Are you going to update it, JPulowski ?
For preview 7, please: forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5025393&postcount=542

There is no need for an update, nothing has changed besides than line numbers because of new code modifications in SweetFX. I have already left some clues about where to copy-paste the code. And this is why it is update-proof, instead of pre-modifed configuration files, the user modifies the code him/herself. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but there is not much we can do until the new framework becomes available. I might release pre-modified files, but in this case it would require a hotfix for every single modification in the code.
By the way, I am going to release an update very soon. The cel shader now uses a better optimized depth linearization algorithm by Crosire. It is also now possible to modify the accuracy of the cel shader, so no more "wireframe" effect. :) Thanks to LuciferHawk and Marty McFly for allowing me to figure it out.

Edit: When I was updating Cel shader, I noticed that indeed there is a change in file structure in SweetFX Preview 7. Going to update both shaders with updated instructions as soon as possible.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire. Reason: Fixed link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Predalienator, YOBA

• Iddqd
More
9 years 1 month ago #10 by Iddqd Replied by Iddqd on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Hello JPulowski, please tell me what exactly it means in sweetfx screen_size

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #11 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Bots shaders have been updated and compatible with SweetFX 2.0 Preview 7. Also now it is possible to tweak the intensity of cel shader. You can find the changelog and download links on the main post . And you can find SweetFX 2.0 Preview 7 here . Again, if you find any bugs or have any problems please ask/say so. Enjoy. :)

Iddqd wrote: Hello JPulowski, please tell me what exactly it means in sweetfx screen_size

It is a pre-defined global for screen dimensions.

From Globals.h:
#define screen_size float2(BUFFER_WIDTH,BUFFER_HEIGHT)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iddqd

• Iddqd
More
9 years 1 month ago #12 by Iddqd Replied by Iddqd on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Hello JPulowski can I put ported version of paint effect for MasterEffects?

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #13 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading

Iddqd wrote: Hello JPulowski can I put ported version of paint effect for MasterEffects?

Sure, no problem. But you also better ask Marty McFly.

• wo2x
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #14 by wo2x Replied by wo2x on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Hi, ive got the paint to work, but i couldnt get cel to work in Battlefield Hardline, not sure what im doing wrong.

Ive done it over 10 times now, i tried 1.0 and 1.1 cel doesnt work for me at all.

• JPulowski
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #15 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading

wo2x wrote: Hi, ive got the paint to work, but i couldnt get cel to work in Battlefield Hardline, not sure what im doing wrong.

Ive done it over 10 times now, i tried 1.0 and 1.1 cel doesnt work for me at all.

As far as I can see from the compatibility list , Battlefield Hardline does not give a depth buffer output. Therefore it is quite natural that cel shader doesn't work. At current state it is dependent on depth buffer, without depth information there is no cel shading.

• TrophiHunter
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16 by TrophiHunter Replied by TrophiHunter on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
Hi JPulowski, is it possible to change the color of cel shading to like white or something? if so can you explain how? Love the Effects. :)
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by TrophiHunter.

• NattyDread
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #17 by NattyDread Replied by NattyDread on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
I would also like to see the Cel expanded with opacity and color value if it's possible. Fade with distance and outline width would be most welcome also.
I looks really good. Thanks for the port and tweaks!

Here's something I cobbled up with Remember Me last night using Monochrome, Levels, SSAO and Cel:

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by NattyDread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPulowski, Wicked Sick, jas01, kingeric1992

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 9 months ago #18 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
That Remember Me (I thought it was Portal 2) screenshot reminds me, a lot, of the Megastructure from Blame by Tsutomu Nihei. Ahh, good times...

The following user(s) said Thank You: NattyDread, jas01, kingeric1992

• NattyDread
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #19 by NattyDread Replied by NattyDread on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
;) Why of course . I even named it Blame! on my flickr. Didn't feel the need to mention it here.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by NattyDread.

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #20 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Paint effect and depth-buffer based cel shading
haha Nice xD And what you did with it was a superb job. Congratulations.

EDIT: Also, amazing flickr, Natty.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Wicked Sick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NattyDread

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.