Rain Effects

• Wefi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by Wefi Rain Effects was created by Wefi
I have two Ideas for a semi awesome idea for a shader. I do not know much about Shaders, so please excuse the incorrect terms.

Idea 1: Rain drops on Camera.
This could be as simple as this. Random placement of Drops on the Camera lens. I wouldn't mind learning how to write this myself. but do not know where to start. I feel this is a nice feature to have since some games tend to over look this, example would be GTA 5.
Republic Commando Example

Idea 2: Rain in general.
Im looking for something like a simple overlay like the Heathaze in the MASTER FX where it simulates the look of rain falling down, not to over the top, but something light, and easy.

On a more complex scale of things... Dynamic Rain. I found this blog on Dynamic Rain Effects to be quite interesting. They using Depth layers to have the rain appear more diverse then running a singular rain sheet, it uses 4 sheets on a layer depth system. I am not sure if this is possible using the DepthBuffer would work. If this is possible, it would look good on most of the older games that have DepthBuffer access, and poor rain effects.

Below is the blog, I am not asking for the Puddles, or the splashes... Since I dont think Reshade can detect planes with out raytrace
Dynamic Rain Blog.
Remember Me Demo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Rain Effects
Its basically good ideas but I think the reason no one ever thought of doing something in this particular direction is rain in the main menu, inside building or during sunny weather ;) There are other shader examples that have little use for generic injectors but this is of course something that could be solely used for screenshots. Question is how much you want to invest for something with limited usefulness (though it might be interesting to do it)
Is there anything in particular you would like to know about development to get started yourself? There is also a very basic dev tutorial in the framework thread for starters which however is more about integration of your code into the existing solutions. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wefi

• kingeric1992
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #3 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic Rain Effects
The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.

About idea 1, enb has droplet lens effect, you can probably convert it here with tutorial in this forum.
enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3293
Not sure what do you mean in idea 2, but 3D rain can't be done without camera angle, or at least angle of camera z axis, otherwise you will see rain going side ways when looking at sky or floors.

Ray tracing is doable with depth buffer in a sense, of course it will be limit to local area considering it is in post process, but effects like screen space reflection or splash can be done.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by kingeric1992.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Rain Effects

kingeric1992 wrote: The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.

Or simply bind it to a key so one can toggle it on and off manually =P

• Wefi
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #5 by Wefi Replied by Wefi on topic Rain Effects

LuciferHawk wrote: Its basically good ideas but I think the reason no one ever thought of doing something in this particular direction is rain in the main menu, inside building or during sunny weather ;) There are other shader examples that have little use for generic injectors but this is of course something that could be solely used for screenshots. Question is how much you want to invest for something with limited usefulness (though it might be interesting to do it)
Is there anything in particular you would like to know about development to get started yourself? There is also a very basic dev tutorial in the framework thread for starters which however is more about integration of your code into the existing solutions. :)

I understand verylittle of how the shaders are written, i can modify some of the code, but nothing like converting ENB into a Reshade Format.

crosire wrote:

kingeric1992 wrote: The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.

Or simply bind it to a key so one can toggle it on and off manually =P

thats the plan! :)

thanks for the replies guys!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Wefi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Official Alex

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.