[SOLVED] Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #1 by PirateKitty Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky was created by PirateKitty
Tested on reshade 1.1 and 2.0.

Turning on GemFX's ambient light cause it to happen right away, it is as if the shadow is applied to the entire scene. But this also happens while having both McFX AO on and CustomFX Gauss blur on at the same time. Using either one or another doesn't make this happen, only both on. It borks the shadows to the point that even turning things off with scroll lock doesn't fix it. You have to go and turn off the shaders for it to go back to normal.

Example: Ambient light off, shadows are normal

Ambient light turned on, shadows bork

So, any ideas on how to fix this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #2 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Small update:

Might have something to do with the number of passes or textures being used. With further testing, seems like it first breaks the nebula/sky texture and then the shadow texture.

Depends on the number of shaders active and with some shaders it breaks everything right away, like the ambient light one.

• crosire
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Looks more like gamma correction going the wrong way. Some shaders make calculation in linear color space, some in gamma space. A few OpenGL drivers do not support ReShade's automatic color space conversion and this happens. Only thing you can do is make sure your graphics card drivers are up-to-date or enable an even amount of shaders doing work in linear space (because this will cancel out the effect). I don't have a list of shaders doing so at hand right now though, so it's mostly trial and error.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by crosire.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Well, it doesn't seem to be the case of even shader. Like I said, first the clouds/nebula disappear and then the shadows break. Turning more shaders on doesn't fix shadows or nebula. So it's not just gamma going wonky, if you photoshop the second image to brighten it up, it will show no shadows, since the shadow map seems to have turned into all black and is affecting the entire scene.

Edit: I can post an example of the nebula disappearing when shaders are turned on, if that helps.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by PirateKitty.

• brussell
More
7 years 8 months ago #5 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Maybe it's this issue?:
reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/938-the...on-dark-athena#12157
You can try out the samlple ReShade.fx posted there and see if it affects you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PirateKitty

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #6 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Yup, that issue alright. Here's my results:
texture testtexture {Width=BUFFER_WIDTH; Height=BUFFER_HEIGHT;};
sampler testsampler1 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler2 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler3 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler4 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler5 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler6 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler7 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler8 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler9 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler10 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler11 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler12 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler13 {Texture=testtexture;};
//sampler testsampler14 {Texture=testtexture;};  // Breaks Nebulas
//sampler testsampler15 {Texture=testtexture;};  // Breaks Ambient Light
//sampler testsampler16 {Texture=testtexture;};  // Breaks Shadows

• brussell
More
7 years 7 months ago #7 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Crosire, can you do something about this issue? There are now at least three OpenGL Games, that suffer from this problem (Chronicles Of Riddick, Soma, NMS).

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #8 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
I worked around the issue by writing my own shaders:

reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/2230-piratekitty-s-shaders

Still working on adding some more features to it.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #9 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

brussell wrote: Crosire, can you do something about this issue? There are now at least three OpenGL Games, that suffer from this problem (Chronicles Of Riddick, Soma, NMS).

I might be completely wrong about this but I assume ReShade 3.x will solve this as it only loads the shaders the user enables (EDIT: Instead of the entire pipeline config as with 2.x) so that should free more passes from games on API's with this limitation which I assume is D3D9 and OpenGL 3.x so that should hopefully resolve this although depending on the amount of effects a user enables with ReShade 3 it might eventually exceed the limit and cause said issue to occur again though I do not know if there's a immediate fix for it or if one just needs to keep these samplers below a certain threshold.

Unfortunately 3.0 is currently only in beta and only a few shaders have compatible 3.0 versions as of yet but as development picks up this will probably improve though I don't think there's a planned ETA on when a full release is planned. :)

EDIT: Yeah I'm probably misunderstanding though fewer loaded shader effects could still help?
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by JBeckman.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

JBeckman wrote: EDIT: Yeah I'm probably misunderstanding though fewer loaded shader effects could still help?

In certain cases. But the shaderpacks I saw and effects inside those shaderpacks are so badly bloated up that it doesn't matter.

Imagine an old jeep that is only held together by duct tape. They're a collection of shaders written 5-10+ years ago, mixed with new stuff, mixed with stuff that do the same thing, all jumbled up together. Things have their own passes when they don't really require it. Duplicated samplers that in the end do the same thing. Some load 8+ textures and don't even use them.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by PirateKitty.

• crosire
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Looked at it again. Turns out I only recover the first 8 textures to the ones the game set after ReShade finished rendering (in OpenGL). This means if more than 8 textures are active simultaneously, those bleed into the game's rendering pipeline. Something I can easily fix by increasing the amount of textures that are stored and recovered.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell, PirateKitty

• brussell
More
7 years 7 months ago #12 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

crosire wrote: Looked at it again. Turns out I only recover the first 8 textures to the ones the game set after ReShade finished rendering (in OpenGL). This means if more than 8 textures are active simultaneously, those bleed into the game's rendering pipeline. Something I can easily fix by increasing the amount of textures that are stored and recovered.

Cool. Will you update ReShade 2.0 as well?

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #13 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
Nice, glad to see this getting fixed. :D

• crosire
More
7 years 7 months ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

brussell wrote: Cool. Will you update ReShade 2.0 as well?

Unlikely. Shaders from 2.0 can be used with 3.0 after all.

• brussell
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #15 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky

crosire wrote:

brussell wrote: Cool. Will you update ReShade 2.0 as well?

Unlikely. Shaders from 2.0 can be used with 3.0 after all.

I'm just asking because ReShade 2 is still the official release and 3.0 is still in beta. Besides there may be a lot NMS Players out there currently that suffer from this issue, don't know.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by brussell.

• crosire
More
7 years 7 months ago #16 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Shadows breaking in No Man's Sky
This should now be solved as of ReShade 3.0 Beta #5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.