[SOLVED] The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #1 by DeMondo The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena was created by DeMondo
Hello, I have encountered a problem with The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena while I tried both the latest ReShade {v0.19.2} with Framework Pack and the Reshade + Master FX ReBorn v1.1.287 Pack ("standalone" without Framework), the screen becomes totally black, even if I disabled all effects, while the intro vids are being showed, the menu following after & the rest are giving a fully black screen. In the ReShade Compatibility List I saw the status for this game is good... (?)
I tried the "famous" Alt-Tabbing fix without any success.

A small part of the OPENGL32.log:
24/07/2015 01:20:57:588 [06932] | INFO | Loading effect from "C:\Games\Assault on Dark Athena\System\Win32_x86\ReShade.fx" ...
24/07/2015 01:20:57:697 [06932] | INFO | > Successfully compiled effect.
24/07/2015 01:20:58:757 [06932] | ERROR | Failed to create depth texture with error code 1280
24/07/2015 01:20:59:274 [06932] | ERROR | Failed to create depth texture with error code 1280
24/07/2015 01:20:59:790 [06932] | ERROR | Failed to create depth texture with error code 1280

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Looks like the game uses a depthbuffer format that ReShade does not handle correctly. But without more debugging info it's hard to see which one that is. Could we connect via Steam, so I can send you a test build?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeMondo

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #3 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Thank you for your reply.

np, I will send you an invitation via Steam. {Semper}

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #4 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
..after a long time & trying different versions of ReShade the problem still persists, even when all ReShade Framework effects are disabled.

After the visible intro vids the screen goes black.
ReShade Framework: v1.1
Anti-aliasing ingame & through nVidia driver: disabled

OPENGL32.log:
Warning: Spoiler!

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #5 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
bump

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
ReShade/your graphics drivers do not currently support depth buffers of format GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_EXT (0x84F9 = 34041).
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by crosire.

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #7 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Thank you very for your answer although it doesnt give me more info than I already saw from the log file (OPENGL32.log).

I use latest nVidia drivers, and the ReShade games list [ reshade.me/compatibility ] says ReShade should work properly:
"Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena 0.14.0 opengl32.dll Good No depth buffer access."

I have zero knowledge about (writing) shaders, Im not a shader developer, how can the black screen problem be fixed?

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago #8 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Doesn't look like it can be fixed without changes to ReShade. Seems like the compatibility list is outdated in this case.

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #9 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
-> Crosire is it doable & reachable for you to make those kind of changes to ReShade in order to fix the black screen problem or would that be just a waste of time in that challenge?

Strange thing is for some people it did work (all effects), even DOF & AO:
* Reshade 0.19.2: reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/87-c...-list?start=402#7049

* ReShade 0.14.0: reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/87-c...-list?start=174#1376

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago #10 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
What graphics card (vendor and model) do you have?

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #11 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Its a Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Strix.

• brussell
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #12 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Since I tested the game back in the days and gave it a "good", I've revisited it again to verify your problem. To my surprise it suffers from a similar issue that I had with Soma (also opengl). In Soma I got texture glitches and after digging around for quite some time, I've found the reason. The problem (missing textures in Soma, black screen in Riddick) occurs, when the number of defined samplers exceed a specific value. In Riddick you can only define 8 samplers, one more and you get a black screen. One can verify this with a simple ReShade.fx:
texture testtexture {Width=BUFFER_WIDTH; Height=BUFFER_HEIGHT;};
sampler testsampler1 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler2 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler3 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler4 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler5 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler6 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler7 {Texture=testtexture;};
sampler testsampler8 {Texture=testtexture;};
//sampler testsampler9 {Texture=testtexture;};         //Uncommenting this will cause black screen

Since the generic ReShade.fx of the Framework loads all the Util.fx with their numerous sampler definitions, you always get this problem.
I use MasterEffect and avoid this problem by only defining the samplers that I need and enclose them in if statements (e.g. #if (USE_BLOOM == 1) texBloom1 {...}; SamplerBloom1 {...}; #endif)

btw: beside this issue the game runs "perfectly": depth effects work
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by brussell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeMondo

• brussell
More
8 years 2 months ago #13 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
So crosire, is this a problem you can fix within Reshade or is it beyond your capabilities?

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #14 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
bump

[6 months later...still nothing..]

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #15 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
bump

crosire are you able to answer..
or is it beyond your capabilities to solve the OpenGL black screen problem?.

Timeline of this problem:
* 6 months ago I started this topic for the black screen problem:
--> reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/938-the...-on-dark-athena#7564

* 6 months ago you asked me if I could add you on Steam, so I invited you, than you went on vacation and you sent me a test build of ReShade to test it with The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena:
--> reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/938-the...-on-dark-athena#7577

* After you came back from vacation I sent you a message via Steamchat about this problem than a few more --> but zero responses from your side.

* 3 weeks ago I started up this topic again:
--> reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/938-the...on-dark-athena#11969

* 2 weeks ago you asked about what graphics card I use, I answer you --> but again zero responses from your side afterwards:
--> reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/938-the...athena?start=6#12147

As everyone can see, its kind of beyond annoying, if you are not able to solve this problem than say it, but no responses from your side on a forum you created yourself is kind of awkward.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #16 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
I don't know. Missing support for depth texture format 34041 has been added to 2.0, which fixes the error in the log. Whether it's related to your issue or not, I can't say.
I have a lot on my plate currently, so I'm sorry if I don't find the time to answer more complex questions like this one right now.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by crosire.

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #17 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
No problem crosire, I understand, thank you for your answer this time, I will leave this black screen problem alone and rest this case.

• YodasRaytracedRetroStudios
More
2 years 3 months ago #18 by YodasRaytracedRetroStudios Replied by YodasRaytracedRetroStudios on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Enabling MSAA makes the depth buffer work. Too bad it blocks a good many effects. Tried OpenGL to DX9 wrapper but it crashes.

github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/blob/...haders/Game_Help.txt

"{Chronicle of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena} - Used ReShade 4.9.1
So this game causes strange issues in many shaders. Also has low perf even with my 1080ti. Have no Idea whats going on.

To get the depth buffer you have to enable MSAA 2X or more. Then select the proper Depth in the API tab.
The game is very unoptimized with anti-aliasing on like really bad....

Big Issue is that it seems to detoggle it self sometimes and in cutscenes Depth don't aline like it should. Maybe I will look in to some sort of fix later for the cutscenes.
But, for now try this. www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Chronicles...idescreen_resolution

Also, Try the other fixes listed on that web page.

Other then that gameplay seems fine. This profile may need some tuning later. Good luck.

Oh wait One more thing it seems like Threaded optimization needs to be turned off for this game in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I didn't test AMD GPUs.

Man this game needs a ReMaster and redone in a different API......."

• LeonTK
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #19 by LeonTK Replied by LeonTK on topic The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
I don't know if it is related to OP's issue, but I've found solution of depth buffer access issue.
I have 5.2.1 reshade version installed and all effects work fine.
In my case, I can't open Reshade menu while playing, but it works in starting game menu.
Go to Reshade settings and bind all reshade actions to some keys in order to work without calling the menu (reloading, on/off effects etc.)

Changing Nvidia's driver settings (I don't know how to do that on AMD):
1. Download nvidia inspector
2. In search field, type name of the game
3. Scroll down until OGL_PROMOTE... and set it to Disable

Setting up Reshade:
1. Launch the game. Stay in starting menu.
2. Turn off SSAO and posteffects. MSAA should be turned off. (You can left one option turned on, but I don't rember which one)
3. Go to Reshade menu
4. Check depthbuffer with apropriate reshade effect (In my case, buffer was upsidedown). Change buffers in the add-ons tab if needed. Buffer list should contain only 2 buffers, if there is more, check/uncheck some settings here.
5. Setup your reshade effects, and see how it looks here - in game menu.
6. When you're done, change buffer to 'CLEAR 1' (Or first one if you have different name) in settings tab.
7. Play

If game crashes when loading a new location or you see black screen with MXAO turned on or you see only lights, try to turn off SSAO, MSAA, Posteffects in game settings, also turn on Perfomance mode. Do it while in starting game menu.

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by LeonTK.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.