Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 11 months ago #21 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
I just had two users on my nexus site claim the same thing, they seem to think its related to windows 8.1.
I have windows 7 so I have no problems, not sure what sort of advice to give them.
Maybe rename the DLL to D3d11.dll?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carinjaye
More
8 years 11 months ago #22 by carinjaye Replied by carinjaye on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup

BrandonHortman wrote: I just had two users on my nexus site claim the same thing, they seem to think its related to windows 8.1.
I have windows 7 so I have no problems, not sure what sort of advice to give them.
Maybe rename the DLL to D3d11.dll?

I tried renaming it but then ReShade doesn't even run. I'd really like to play DA:I with it but it seems to keep crashing either on startup or when transitioning between areas :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 11 months ago #23 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
Are you speaking of specifically this preset www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/438/ ?

Or your own?

Maybe you could post a tracelog, rename the Dxgi.log to dxgi.tracelog and run it till it crashes, then copy the text and pastebin it and leave it here.
It should have crucial info in it.

Are you forcing AA or anything else in your drivers?

Any video recording software or OSD running?
The following user(s) said Thank You: carinjaye

• carinjaye
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #24 by carinjaye Replied by carinjaye on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
I've tried it with both the ReShade preset you posted and the other Reshade preset on the Nexus (not the storm one but the other one). I'll try it again with the preset and post the tracelog when it crashes.

I have an Nvidia graphics card and I changed all the settings so they're application controlled, so my drivers shouldn't be forcing AA. I'm also not using anything like FRAPS or any overlays to my knowledge.

EDIT: The tracelog was too big for pastebin so I uploaded it to dropbox:

www.dropbox.com/s/4of9043duszx9ix/dxgi.tracelog?dl=0
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by carinjaye.

• MelissaGT
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #25 by MelissaGT Replied by MelissaGT on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
Hello!

I'm sorry to necro this older post, but I'm having this same exact problem. I've tried the latest version of ReShade + SweetFX as well as older versions found with presets the Nexus. They all have the same result - I can get the "Successful" message telling me that everything has loaded properly, however after that the game (Dragon Age:Inquisition) will almost always crash just before the Bioware splash screen. I can get the game to work about 1 out of 20 times. Here is some info on my setup:

I do not have Origin In-Game enabled
I do not use any other overlays (such as FRAPS, etc)
The game runs perfectly without ReSahde or SweetFX
I've tried Windowed, Windowed Borderless, and Fullscreen all to the same effect
Deleting the log file makes no difference
I am using Windows 8.1
I am using a GTX 980 Ti with the latest NVIDIA drivers
ReShade works perfectly for other games such as The Witcher 3

Previously, everything worked perfectly with my old GTX 780 Ti, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with how the card renders the game. I've heard of other people upgrading to the GTX 980 and having similar issues with Windows 8.1. I also can no longer use SweetFX 1.5 (which I was previously using just fine with my old GPU). The game will load, but the shader will not show.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by MelissaGT.

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 10 months ago #26 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
A lot of users complain about this on my Nexus page, I haven't been able to find a correlation.
Occasionally I get several crashes in a row on startup, but 95% of the time it is fine.
I know one thing's for sure though, make sure ReShade has finished compiling, then open DAI tools and let it compile.
When they compile at the same time it crashes.

I know this isn't much help.

Are you forcing anything in the nvidia control panel?
Have you tried renaming the DXGI.dll to D3d11.dll?
Reinstall DX and Visual Redistributable?
Rename DXGI.LOG to DXGI.TRACELOG, run the game, then pastebin the contents of the Tracelog here after a good crash, maybe someone real smart will see it and help :cheer:

• MelissaGT
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #27 by MelissaGT Replied by MelissaGT on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup

BrandonHortman wrote: A lot of users complain about this on my Nexus page, I haven't been able to find a correlation.
Occasionally I get several crashes in a row on startup, but 95% of the time it is fine.
I know one thing's for sure though, make sure ReShade has finished compiling, then open DAI tools and let it compile.
When they compile at the same time it crashes.

I know this isn't much help.

Are you forcing anything in the nvidia control panel?
Have you tried renaming the DXGI.dll to D3d11.dll?
Reinstall DX and Visual Redistributable?
Rename DXGI.LOG to DXGI.TRACELOG, run the game, then pastebin the contents of the Tracelog here after a good crash, maybe someone real smart will see it and help :cheer:

Currently I am using NVIDIA CP for Anisotropic filtering and Enhanced AA. I also am trying out MFAA (since I didn't have this option with my old card - I wanted to see what it did!)

I'm also not sure if hair/texture mods would have any effect - I can try loading the game vanilla and see if that makes a difference.

I will try out the other suggestions after work and report back.

Thank you!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by MelissaGT.

• MelissaGT
More
8 years 10 months ago #28 by MelissaGT Replied by MelissaGT on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
Well, I reinstalled the Visual Redistributable and the game only crashed once out of four tries. I'd say that's an improvement!

• Gearhog
More
6 years 3 months ago #29 by Gearhog Replied by Gearhog on topic Dragon Age Inquisition crashing on startup
I'm gonna necro this post, because this has always been an issue for me and I finally figured it out.
Posted about it on my tumblr here: gearhog.tumblr.com/post/169873867336/reshade-for-dai-fix

Basically, just change anything with dxgi to d3d11. Should work.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.