Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5

• JimGunn
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1 by JimGunn Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5 was created by JimGunn
I tried everything I could find on the internet, renaming dll's, numerous different versions of sweetfx, you name it and my game continued to crash at startup or just show a black screen with audio. I use Windows 7 Pro x64. If this sounds familiar, try the fix below:

Download and install the "Platform Update for Windows 7" from here...

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

That was it. I am now running v.0.18.0 w/SweetFX 2.0 and K-Putte's preset. I hope this saves some folks the week of troubleshooting and research that it cost me. I have only played GTA V since my last Windows install so I do not know if it will resolve any other SweetFX issues with other games.

For the laggy startup issue, open the "SweetFX" folder in your install folder, open the "Global_Settings.txt" file and change "#define ReShade_Start_Enabled" from "1" to "0". That will allow the game to start normally, then, once your game is loaded, press "Scroll Lock" to enable SweetFX. I also found that I have to press "Scroll Lock" to disabe SweetFX before reloading a previous save or it does the same thing as startup.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by JimGunn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by crosire.

• JimGunn
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #3 by JimGunn Replied by JimGunn on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
Ah, sorry about that. I had seen that post before, but apparenlty didn't read all the way through it. I never saw the Platform Update reply. At least now it has it's own post. Maybe that will still help some of the users like me who didn't read all 11 pages of the original post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• vfxninjaeditor
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by vfxninjaeditor Replied by vfxninjaeditor on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
This apparently doesn't work for everybody. It says I already have the platform update when I try and install, but I still having the super laggy start up with GTAV. Not a huge deal for me, I usually leave my computer while it loads for that minute or two anyway.

• JimGunn
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #5 by JimGunn Replied by JimGunn on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
For the startup issue, open the "SweetFX" folder in your install folder, open the "Global_Settings.txt" file and change "#define ReShade_Start_Enabled" from "1" to "0". That will allow the game to start normally, then, once your game is loaded, press "Scroll Lock" to enable SweetFX. I also found that I have to press "Scroll Lock" to disabe SweetFX before reloading a previous save or it does the same thing as startup.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5

vfxninjaeditor wrote: but I still having the super laggy start up with GTAV.

This isn't supposed to fix that startup issue. Everybody has it. I narrowed down the issue, but there is not much I can do about it.
But as JimGunn said, there is a workaround.

• JimGunn
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #7 by JimGunn Replied by JimGunn on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
Crosire,

Would it be possible to set up a seperate post for known fixes like this one. Instead of having to find them burried in umpteen pages of posts, once the fix is discovered, can it be pulled and added to a list of known fixes for users to try. It would benefit both the users and creator if he doesn't have to fend of so many questions.

I find that I have been spoiled by google and don't usually get past about 2 or 3 pages before moving on to the next topic. This would have saved me a week or more of troubleshooting and then finally just playing without the mod installed had it been on the first page of the post. I ended up finding this fix on a completely different site altogether. I didn't even realize that it had already been discovered on this site.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #8 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
Yeah, probably best. The GTA fix has a thread already luckily, thanks to you =).

• Jonathan1999
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #9 by Jonathan1999 Replied by Jonathan1999 on topic Fix for game crash when using Reshade with GTA 5
That's great, finally I can enjoy the game. I'm addicted to lumasharpen, wtf every game without it looks blurry as hell to me.

Play gta vice city games , select your car and get speeding in these GTA Vice City online games. Remember to win the race, the trophy and the money to be the next-big-thing in town in this Grand theft auto vice city games.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Jonathan1999.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.