Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS)

• rigelstar
  • Topic Author
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1 by rigelstar Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS) was created by rigelstar
Robust Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (RCAS)
This is AMD's improved version of CAS, so why not add one?
github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FS...r/ffx-fsr/ffx_fsr1.h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RdenBlaauwen
More
3 months 1 week ago #2 by RdenBlaauwen Replied by RdenBlaauwen on topic Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS)
I too was looking for an implementation of RCAS. But I can't couldn't find any so...I made one myself.

Perhaps the reason why no one else had done it so far is because RCAS is intended to be used as part of FSR. Instead AMD recommends people use CAS as a standalone sharpening shader. But I was curious and after seeing how simple the RCAS code was I just decided to make my own implementation real quick.

I'm not disappointed. In fact I like the result a bit more than CAS, and it has better performance too.

Anyways, here is the repo github.com/RdenBlaauwen/RCAS-for-ReShade .
The following user(s) said Thank You: rigelstar

• odikzz2
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by odikzz2 Replied by odikzz2 on topic Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS)
What the differance?

• rigelstar
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 1 week ago #4 by rigelstar Replied by rigelstar on topic Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS)
cool my friend

• RdenBlaauwen
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #5 by RdenBlaauwen Replied by RdenBlaauwen on topic Ability to add new sharpening (RCAS)
"I'm not disappointed. In fact I like the result a bit more than CAS, and it has better performance too."

After testing a bit more, I want to walk back on this for a bit. My RCAS implementation doesn't look better than CAS. It only looks slightly different. Results depend on the game, but generally speaking I slightly prefer CAS. It's better at sharpening foliage in my experience, and RCAS can sometimes give rocky textures a grainy look. The performance difference isn't that big, it won't much matter unless your GPU is pretty bad.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.