Outputting effects before menu elements?

• Asmodean
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1 by Asmodean Outputting effects before menu elements? was created by Asmodean
Hey,

Excellent work on this. The amount of sheer control you have, and the customization you've provided is astounding, amazing possibilities and potential. thanks for sharing it.

I'd be interested in writing some effects for this. I was curious if it's possible, under the current functionality - to output effects before complete frames (before UI element, etc.). To have post-processing output at a particular time during the frame, so effects display for only the actual game content rendered before the UI/Menus.

I find, personally. It makes a pretty big difference perceptually, and feels a lot more natural when you can have post-processing, without it affecting menus, etc.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Outputting effects before menu elements?
Thanks a lot! =)

While it's definitly on the todo list, it's not yet currently implemented. Applying the effects somewhere during the frame is a switch of a line in the source, but ReShade is yet missing a way automatically find the UI and adjust accordingly.
My current idea is to use the information the depthbuffer detection algorithm collected, to find the point in a frame where rendering of the 3D scene is finished and menu rendering starts: games then usually switch a lot of API states.
Though I could add a simple workaround until that's implemented, allowing to simply set a pragma to control after lets say how many shader rebindings post processing should take place (similar to how it's done in GeDoSaTo), if that's requested. =)
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Asmodean

• Asmodean
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #3 by Asmodean Replied by Asmodean on topic Outputting effects before menu elements?
Thanks for responding ^^

I like your ideas. The automated method sounds nice, but wouldn't it produce problems for games that ReShade has problems with depthbuffer access?. The manual method sounds more dependable, to me. At a guess, at least : )

I'd be super happy with either, whenever they get implemented. Thanks again for sharing your work with us. It's much appreciated, cheers.

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Outputting effects before menu elements?
All the data is collected whether the algorithm finds the right buffer or not, so that should be independant (it's all theory right now, so I cannot really say).
But even if not, the depth detection is subject for improvement, I'm not yet happy with the amount of games it works on, still too many where it doesn't.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.