Silly copyright claims

• OtisInf
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1 by OtisInf Silly copyright claims was created by OtisInf
I see this: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/commi...94c6a49250a9dbf5c3R1

It's the header of a shader from PPFX, by Euda (Pascal Mattheus) (not sure if he wrote it from scratch, it's unclear). What's silly (IMHO) is the copyright nonsense at the top:
* Copyright (C) 2014 - 2016 WLHM15 (thewlhm15@gmail.com)
 *------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
 * Permission needs to be specifically granted by the author of the FireFX to any
 * person obtaining a copy of this FireFX and associated documentation files 
 * (the "FireFX"), to deal in the FireFX without restriction, including without 
 * limitation the rights to copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or 
 * sublicense the FireFX.
 *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
 * The above copyright notice and the permission notices (this and above) shall 
 * be included in all copies or substantial portions of the FireFX.
 *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has to be said that porting some code doesn't grant you the copyright to it. So I'm sorry to say but 'WLHM15', you don't have any (c) on it at all, left alone the right to state someone needs to contact you to sublicense it. If anything, the (c) lies with Pascal Mattheus or if he didn't write it, the programmer he ripped the source from (as it's an ENB originating shader it seems, 'copy and taking' is a possibility).

The last thing we all need I think is someone out there getting mad because his/her work is distributed with reshade without permission and s/he puts a stop on it. :) Let's be grown ups about this and take (c) seriously. Thanks.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OtisInf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell, Insomnia, DeMondo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeMondo
More
7 years 11 months ago #2 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic Silly copyright claims

OtisInf wrote: I see this: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/commi...94c6a49250a9dbf5c3R1

It's the header of a shader from PPFX, by Euda (Pascal Mattheus) (not sure if he wrote it from scratch, it's unclear). What's silly (IMHO) is the copyright nonsense at the top:

* Copyright (C) 2014 - 2016 WLHM15 (thewlhm15@gmail.com)
 *------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
 * Permission needs to be specifically granted by the author of the FireFX to any
 * person obtaining a copy of this FireFX and associated documentation files 
 * (the "FireFX"), to deal in the FireFX without restriction, including without 
 * limitation the rights to copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or 
 * sublicense the FireFX.
 *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
 * The above copyright notice and the permission notices (this and above) shall 
 * be included in all copies or substantial portions of the FireFX.
 *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has to be said that porting some code doesn't grant you the copyright to it. So I'm sorry to say but 'WLHM15', you don't have any (c) on it at all, left alone the right to state someone needs to contact you to sublicense it. If anything, the (c) lies with Pascal Mattheus or if he didn't write it, the programmer he ripped the source from (as it's an ENB originating shader it seems, 'copy and taking' is a possibility).

The last thing we all need I think is someone out there getting mad because his/her work is distributed with reshade without permission and s/he puts a stop on it. :) Let's be grown ups about this and take (c) seriously. Thanks.

--> True words spoken, "sadly" you see that kind of behaviour in many places of this spinning world,.. in photography, programs, books, shaders, etc.. stealing from each other, cutting out the sourcename, making a few changes & putting their own "stamp" on it, thats why we need countermeasures (thus not looking away).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.