Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]

• voidofopinion
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #1 by voidofopinion Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE] was created by voidofopinion
I'm working with an old version of ReShade (2.0.3) because its what I know and its what I am comfortable with. I know 3.0.5 is an amazing advancement but I am in the midst of finals and I don't have the time or the spare brain power to learn a new tool. It's on my todo list but for the moment I have to go with what I know.

If I am working with 2.0.3 is it ok to build my preset, replace the SweetFX/SweetFX_settigs.txt in the ReShade installer package and upload the complete package to the Nexus so that people can just click the ReShade.exe and it will auto load my profile into their game along with all the required files from ReShade + SweetFX?

There would of course be proper credit, documentation, links to the ReShade website etc.I don't want to steal credit from ReShade I just want to limit the potential problems I have to troubleshoot for thousands of users who are generally not that technologically savvy.

I have far too much respect for the ReShade and SweetFX developers respectively to just start redistributing files wantonly. Is there any way to secure some form of gentleman agreement so that I can upload my profile series to the nexus as part of the 2.0.3 package installer so I can avoid the thousand and one questions that come with less savvy users installing the wrong files to the wrong locations?

Or am I being a pill and altering the SweetFX/SweetFX_settings.txt and giving someone the entire install package the is way 2.0.3 is supposed to work?

Thank you so much for any response, and thank you even more for ReShade. It is a truly incredible tool that has enhanced my personal gaming experience unimaginably. With a proper profile I feel the games that I play are a whole generation ahead!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by voidofopinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 5 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]
Yes, you may do that if you make it clear the version used is an old one and credits are given.

• voidofopinion
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #3 by voidofopinion Replied by voidofopinion on topic Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]

crosire wrote: Yes, you may do that if you make it clear the version used is an old one and credits are given.

Thank you!

You have just made my life so much easier! I'm not the best at support and 2.0.3 does an amazing job of installing all the correct files where they need to go in a way that almost anyone can understand!

When I made the mod back in 2013 for Oldrim it was my intention to draw as much publicity to SweetFX as possible. I was trying to show that the shader suite could go toe to toe with ENB at a fraction of the performance cost, so the description is already very heavily underscored on just what SweetFX and ReShade are. However, I will go, update and be sure the version is included more prominently to avoid any confusion with 3.0.5.

Again, thank you Crosire!

• crosire
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]
Just make sure you do not confuse ReShade and SweetFX. SweetFX is a shader library, ReShade is the injector that does all the heavy lifting in the background. They are different projects and as of ReShade 3.0 it now comes with its own shader collection and no longer uses SweetFX.
Also, I'd appreciate if you update to ReShade 3.0 as soon as you find the time to do so =). Saves me a lot of headaches if people are all on the latest version.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuniyo

• voidofopinion
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #5 by voidofopinion Replied by voidofopinion on topic Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]
The way I explained it in the mods description was that ReShade is the engine and SweetFX is the game that runs on that engine. I read it somewhere on these forums some time ago and it always stuck with me as a wonderful and easy to understand explanation.

There are also a bunch of links and references to the ReShade website and notations that my profiles uses a much older version of ReShade from the current 3.0.5 version. ReShade 3.0.5 seems amazing and I am really looking forward to playing with all the new toys!

I am trying to be as transparent as humanly possible about what everything is, who owns what and how my "mod" is just a config file for a series of tools and shaders made by people with far more talent than I who deserve as much publicity and praise as possible.

:)

• crosire
More
7 years 5 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Modding distribution with old versions? [SkyrimSE]
Thank you =)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.