My Reshade 3.07 wishlist

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1 by Martigen My Reshade 3.07 wishlist was created by Martigen
Now Reshade is open source (woohoo!), if any programmers need an itch to scratch please consider the following. I can offer huge thanks and dubious references to kudos, beer, donuts and supermodels (perhaps together, depending on your tastes) in addition to the clearly global fame you will achieve for making the world (or at least, Reshade) a better place! Or something like it.

Key assignment

Ignore the key press of a key when it's assigned in the 'Toggle Key' box. If you're wondering why, enable say seven shaders and now assign a single key to all of those in turn (so you can, as with old SweetFX, enable/disable all shaders at once) and see what happens.

Move to top option
Allow for right-clicking on a shader and selecting 'Move to top', whereby it immediately moves that shader to the top, following the last currently enabled shader. This saves painfully dragging shaders throughout the list just to sequence them.

Lock a shader in place
It's fantastic being able to change the ordering of shaders in real-time, but sometimes dragging shaders up and down a list forces other shaders to be knocked out of order. Being able to right-click and select 'Lock in place' would be a great option (and another reason to have a right-click menu along with 'Move to top' above) that preserves the ordering of those shaders locked in that order. You can still drag other unlocked shaders in between them to see how the ordering of shaders affects output, but those specific locked shaders will always keep their ordering between them regardless.

Performance + mode
The big one, the single most important feature I'd like to see. Add a new mode called 'Performance +' that only loads and initialises enabled shaders. You may already know why, but if not:

With the sheer number of games, and the multitude of Reshade installations across them, it's become easier to have a single install of Reshade's Shaders and Textures directories and point all Reshade installations to this single directory as a global repository.

This makes it far easier to manage Reshade installations as well as update Reshade and third-party shaders -- you only need to update one directory, instead of dozens across multitudes of games. It's a fantastic feature of Reshade that allows us to do this.

For myself, I currently have 60 shaders installed that includes the default ones, Pirate Kitty's shaders and Ioxa's shaders -- this is say nothing of those in the Requests thread if you wanted to add those to the mix. And, naturally, it now takes a while for a game to initialize every time you play/reload Reshade/Switch between Performance and Configuration modes/the game re-initializes the frame buffer etc.

Now, you could argue that once you've finished setting a game up that you then copy just the shaders you want to the game's directory, and re-assign the paths in Reshade for that installation to just that game's directory. Sure, but now we're back to individually keeping track of and updating individual game directories as shaders are updated/added. And, I can't speak for others, but I find myself continually tweaking shaders as I try out different effects, add new shaders, as the game progresses to see if I can improve on the profile. It may only be a handful of shaders that are being used in a game, but Reshade has to load 60 every time regardless.

Hence a new mode above 'Performance' called 'Performance +' or whatever tickles your fancy that is the same as Performance, but it reads the .ini file first and will only initialise those shaders listed in the Techniques= line.

This would provide fast load times without the need to move shaders from a global repository and fiddle with settings. Additionally, it doesn't prevent going back to trying out other shaders -- you simply change mode to Performance or Configuration again, and the full list of available shaders would be loaded. And, of course, even for those not using a global repository it will still allow you to improve load times without the need to go into the Shaders directory and delete the shaders you don't want -- which you might end up regretting when you want to fiddle with other shaders and then need to copy them back again from another source.

These are all quality-of-life improvements to Reshade, and if you take up the challenge, thank you in advance!

Mart
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Martigen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 5Alex, Sunesha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #2 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
Bumpitty!

So, anyone feel a urge to submit some patches? :)

I can provide, uh, verbal encouragement. Or possibly beer (serious, send me address, can ship globally).

• v00d00m4n
More
7 years 2 months ago #3 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
Pirate Kitty's shaders and Ioxa's shaders - where can I get those?

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #4 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist

v00d00m4n wrote: Pirate Kitty's shaders and Ioxa's shaders - where can I get those?

Excellent question.

PirateKitty: reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/254...ers-for-reshade3-yar
Ioxa: reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/270...ioxa-for-reshade-3-0

Though I recommend reading the latest posts within those threads in case some shaders were later updated either as quotes or downloadable files.

One more request for 3.07 wishlist!

Statistics page FPS load
On the stats page the total load for all shaders operating appears as a function of ms frametime. This is useful in comparison to compare loads among shaders, but I find it hard to calculate what this actually translates to in terms of FPS loss. Is there a simple equation that can be added (perhaps in brackets, after the ms value) showing eg '(2 fps)'?

And, anyone keen to work on any of these features? What can I do to tempt talented programmers to give these a shot?

• Sunesha
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
My wishes

I have two GUI wishes. Mostly quality of life wishes

Indication where is the middle of the bar between shader on/off and shader settings
Especially when I use downsampling like DSR, it can be a bitch to find the right spot to adjust it. Either make the area bigger to find the spot to adjust it or like other software indicate the spot with dot or small dash.

Remember GUI zoom level and gui size
It would be awesome if GUI zoom level and gui size was saved in the the Dxgi.ini. This probably right place as preset.ini could make some weird shit if you share it.

Oh BTW, Martigen. Hope you don't mind that I added my wishes here to =l
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Sunesha.

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #6 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist

Sunesha wrote: Oh BTW, Martigen. Hope you don't mind that I added my wishes here to =l

Not at all, the more the merrier!

And on that note, I guess we don't have any programmers reading these boards? :/

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
Alright team, what are we going to do?

We thought open-sourcing would attract other programmers, but alas. I imagine the biggest problem is awareness -- Reshade is hugely popular, but the number of people visiting this forum is small.

Two options: advertise for programmers on other forums you visit, or perhaps we should do a go-fund-me or similar page and raise some funds to pay a programmer to make changes (though we would need to agree on a set list of changes as a community -- like any project it would need defined limits that once agreed upon cannot be changed for the project workload).

Thoughts?
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Martigen.

• Qsimil
More
7 years 1 month ago #8 by Qsimil Replied by Qsimil on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
I would spare few bucks for anyone willing to add anything on wishlist, but we need some proof first (do one thing on the list perhaps?) before sending him/them any money.

• piltrafus
More
7 years 1 month ago #9 by piltrafus Replied by piltrafus on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
Reshade is a pretty solid piece of software. My impression is that it is working properly in a massive number of games, old and new. The main path to improvement is to increase its compatibility so more games can use it (also zbuffer detection could be more robust).
You can always dream about Temporal antialiasing and other stuff that reshade is not designed for. But that's like talking about crating a different program.

I personally don't see any of the suggestions made for new features as absolutely necessary. We all have our needs and opinions but some of the suggestions I've seen are pretty small stuff. It's obvious that no developer would waste time with unnecessary features.
This is still crosire's project. I bet that if any good ideas come up he will probably come here and say "hey, that's a good idea." And then he either will devote time to it or put it in some official development roadmap for others to offer meaningful help.

Now, shaders are still the main feature here. existing shaders can be improved and new ones can be added.
just my opinion.

• Vermu
More
7 years 1 month ago #10 by Vermu Replied by Vermu on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
Would it be possible to have changable presets so that I could bind different presets for different keys. Then I could change to prefered preset just pressing one key. Elite Dangerous is game that needs more presets that just one if you are going to alter grapchis a bit more. When interior looks good, exterior or space won't. It would be cool to change the preset by just pressing a key when you are leaving station. Or is this possible already?

• arnob216
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #11 by arnob216 Replied by arnob216 on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
I am only a user (totally noob) and don't know any technical things. But, I would love one feature in this app which is limiting the frames or simply vsync kinda like ENB mods which do have that option.

• Diceman
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12 by Diceman Replied by Diceman on topic My Reshade 3.07 wishlist
fix the broken compatibility with d3doverrider (last worked together in 3.0.4)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.