How does reshade work?

• kcorj2244
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #1 by kcorj2244 How does reshade work? was created by kcorj2244
If I open process hacker, I can't seem to find any handle or any process related to Reshade. What process does it use? It obviously needs to have a handle in order to inject, so where is it? MY AV keeps freaking out but I can't find the process to exclude...

Also question for the dev: where are you actually doing your draws? There isn't much documentation on the d3d11 hook.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by kcorj2244.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How does reshade work?
ReShade doesn't run in a process. It pretends to be the DirectX or OpenGL driver, so that games load ReShade instead of the actual driver and send all render commands to ReShade. ReShade then passes those commands on to the real driver while adding and modifying some commands to do its thing.

Post-processing under D3D11 happens when the game calls IDXGISwapChain::Present to mark a finished frame.

• kcorj2244
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #3 by kcorj2244 Replied by kcorj2244 on topic How does reshade work?

crosire wrote: ReShade doesn't run in a process. It pretends to be the DirectX or OpenGL driver, so that games load ReShade instead of the actual driver and send all render commands to ReShade. ReShade then passes those commands on to the real driver while adding and modifying some commands to do its thing.

Post-processing under D3D11 happens when the game calls IDXGISwapChain::Present to mark a finished frame.

Okay interesting that games allow that. What happens if I were to make changes to the source? I assume that game devs have some sort of whitelisting going on for you.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by kcorj2244.

• crosire
More
6 years 11 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How does reshade work?
Many Anti-Cheat tools whitelist ReShade. Modifying the source code would cause those to pick it up as a cheat again and take action against you. But games not making use of such software (e.g. singleplayer games) generally won't mind.

• Tricky
More
6 years 3 months ago #5 by Tricky Replied by Tricky on topic How does reshade work?

crosire wrote: ReShade doesn't run in a process. It pretends to be the DirectX or OpenGL driver, so that games load ReShade instead of the actual driver and send all render commands to ReShade. ReShade then passes those commands on to the real driver while adding and modifying some commands to do its thing.

So when a game won't 'start' reshade, it won't detect the pretend driver for some reason?

Interesting. I'm trying to figure out why it won't load in Stardew Valley on Windows 10 (in my situation anyhow). Everything's installed correctly. Just nothing happens, it's being ignored. There must be a reason why it is acting like this. I decided to try and to figure out how Reshade works for now.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.