HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #1 by jmp909 HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer? was created by jmp909
Hi,

just wondering if instead of using a mask graphic, would it not be possible to exclude the HUD from post-processing by comparing a 2D representation of the depthbuffer somehow? (since the 2D elements don't generally appear in the depthbuffer)

I guess even if it was possible this would be slower though (but more accurate)

or alternatively would it be possible to have a shader that only output colour pixels to the screen where DepthBuffer information was available?

basically have 2D and 3D elements of the screen as separate buffers and only apply 3D post-processing (DOF/AO) to one of them?

I may have grossly misundestood the process of course! ;)

thanks
J
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by jmp909.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
That won't work unfortunately: The depthbuffer has information for the whole screen, including the parts where the 2D HUD is drawn over. What to compare then? The colorbuffer includes the HUD, the depthbuffer doesn't. That's nice and all, but it doesn't help, since there is no way to figure out which part of the colorbuffer is HUD now, as there is 3D depth information for every pixel of it. =)

• Kleio420
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #3 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

crosire wrote: That won't work unfortunately: The depthbuffer has information for the whole screen, including the parts where the 2D HUD is drawn over. What to compare then? The colorbuffer includes the HUD, the depthbuffer doesn't. That's nice and all, but it doesn't help, since there is no way to figure out which part of the colorbuffer is HUD now, as there is 3D depth information for every pixel of it. =)

theres another injector for downsampling that can dump some info from the shaders thats able to find where the hud is , would that be possible to do in reshade ? www.pcgamer.com/how-to-create-sweetfx-st...h-durantes-gedosato/

• Martigen
More
9 years 1 week ago #4 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

crosire wrote: That won't work unfortunately: The depthbuffer has information for the whole screen, including the parts where the 2D HUD is drawn over. What to compare then? The colorbuffer includes the HUD, the depthbuffer doesn't. That's nice and all, but it doesn't help, since there is no way to figure out which part of the colorbuffer is HUD now, as there is 3D depth information for every pixel of it. =)

I'm totally out of my depth here (heh, no pun intended), but if the depth ranges from say 1 to 1000, and we can presume the HUD as 2D is equivalent to being depth 1, would excluding effects from applying at depth 1 do the job? I know there would be other information on screen at depth 1, the closest part of the 3D-view in front of the player, but would you notice effects not being applied on this first depth 1 layer when it's on the other 999 levels being rendered on screen?

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
As said, the HUD is usually not part of the depthbuffer. So you cannot test for that.

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #6 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
Have you got any plans to look into Durante's code? (It's open source it seems).

Also, could it actually be used to hide the HUD or just bypass the processing?

I still don't quite understand CheatEngine and assembly enough to be doing HUD removal yet :(

Actually looking at the GitHub, I guess it's only open source for contributions. Be good if he could get on board with the rest of you!
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by jmp909.

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
There is no need to look into the source. It's really simple, it simply does the post processing pass after a certain shader bind call to the rendering API which is identified via a hash of the shader.
It's just that I don't like the whole process, as mentioned in various places already =).

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #8 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
I'm just catching up sorry! Thanks for the feedback

I see they can potentially work together although I've not tried it www.deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/...de-is-in-public-beta

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
No need to be sorry. HUD exclusion is on the TODO list, I'm just trying to find a nicer/automatic way to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmp909, ValerBOSS

• Marty McFly
More
9 years 1 week ago #10 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
The goal is not to mask the HUD by preventing it from being processed but to gather the color info of what's behind it, process it and then apply the HUD on top. Because of this, every masking attempt is a hacky solution. ENB does the same, you can see it when using blurring or something like that, if a green object is fully covered by HUD, ENB still knows there is something green behind it, while our texture/whatever masking just handles it as if it were outside the screen boundaries.

• louiscarter88
More
8 years 8 months ago #11 by louiscarter88 Replied by louiscarter88 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
How goes progress on the HUD exclusion?

Also, you said in another post ReShade CAN indeed apply the post processing before certain shaders, would you consider enabling that functionality for those of us who have already dug up the hash codes from using GeDoSaTo?

• crosire
More
8 years 8 months ago #12 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

louiscarter88 wrote: How goes progress on the HUD exclusion?

Also, you said in another post ReShade CAN indeed apply the post processing before certain shaders, would you consider enabling that functionality for those of us who have already dug up the hash codes from using GeDoSaTo?

I didn't work on it, because I decided to feature-freeze the ReShade beta at some point, until release. So now that that happened, it's time to start looking into it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MaxG3D, GERgta, louiscarter88

• louiscarter88
More
8 years 8 months ago #13 by louiscarter88 Replied by louiscarter88 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
Good to hear.

While you work on the automated solution, is there a way to tell ReShade to inject a pixel shader if I already have the hash?

• Lahdra
More
8 years 6 months ago #14 by Lahdra Replied by Lahdra on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
Hey Crosire, just started using reshade and loving it! I'm really looking forward to the prospect of HUD exclusion so I can take advantage of some of these more interesting effects - any news at all or thoughts on this?

• louiscarter88
More
8 years 6 months ago #15 by louiscarter88 Replied by louiscarter88 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
Hate to be a nag but I'm going to just BUMP this again. Depth based effects are just too pretty and the HUD exclusion would make reshade absolutely PERFECT in my eyes.

• Lahdra
More
8 years 5 months ago #16 by Lahdra Replied by Lahdra on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
Hey guys! Still using ReShade and super enjoying myself, but absolutely desperate for this feature! Any word or workarounds looked into at all the past few months?

• Kleio420
More
8 years 5 months ago #17 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

Lahdra wrote: Hey guys! Still using ReShade and super enjoying myself, but absolutely desperate for this feature! Any word or workarounds looked into at all the past few months?

there is a automated setting that will attempt its best to exclude the UI through a mask being overlayed on the image imo it doesnt work very well in most cases most UI elements are transparent

• Ganossa
More
8 years 5 months ago #18 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

Kleio420 wrote: ... it doesnt work very well ...

:dry: :huh: :S :(

• Kleio420
More
8 years 5 months ago #19 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?

LuciferHawk wrote:

Kleio420 wrote: ... it doesnt work very well ...

:dry: :huh: :S :(

LOL poor choice of words , the work around works as intended just not perfect in every situation example UI elements that only show during say conversation with a game npc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa

• petercroft
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #20 by petercroft Replied by petercroft on topic HUD exclusion via Depthbuffer?
The mask works fine, but it can be used only for the static elements of the hud. For other elements of the user inteface, (inventory or other menus) or those parts of the hud that are not static (not always in the same place or has not always the same shape, for example), the mask cannot help.

I hope you guys will find an alternative solution. Nonetheless your work is really great, thanks for your efforts.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by petercroft.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.