How do I create a single folder for all my games?

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #1 by Martigen How do I create a single folder for all my games? was created by Martigen
Yes you can create a single folder for all shaders -- this is what I do.

And yes it's easier as you can just have a single shader repository that you update or add to occasionally that all games load their shaders from. No, shaders don't differ per game, they are simply shaders that are applied as you choose them to be to whatever framebuffer output Reshade is hooking into.

How to do this:

1) Copy the Shaders and Textures (you need both) directory from a game where you did install all shaders to a new location.

2) Copy a current Reshade.ini from a game or create a new one and place it wherever you like -- I place it where I save Reshade installers, so as new releases come out I can have the Resahde DLLs and the .ini configuration files in one place.

If you're making a new one, copy and paste the following into your Reshade.ini:
[INPUT]
KeyMenu=113,0,1
KeyScreenshot=44,0,0
InputProcessing=2
KeyEffects=0,0,0

[GENERAL]
PerformanceMode=1
ScreenshotPath=.
EffectSearchPaths=m:\reshade\shaders,m:\reshade-kitty\shaders
TextureSearchPaths=m:\reshade\textures,m:\reshade-kitty\textures
PreprocessorDefinitions=RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=1000.0,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN=0,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=1,RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC=0,FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET=39,SMAA_PREDICATION=1
TutorialProgress=4
PresetFiles=.\reshade-game.ini
CurrentPreset=0
ScreenshotFormat=1
ShowClock=0
ShowFPS=1
FontGlobalScale=1.000000
NoReloadOnInit=0
SaveWindowState=1

Much of this is optional, but you'll note 3 key configuration lines:
EffectSearchPaths=m:\reshade\shaders
TextureSearchPaths=m:\reshade\textures
PresetFiles=.\reshade-game.ini

You'll see I have my shaders installed on m:\ drive. There's also the PresetFiles line. This allows you to also copy a default profile with your favourite settings already done to every new game you install Resahde to. You can name it ewhatever you want, I call mine 'reshade-game.ini'. It's important to note the relative path here -- '.\' -- this means Reashde will look in the directory it loads from.

This enables you to have a different Reshade profile per game -- stored in the game's directory -- whilst sharing a global directory for shaders and textures.

Then, to install Reshade to a game:

1) Run the the installer, point it to the game's directory, but select No to downloading the shader respositories. Then, copy your 'Reshade.ini' and 'reshade-game.ini' that you made earlier to the game's directory. Done!

or

2) Extract the Reshade DLLs from the installer -- launch it, then press CTRL while clicking on the install button. This will unpack the .DLL files. To install to a game, simply copy the reshade32.dll or reshade64.dll to a game's .exe directory and rename it to d3d9.dll, dxgi.dll, d3d11.dll or opengl32.dll as appropriate. Then follow step 1 above to copy your ini files across.

As new releases of Reshade come out, you can re-unpack the .DLLs or simply use the installer to install the .DLLs to a game, then just copy 2 files -- Reshade.ini and reshade-game.ini to the game's .exe directory.

It probably looks more complex than it actually is, I'm just covering all bases above. It takes 2 seconds to install Reshade to a new game with a global repository and your custom default shader setup :)

As for the contents of reshade-game.ini, well that's up to you. Mine simply contains this:
TechniqueSorting=MXAO,LumaSharpen,AdaptiveSharpen,FXAA,SMAA,Clarity,Clarity2,HDR,Curves,Vibrance,AmbientLight,DisplayDepth,DPX

[SMAA.fx]
EdgeDetectionType=1
EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.100000
MaxSearchSteps=32
PredicationScale=0.200000
MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=16
CornerRounding=0
PredicationStrength=0.400000
PredicationThreshold=0.010000
DebugOutput=0
This doesn't enable or configure any shaders except for SMAA. The main thing for me is the TechniqueSorting line, as this will place these shaders right at the top in order, so I can easily find and configure my most commonly used shaders :)
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Martigen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
4 years 3 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How do I create a single folder for all my games?
It doesn't have to be that complicated. You can simply install ReShade as usual, but during installation select No when in asks to download shaders and when it finished, click the "Edit ReShade settings" button and adjust the "Effect Search Paths" and "Texture Search Paths" in the window that opens to whatever central location you want to have them at. This will do what Martigen described, just without you having to manually go through config files.

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #3 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic How do I create a single folder for all my games?

crosire wrote: It doesn't have to be that complicated. You can simply install ReShade as usual, but during installation select No when in asks to download shaders and when it finished, click the "Edit ReShade settings" button and adjust the "Effect Search Paths" and "Texture Search Paths" in the window that opens to whatever central location you want to have them at. This will do what Martigen described, just without you having to manually go through config files.

I must admit I haven't used the Reshade installer in a long time, and just manually install the .DLLs, so this is good to know :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.