Would it be possible to write the depth to a file somehow?

• nakte
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1 by nakte Would it be possible to write the depth to a file somehow? was created by nakte
I want to record the game itself and the depth matte in parallel, so I was wondering if there would be some way to write the depth stream from reshade to a file without displaying it on top of the game.

Can anyone point me to the part of the source code where the depth is accessed? for Team fortess 2 specifically if that matters.
If anyone has any tips on the matter I'd be very happy to hear it but otherwise I might be able to work something out on my own.

edit: if someone knows that it just isnt possible to make this work with any amount of programming I would also be happy to hear that so I know if I should just give up or not (:

edit 2: I guess one dumb way to do it would be to make some scuffed script that plays the game 1 frame, captures the frame, then enables resahde depth buffer, captures that frame, then disables depth  and then advances to the next frame and then repeats the process until the entire gameplay replay has been traversed.

So basically you pause the replay at each frame and take 2 screenshots, 1 without depth showing and 1 with depth showing, and then compile the iamge sequences with ffmpeg or something.

thanks a lot!

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by nakte.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
3 years 3 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Would it be possible to write the depth to a file somehow?
It's not currently possible, see also reshade.me/forum/suggestions/7033-full-r...-depth-buffer-export . But even if depth export were implemented, it would still only work on a single frame, since ReShade has no video capture functionality natively.

• nakte
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #3 by nakte Replied by nakte on topic Would it be possible to write the depth to a file somehow?
ok thank you very much. I dont necessarily need to export the depth in video format guess, I could probably do the frame wise double screenshot method, but if I understand you correctly, the only way to do it is still by taking a screenshot manually, I cant do it automatically i guess.

anyway, keep up the great work!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.