Here's my best-effort attempt to match TAA image quality using SMAA. (preset)

More
3 weeks 1 hour ago #1 by lordbean
I hate the shimmering TAA often causes, so I've been puttering at SMAA to see just how much I can coax out of it. I've got it tuned down to the point where it does a pretty good job of being a viable TAA alternative. The core concept here is to use a pre-pass of contrast-adaptive sharpening to help SMAA see where in the scene it needs to apply. Since I'm using it in this way, the preset for it looks pretty weird - but it seems to do the intended job fairly well. The pre-sharpening pass does also have some benefit towards the original intent of pulling the scene more into focus, although it should still be possible to run another sharpening routine after SMAA without generating artifacts - this may be desirable in some games with small UI elements since in order to match TAA's ability to round out curves, this SMAA preset is applying 100% effect to corners. Overall though, the pre-sharpen pass keeps SMAA from making TOO much of a mess of small UI elements. The SMAA pass is VERY aggressive and fine-grained, so you might occasionally notice small anti-aliasing artifacts in places where it's difficult for SMAA to tell whether there really is an edge or not. From my testing, these are very small, generally not attention-grabbing, and don't happen all that often. Compared to TAA shimmering, they're basically negligible.

This preset didn't really fit in the presets area because you can load this on pretty much any game that has TAA as an option and it should work. I've tried these identical presets on several already. You need the SweetFX package and the default ReShade package to apply this.
PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=,
TechniqueSorting=,

[CAS.fx]
Contrast=-50.000000
Sharpening=50.000000
[SMAA.fx]
CornerRounding=100
DebugOutput=0
DepthEdgeDetectionThreshold=0.001000
EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.015000
EdgeDetectionType=1
MaxSearchSteps=112
MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=20
PredicationEnabled=1
PredicationScale=8.000000
PredicationStrength=4.000000
PredicationThreshold=1.000000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #2 by lordbean
Here's some side-by-sides for comparison. Will try to add more games over time. TAA unquestionably wins any screenshot competition, but bear in mind certain games also shimmer like crazy with it (Satisfactory is a good example). There's no shimmering with the CAS-SMAA setup.

Borderlands 3

Satisfactory
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by lordbean.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #3 by lordbean
For some reason I can't edit or otherwise use the full message posting UI - tried both Chrome and Edge and both are just showing me a blank in the UI where the writing pane should be.

That aside, here's another preset using the same concept, only with a LumaSharpen prepass and Luminance edge detection. Seems to work fairly well, it detects edges overall slightly less aggressively but also seems less prone to interacting with UIs and other post process effects.
PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=,
TechniqueSorting=,

[LumaSharpen.fx]
offset_bias=1.000000
pattern=3
sharp_clamp=0.010000
sharp_strength=0.900000
show_sharpen=0

[SMAA.fx]
CornerRounding=100
DebugOutput=0
DepthEdgeDetectionThreshold=0.001000
EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.015000
EdgeDetectionType=0
MaxSearchSteps=112
MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=20
PredicationEnabled=1
PredicationScale=3.5
PredicationStrength=4.000000
PredicationThreshold=1.000000