PirateKitty's shaders (For Reshade2)

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #1 by PirateKitty PirateKitty's shaders (For Reshade2) was created by PirateKitty
After dealing with the number of samplers bug in No Man's Sky breaking stuff, I ended just moving my ENB shaders to ReShade.

Here are my original ENB shaders if you're curious:
Toon Shader
Post Process shaders
Bloom
DoF

Effects:
  • Curve based contrast
  • Vibrance
  • Luma Sharpen
  • FXAA
  • Vignette
  • Tonemap
  • Eye/Light Adaptation
  • Bloom
Toon effects:
  • Borders
  • Posterize
  • Black & White
Depth based effects:
  • Unsharp Mask
  • Flashlight
  • AO, GI and Scatter

They're all programmed by me and designed to be customizable and fast. I put toggles where it matters and made it clear what impacts performance. If I'm not too lazy, I will transfer these to ReShade 3 when it's officially released. No promises, but I might add other effects later, such as AO, DoF, Tonemapping, etc. A friend already request vignettes, so that might be next.

Download Link
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by PirateKitty. Reason: Specifying this is for reshade 2.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, NattyDread, Elimina, mindu, andrew, XIIICaesar, AlfalfaX, Valentine8342, Gar Stazi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Drogean
More
7 years 8 months ago #2 by Drogean Replied by Drogean on topic PirateKitty's shaders
thanks for doing this

not sure why you're re-inventing the wheel though when most of those are already working in No Mans Sky. The stuff like Gaussian/Bloom/AO/Ambient light are the ones that are broken

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #3 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders

Drogean wrote: not sure why you're re-inventing the wheel

Not all wheels are made the same.

• Daemonjax
More
7 years 8 months ago #4 by Daemonjax Replied by Daemonjax on topic PirateKitty's shaders
I'd kill for a working SMAA shader in NMS.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #5 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
I could add it tomorrow. I don't particularly see an advantage in it.

I was working on depth based shaders today, but NMS depth breaks too easily and starts showing the silhouette of a creature at random. I might have to use another game to finish them.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #6 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Updated to a new version. plus some screenshots from NMS

The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #7 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Things are happening.
AO+IL Might be up in the next version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• abrad1212
More
7 years 8 months ago #8 by abrad1212 Replied by abrad1212 on topic PirateKitty's shaders
This doesn't work for me! It says

Compiling Effect ... Succeeded
Loading Effect ...

and then It keeps loading and loading

Here is opengl32.dll log

any help would be nice

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #9 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Can't really say what is doing it with that log.

But if this is on NMS and you have the script extender launcher, it's known that reshade doesn't work with that.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 8 months ago #10 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic PirateKitty's shaders
ReShade ran into a loop there, it's constantly switching to a new runtime, implementing it's hooks and doing that all over again. Nothing a shader pack could cause.

PirateKitty Nice work on those shaders! Though the vibrance shader is 1:1 identical to the SweetFX one so you really reinvented the wheel there :p
Looking forward to your AO/IL solution to see how it performs compared to MXAO.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #11 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Really? I suppose that would happen with very specific effects.

I also noticed I forgot to do something on the curves and feel dumb, so I fixed that for the next version.

I based it partially on HBAO. It's the first iteration, so it's a bit slow and it's too high frequency. I sill have work to do on it so it will look better and hopefully run faster.

Edit: There is a 'bug' with bloom that won't let it compile on certain games. I derped, but that will be fixed on the next version with AO.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by PirateKitty.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #12 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Almost ready to go. Just a bit more work, so I should be able to update the link tonight or tomorrow.

Here's one example of it in NMS:

Without AO/IL

Couple different quality settings:

And their masks:

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #13 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Work continues, AO+GI mask, at 75% resolution

Just need to optimize things. I wanted to make sure GI was looking pretty first and currently it's running separate from AO. It's eating 10fps from NMS, so that's a nono. If I have time I will finish tonight.

(not that NMS is optimized to begin with, this same code on Grimrock2 takes only 2 fps)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by PirateKitty. Reason: how 2 gramer?

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #14 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Shader is finally updated. Just download on the link in the first post.

Lemme know if there are any bugs or something. Takes a lot of fiddling to make the depth buffer and AO look proper in any given game, so good luck!

• AlfalfaX
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #15 by AlfalfaX Replied by AlfalfaX on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Hey,

nice shaders. Gonna test it a bit.
Do you recommend using them with some other mods like the Instagram filter removal mod? Or just stock NMS?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by AlfalfaX.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #16 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
They help, mine doesn't do color tinting, so depends if you like the look or not.

Also, be aware that NMS's depth buffer is pretty broken, so the AO/GI only works in planets and breaks (til you restart the game) if you scan anything. I've only been using NMS to actually program it, I don't use the AO when playing normally in it.

• mindu
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #17 by mindu Replied by mindu on topic PirateKitty's shaders
This is becoming a must have shader pack, thanks for your awesome work!

Something I noticed with fastFXAA it barely removes any jaggies with default settings, but if I don't USETHRESHOLD then makes everything blurry :P

Is there any possibility to port TAA to ReShade? it looks interesting in the paper but I don't know if this is even possible to do with ReShade.

de45xmedrsdbp.cloudfront.net/Resources/f...A_small-59732822.pdf
bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/cinemat...e-effects/branch/taa
github.com/gokselgoktas/temporal-anti-al...d07f2d6fd6ead82e202d
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by mindu.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #18 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Thanks!

Threshold is used to avoid it blurring text, which looks bad. It takes a bit of setup for it to look good depending on the contrast you're getting in your game.
Here's the original comparison image - staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/im...481-2-1383691713.gif

It does a decent enough job, but I made it to be fast primarily. I might give it a second look to add more quality options.

It's possible to port TAA, but do I want to? No :p
It's meant to simulate shutter speed and doesn't have anything to do with jaggies. It's a motion blur essentially and to me that looks bad way more often than it looks good, specially when it's used on low FPS games. It can remove jaggies in slow moving grass (for example), but that's a byproduct, not the main purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mindu

• mindu
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #19 by mindu Replied by mindu on topic PirateKitty's shaders
oh yeah more options for fFXAA definitely would be really useful, also considering is so lightweight... even original FXAA which have higher quality is almost performance free (at least compared to SMAA).

About TAA I honestly don't know how it really works, but since your explanation I agree with you I definitely don't want that either (but I had to ask because they put it so pretty in presentations...)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by mindu.

• PirateKitty
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #20 by PirateKitty Replied by PirateKitty on topic PirateKitty's shaders
Depends on the FXAA implementation, some are damn slow thanks to using a lot of forks on the code.

As for my FXAA, I tried it on KSP with no threshold and 0.5 strength to avoid AAing the UI, it looks quite decent. Just gotta realize that there are some jaggies that no screenspace AA will ever remove, only MSAA (And similar resolution based aa) or changing internal resolution can deal with those. What I can do is add a second pass to smooth out the blur, but I think that's a bit unnecessary. I will test it out and see how it looks.

If your game is running at >60FPS, TAA does look nice, you get a very natural motion blur, but that's a rarity with AAA games being so sluggish.