Comic Shader

• Daodan
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #1 by Daodan Comic Shader was created by Daodan
Here's a new shader I've been working on lately: Comic.fx .

(Reference)
Warning: Spoiler!

In order to achieve this look this shader uses different sorts of (configurable) edge detection methods on the color and depth information of the frame. Also, every edge layer can be individually faded in and out with distance. After all the layers are combined the resulting layer can be masked based on the luminosity and saturation of the original color (useful to mask the game's UI).

Here is the edge layer from the first image:

With the debug option you can also create some interesting stuff (I posted that image also in the screenshots thread):
This is the debug output with the saturation mask overlay enabled and the value for the max saturation turned down. (And also a couple of other shaders)
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Daodan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CeeJay.dk, Apocalypso, acknowledge, Deathmedic, OtisInf, Uncle Crassius, WalterDasTrevas, Ryukou36, GP-Unity, Sinclair and 14 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OtisInf
More
5 years 5 months ago #2 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Comic Shader (WIP/Experiment)
Very nice! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daodan

• Deathmedic
More
5 years 5 months ago #3 by Deathmedic Replied by Deathmedic on topic Comic Shader (WIP/Experiment)
Will have to test this out now...

• Daodan
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #4 by Daodan Replied by Daodan on topic Comic Shader
Shader has been updated:
  • Tweaked default values
  • Optimization: runs now about 0.5 ms faster (from ~1.3 ms to ~0.7 ms), no more texture usage

[Edit]
Fixed wrong variable used in the interpolation of the convolution kernels.
[strike]I'm also currently adding descriptions in the source code.[/strike] Done.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Daodan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OtisInf, Arkane, gottenspell

• Apocalypso
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #5 by Apocalypso Replied by Apocalypso on topic Comic Shader
I always wanted a shader that properly did this. Thank you!!

Any idea why is this happening? It works fine while in configuration mode, but it doesn't work in performance mode. (plus some initial tests screens).

Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Apocalypso.

• Daodan
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #6 by Daodan Replied by Daodan on topic Comic Shader

Apocalypso wrote: I always wanted a shader that properly did this. Thank you!!

Thanks! :)

Apocalypso wrote: Any idea why is this happening? It works fine while in configuration mode, but it doesn't work in performance mode. (plus some initial tests screens).

I don't know why this is happening. The error log states that there are divisions by zero. Which is weird because I made sure that this is not happening. This is the only place where division gets used (lines 468 - 473, in the current version , I will add a changelog and version number to the file so tackling future issues will be easier):
float span = MAX2(maxd) - MIN2(mind) + 0.00001;

//Normalize values
depthCenter /= span;
depthCardinal /= span;
depthInterCardinal /= span;
I don't think this will help but try changing 0.00001 to something bigger like 0.001.

Other than that the ReShade compatibility list states that there could be some issues in Gw2 with the depth buffer access (which is used to draw the object outlines):
Depth buffer only works when standing still. Doesn't work with ingame SSAA. Put files into "\bin\".

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Apocalypso

• Apocalypso
More
5 years 5 months ago #7 by Apocalypso Replied by Apocalypso on topic Comic Shader
Us gw2 players use a modified version of reshade that removes depth buffer limitations and injects it before the ui is drawn. Unfortunately Greenbur is a busy person and didn't update it for a while, so we're stuck with something based on an old ReShade version (3.08 I believe). That is why I'm getting that error, I tried with official ReShade and I got no error, so I guess I'm going to just keep playing with configuration mode. Thanks again!

• Sunesha
More
5 years 5 months ago #8 by Sunesha Replied by Sunesha on topic Comic Shader
Just stopped by to say, really cool stuff :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daodan

• nhjnhj
More
5 years 4 months ago #9 by nhjnhj Replied by nhjnhj on topic Comic Shader
cool

• One3rd
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #10 by One3rd Replied by One3rd on topic Comic Shader
This sound like a pretty neat shader. What version of Reshade will I need to use this with? I've tried 3.4.1 and 4.0 but get a compile error in both.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by One3rd. Reason: syntax

• Daodan
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #11 by Daodan Replied by Daodan on topic Comic Shader
Oh. Can you please post what compiler errors you get so I can figure out what's wrong?

• One3rd
More
5 years 2 months ago #12 by One3rd Replied by One3rd on topic Comic Shader
And I'm an idiot! I downloaded the shader from GitHub by right clicking -> save as and it saves as an XML file. I've now grabbed the entire shader folder with the "download ZIP" option and it's working fine in Reshade v3.4.1.351.

• Deathmedic
More
5 years 1 month ago #13 by Deathmedic Replied by Deathmedic on topic Comic Shader
skyrim gallery

looks good, a nice set of options too.

• lordbean
More
4 years 10 months ago #14 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Comic Shader
This shader is really nice, much more nuanced than Cartoon.fx. I spent a few hours with it and came up with a pretty convincing preset for Far Cry: New Dawn to make it look like Borderlands. I put it in the presets DB if anyone wants to try it out.

Should work ok with Far Cry 5 too. As far as I can tell there's no difference in the base engine for the two games.

• mirt81
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #15 by mirt81 Replied by mirt81 on topic Comic Shader
If this Shader works per Colour-Edge-Detection is there a way for Normal-Depth-Edge-Detection like Outline.fx ! ?

Outline.fx have also Colour-Edge-Detection but this mod have often Problems showing Outlines corect and Normal-Depth Edge Detection works always .

reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/261...and-outline?start=35

The Reason for my Question is that this Great Shader not work for all Games that Great :pinch:

Th@nks !
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by mirt81.

• lavos17
More
3 years 5 months ago #16 by lavos17 Replied by lavos17 on topic Comic Shader
Hi! This shader looks very promising, but trying to use it in Reshade 4.8.2 in Skyrim Legendary edition (Dx9) results for me in a compiler error with the message "implicit truncation of vector type".

I'll try it out with an earlier version of Reshade, but I was wondering if you had any solutions?

• crosire
More
3 years 5 months ago #17 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Comic Shader
A warning is not an error, so no reason to treat it as such.

• KCHARRO
More
3 years 4 months ago #18 by KCHARRO Replied by KCHARRO on topic Comic Shader
It gives an error when compiling the shader.

Full Log....

• crosire
More
3 years 4 months ago #19 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Comic Shader
You downloaded the HTML page, not the shader. That can't compile.

• Daodan
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago #20 by Daodan Replied by Daodan on topic Comic Shader
Actually there was an error in d3d9 where a loop couldn't be unrolled. This is fixed now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mirt81, gottenspell

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.