Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League

• aidotornado
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #1 by aidotornado Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League was created by aidotornado
Been using Adaptive fog for months now without any issues, but recently the fog either won't appear at all, or occasionally when it does manage to come up, it covers the entire screen, which it's only meant to cover parts of the screen that are distant. Is there something wrong with the depth detection or something? I feel like this might be the case as the Depth of Field struggles to work too.

Before anyone says this, yes I've turned off lens flares and transparent goal posts as they're known to bug out ReShade. I'll try attach some pictures below of my settings and what I'm experiencing.

Additionally, it also says this error in the d3d9.log which intrigued me. It says EnableAutoDepthStencil = False. It also says AutoDepthStencilFormat= 0. Could this have something to do with my issues?
Check the full log here.
pastebin.com/8gsYRuJZ

Here are my ingame screenshots:
AdaptiveFog settings: imgur.com/a/O8SKZM0
Gameplay w/ no filters: imgur.com/a/UBuz3ea
DOF messing up: imgur.com/a/1ugcGG7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OtisInf
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #2 by OtisInf Replied by OtisInf on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
First try to use the DisplayDepth shader, to visualize the depth buffer. If you see a black or white screen and no contours at all, then the depth buffer isn't detected and any depth-based shader won't work. Try to change the depth buffer reversed setting under 'settings' from 1 to 0 (or from 0 to 1) and click 'reload' on the main tab to see if that makes the depth buffer appear. If not, then the depth buffer isn't visible/available (either due to the game, or due to the fact it's perhaps an online game and reshade disables the depth buffer in that case)

From the screenshot I think it's rocket league, which is an online game and therefore no depth buffer.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by OtisInf.

• aidotornado
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3 by aidotornado Replied by aidotornado on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
Thank you for your response. Before checking here I was messing around in the ReShade.ini and happened to find the depth buffer reverse setting and changed it, which FINALLY allowed the game to display fog. Although in my replays, which are offline btw. It allowed the fog to work but half the time it would just cover the whole screen in fog, and the other half it would be fine.
I tried out Display Depth, and it only worked half the time, with the other half having the whole screen covered in white. Any idea why it only works half the time? ALso the online part shouldn't matter as i only use reshade for recording clips in replays :D

• aidotornado
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #4 by aidotornado Replied by aidotornado on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
Also crashed within 10 minutes of doing it. Then tried changing RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC from 1 to 0, with a crash coming from that too.

• Blacksmyth
More
3 years 5 months ago #5 by Blacksmyth Replied by Blacksmyth on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
Start Steam in Offline mode to bypass the buffer and it works like a charm.

• Northfold
More
3 years 1 month ago #6 by Northfold Replied by Northfold on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
Hi from the future, I figured out the video setting "lens flares" was messing with depth buffer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glog3t_77

• Glog3t_77
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #7 by Glog3t_77 Replied by Glog3t_77 on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
I just created an account just to thank you and OtisInf for this, saved my life :)

• Krixx
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #8 by Krixx Replied by Krixx on topic Adaptive Fog (And DOF) Won't Work in Rocket League
I couldn't find a fix anywhere, none of the previously mentioned fixes worked for me. So, I found a fix myself. In order to fix this issue, you need to go to the D3D11 tab and change the depth buffer address to the one with only one call (you will need to do that every time you start the game). Also, you need to change the RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED to 0, in global preprocessor definitions. I hope it helps. I created an account just to post this.

EDIT: I recommend disabling "High quality shaders" and "Depth of field" in Rocket League video settings because it's causing some visual bugs.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Krixx. Reason: Added info about video settings

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.