Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects

• yun_grey
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1 by yun_grey Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects was created by yun_grey
Is there any way to change the resolution of a single effect?
After installing a new OS on a different drive, my other drive where my game and reshade files are located, the drive letter changed and I had to change the destination folder in the reshade overlay in game.
After doing this, my preset and effects all loaded fine except for the MXAO and DOF effect.
From what I can visually tell in game, the MXAO and DOF effect is locked at 1920x1080, because the effect is visually off centered and scaled to the top left and the effect is absent from the bottom and right side of the screen.
If I change my resolution to 1920x1080, the effects fit properly on the screen.
All other effects are set to my monitor's resolution, which is 2560x1440.
I am using version 3.0.6.

EDIT: I updated to version 4.0.2 and the issue still proceeds after removing all 3.0.6 reshade files.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by yun_grey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects
Huh, this is very strange. There isn't a single variable or anything hard-coded to 1920x1080...

Both of these effects use a sort of screen scale option to be able to render in lower resolution, but that should be upscaled correctly again and by default, MXAO renders in full resolution.

What happens if you go below 1920x1080, is the effect stretched larger than the screen?

Also, which version do you use, the one from the main ReShade repo or qUINT?

And lastly, can you switch to statistics tab and show me what is displayed there for MXAO?
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Marty McFly.

• yun_grey
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #3 by yun_grey Replied by yun_grey on topic Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects
I believe I have located the issue, and it's a compatibility issue with Rocket League and Reshade. I was able to get different results based on the "RENDER QUALITY" option selected. If I choose the High Quality, Render Quality option, all effects fit properly on the screen when the game is set to 2560x1440. If I chose Quality, Performance, or High Performance Render Quality, the DOF and MXAO effects all scale down. I am no pro at understanding how different graphic settings work in different games, but it seems as if these different Render Quality options all scale the resolution down while the game is still displaying in 1440. Quality looks to scale down to 1080, Performance down to 900, and High Performance down to 720. It seems like Reshade is running off of the downscaled game resolution rather than the display resolution. This result is not an issue for me, since I prefer to run the game in "High Quality". In my original posting, I had Quality selected by default since my old graphic settings were not loaded because of the new OS install.

To answer your questions.
If I chose 1920x1080 or lower and any Render Quality bellow High Quality, the effects still seem to scale down at the same ratio as when I have my in game resolution set to 2560x1400. Which contradicts what I said above about the game downscaling the resolution since the same exact scenario occurs at any resolution set in game.
Both versions, 3.0.6 and 4.0.2 were downloaded using the link on the reshade.me page.
Here is a discord image link, 1440p in game resolution and High Quality option was selected.
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/266955878...o1440highquality.JPG
Here is a discord image link, 1440p in game resolution and Quality option was selected.
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/266955878.../mxao1440quality.JPG

I really appreciate your reply Marty McFly.

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects
Hm, in this case I know what's going on:

since on those pictures you sent me, MXAO has correctly sized depth texture (the input for the AO pass). So this is not an issue of the shader itself. Now only DOF and AO are affected, which are depth dependent effects.

I suspect that even though the depth texture is fullres, using lower quality results in its content being scaled to top left. So the depth texture is fullres, but the content of it is downsized to a smaller window inside the texture. This should show up in the "DisplayDepth" shader as well. MXAO and DOF only see that input and their output then obviously doesn't match the non-scaled color buffer which holds the original game image.

Bottom line, ReShade issue. If Rocket League is DX11, you might be able to search for a different, unscaled depth buffer. Somewhere on this forum is a guide how to do so. I'm on phone atm so I cannot search.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Marty McFly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yun_grey

• crosire
More
5 years 4 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Resolution/Screen Scale for individual Effects
Game issue actually. The render scale option probably scales up/down the viewport in the output textures (including the depth texture) instead of resizing the entire texture. This is so that the viewport can be dynamically adjusted based on performance, resizing the whole texture would result in stutters. Not something ReShade can do anything about (nor should it).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.