ReShade as capture driver for OBS?

• lordbean
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #1 by lordbean ReShade as capture driver for OBS? was created by lordbean
Question as above - would it be possible to somehow use ReShade as an input source for OBS? In games where I already have ReShade injected, it would probably save a small (possibly very small, although it may still be academically interesting) amount of overhead if OBS could copy the game's backbuffer from ReShade instead of injecting another hook of its own into the game. I realize this would likely require some additional programming in both ReShade and OBS, so it may not be easy to accomplish, nor do I have anywhere near the level of programming knowhow I would need to try it on my own. If this thought is totally out in left field, I apologize.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
2 years 3 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
This is possible with the ReShade 5 add-on API. Will see if I can add this as one of the add-on examples. Proof (this is not using the OBS hook, but is directly streamed out of ReShade into OBS):

• lordbean
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #3 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Nice, good stuff. For anyone who streams and also uses ReShade this makes a lot of sense since generally, the less things that are hooking the executable, the better.

• crosire
More
2 years 2 months ago - 6 months 1 day ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Last edit: 6 months 1 day ago by crosire. Reason: Fixed link

• Juicy Jay
More
1 year 10 months ago #5 by Juicy Jay Replied by Juicy Jay on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Hello Crosire.

Is there a way to get the "OBS Capture Addon? "

Im recording Youtube Videos and it would be great to spice them up with some nice effects.

• crosire
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
You need to build it yourself from source from the above link.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by crosire.

• Juicy Jay
More
1 year 10 months ago #7 by Juicy Jay Replied by Juicy Jay on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Thanks for the quick answer.

Ah okay. i thought there was anything official released for public download.
I'm not familiar with "building" something on my own. :dry:

I expericened to get the effects displayed working in OBS. but the recorded footage is clean with no effects sadly.

• GloFu
More
1 year 8 months ago #8 by GloFu Replied by GloFu on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Hello, I'm new, so first thank you for this invaluable tool!

Following situation. I need OBS to hook at a specific point in the pipeline, like so:
  1. apply general effects to frame
  2. OBS captures this frame
  3. apply additional effects (regarding color blindness, etc.), which should only be visible on my screen.

Is this possible with ReShade / this Add-on? GitHub suggests so:

An OBS capture driver which overrides the one OBS ships with to be able to give more control over where in the frame to send images to OBS.

If so, is there a small tutorial?
My confusion / problems are:
  • How do I define the position where the frame is send to OBS?
    Am I missing something in the home tab / shader list?
  • How do I know if OBS is actually using the ReShade driver?
    Should there be a new ReShade-source in OBS, or does it work automatically on game/window captures?
    From the screenshot at post #2, it's not really obvious, sorry.

My Add-ons-tab shows Generic Depth and OBS Capture. Do I need more?

(My apologize if I'm just lost or writing unclear. 🥺🙏)

• crosire
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
The code is an example that shows how to create an OBS capture driver as a ReShade add-on. It doesn't actually implement options to change where in the frame to send to OBS, it just has all the code necessary to show how that could technically be done. But you'd still have to implement that yourself (assuming programming knowledge with C++), so unfortunately it's not a plug'n'play solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GloFu

• GloFu
More
1 year 8 months ago #10 by GloFu Replied by GloFu on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Oh, I see! Now that part "to be able to" on GitHub actually makes sense. Thanks a lot crosire! 😊

A fellow programmer was able to send the frame before (or after) all effects were applied (using reshade_begin_effects or reshade_finish_effects).

But she couldn't find anything similar to send the frame after one specific effect, or a set number of effects. Is or will there be something like reshade_begin_effect_5 or reshade_finish_effect_5 to make this possible? Or any alternative way?

I think we're just a little hint away from a solution.

• crosire
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
Good point, that wasn't possible. I added a new event reshade_render_technique now, which is called after every effect was rendered, so can be used to identify a specific one (e.g. using "runtime->get_technique_name(technique, ...)") and do the OBS copy there (see github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/181d21...2f1922dc58f65d58a795 ). Will need to build ReShade from source for now until the next ReShade release which includes that change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GloFu

• GloFu
More
1 year 7 months ago #12 by GloFu Replied by GloFu on topic ReShade as capture driver for OBS?
It took us a bit, but we got it working now, and it works like a charm! 🥳
This add-on is such a blessing for me! 😌

Again, many many thanks, crosire!
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.