"Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run

• Lorthirk
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #1 by Lorthirk "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run was created by Lorthirk
Hello everyone!
I started playing with ReShade, and I noticed that the "Import Profile" wizard, that lets you select a preset and automatically download the needed packages, is only shown the first time the ReShade setup runs for the first time for a given game. I think that such option should be always available (since it can also be skipped, if needed) because when exploring different profiles, it's incredibly useful to check if all the required packages for a given profile are already installed and, if not, automatically download them. As it is right now, after importing the first profile, I would need to download every package to import additional profiles, or just explore the profile file and manually search for them. Well, again, why not always allow the user to automatically download the packages for a new imported profile? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
It's intentionally not available when modifying an existing installation, since there already is a current preset configured then (the one you set in ReShade or set during the first time you installed ReShade). So it will simply use that one to determine which packages to select instead of asking you to choose a new preset again.
Do note that this only properly works starting with the 5.2.2 setup tool, previously it didn't detect relative preset paths correctly.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by crosire.

• Lorthirk
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #3 by Lorthirk Replied by Lorthirk on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
Being completely new to Reshade I can't tell if there's a solid reason behind this, but do you see my suggestion still fit for a future improvement? Or it's not viable because of some use case or technical reason?

• crosire
More
1 year 9 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
I explained the reason? There is no logical point because of that?.

• Lorthirk
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #5 by Lorthirk Replied by Lorthirk on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
Well... I understood that the reason because it is as it is right now it's because it's something that was just implemented in 5.2.2. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I honestly can see value in allowing profiles import multiple times when I go and collect them around the internet, and having the auto download feature is a nice improvement IMHO. But if you see no value, it must be me who I don't exactly know how to use ReShade properly, as I said I am new to this :)

• crosire
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
Sorry, guess I didn't explain well enough. The reason was not because it was just implemented (just mentioned 5.2.2 for something it fixed, but nevermind that), but that you can change presets inside ReShade and the assumption is that when you update an existing ReShade installation you already have the preset you care about selected in ReShade, so the setup doesn't need to ask about it again.
But maybe I'm missing a usecase. I can present the screen to do that again, just didn't see added value apart from having to do an additional click to get through.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by crosire.

• Lorthirk
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #7 by Lorthirk Replied by Lorthirk on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
Well, the use case is me, newbie ReShade user, that browses the Internet collecting profiles in various websites, forums, reddit, etc. wanting to try all of them one after the other to decide which one I like the most. Every preset has its list of shaders, that may come from different packages: this means that, except for the first one I try, I should go looking for the list of shaders and packages for every one of them in order to download the correct ones, if needed. I think (but again, this is just a suggestion) that having some sort of "sanity check" on profiles could help new users to understand if the profile currently in use has every dependency in place. I thought that the easiest way to do this would be to show the Import Preset wizard (again, skippable) also when modifying a ReShade installation.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lorthirk.

• Lorthirk
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #8 by Lorthirk Replied by Lorthirk on topic "Import Preset" on every ReShade setup run
Thanks for implementing this! Much appreciated 🙏

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.