Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #1 by Kuro Kuzuri Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade was created by Kuro Kuzuri
At my wits end here. I can find plenty evidence to show that ReShade should work with SWTOR but for the life of me I simply can't get it to work for me.

System: Asus Notebook, Intel i5, discrete Nvidia GPU

Currently have both Launcher and swtor.exe set to run as admin.
Followed the procedure to fully remove BitRaider streaming service.
Installed DX 9.0c June 2010 runtimes.

Currently the game launches and runs without any problems without ReShade.
Whether I use mediator with ReShade Framework 1.1.0 or Reshade Setup with ReShade 1.1.0 with SweetFX 2.0 the result is the same. The launcher logs in as normal and runs the update check succesfully. Once I click "Play" the launcher closes as normal and the cursor shows the "working in background" icon for a few seconds then nothing. No error report. No brief flash of a program window, nothing.

The only info I can find is the d3d9.log file and to my untrained eye it just looks like it ends abruptly with no errors or warnings. I went ahead and ran a tracelog which is here: pastebin.com/ZMTDCyuX

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I truly enjoy games more with ReShade than without.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 4 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
Is that the only game with issues? Are you sure no other potentially interfering software is running in the background?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuro Kuzuri

• ninjafada
More
8 years 4 months ago #3 by ninjafada Replied by ninjafada on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
can you try my preset ? ninjafada.com/sweetfx/swtor/swtor-rsd2.zip
extract in X:\swtor\swtor\retailclient

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #4 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
crosire;
Yes SWTOR is the only game I am having trouble with at this time. Currently I have ReShade 1.1.0 with SweetFX 2.0 working beautifully with Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, The Secret World, and Metro 2033 Redux.

Hopefully after Christmas I can enjoy ReShade in Fallout 4 aswell.

As for any potentially interfering programs I can't be sure but I don't have any other overlays running (Fraps / Steam / Etc.). I run Bitdefender Total Security 2016 but that typically shows an event if it decides to interfer with anything. Just to check I have tried with the Intrusion Detection module (deals with DLL injection) set on and off with no change to SWTOR or my other games.

I ran into another clue. When I have both the launcher and swtor.exe set to Win XP SP3 compatibility mode the log file actually ends with a warning entry!
Here: pastebin.com/PFeTmpR7
and tracelog: pastebin.com/Y7ZZYvcG

Not sure what it means by finding and inconsistent device count? SWTOR does run two seperate copies of the executable when it runs but that is how it runs for everybody.

ninjafada:
Tried your preset with the same result (game didn't launch). Interestingly the log file is slightly different, while it still seems to cutoff abruptly it does infact contain an error where a hook failed to install with status code 3
Log Here: pastebin.com/WvCwVKFZ

• crosire
More
8 years 4 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
Please check what happens when you use the ReShade injector alone, without any shader files (remove ReShade.fx). Also, I'd be interested in the tracelog with v1.0 (the one the preset posted earlier uses). The error it it was removed in v1.1, because it isn't an error really, but I'd still be interested in where it comes from.

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #6 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
Here is the log after running 1.1 injector only (removed ReShade.fx and Sweet.fx): pastebin.com/KvyZxPHr
Tracelog of same setup: pastebin.com/Upm0x0ji

Ran ninjafada's 1.0 preset again with tracelog (Didn't remove the shader files): pastebin.com/s6sW2tKj

It seems an error was indeed fixed in 1.1, as the hook that fails to install in 1.0 succesfully installs in 1.1

If ninjafada or others have a working setup with swtor could they confirm that two swtor.exes are running and possibly supply a log?

Edit: I'm not sure what other information might help in diagnosing my specific problem so please let me know if anything more would help.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Kuro Kuzuri.

• ninjafada
More
8 years 3 months ago #7 by ninjafada Replied by ninjafada on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
yep there is 2 swtor.exe running they did that because the game is in 32bits and sometime one exe use 2Go memory , the 2nd exe deal with sound and other stuff
here is my log pastebin.com/udCf6uJj
be sure to have the geforce forced for swtor

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #8 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
ninjafada:
Thanks for confirming two exes. Thought I was losing my mind and people who got ReShade to work were somehow forcing it to only run one.

If by forcing geforce you mean to have a profile in nvidia settings that sets the preferred GPU for SWTOR to "High-performance Nvidia processor" then yes I have that set.

Thank you for providing a log. It seems they run almost completely differently???
My log from when I ran your preset starts hooking into dxgi.dll, while your log shows that it skips straight to user32.dll. Once at user32.dll they seemingly match until it comes time to install the delayed hooks for d3d9.dll. Yours seemingly is successful as it looks like it proceeds to initialize ReShade on the second exe. Whereas my log shows that ReShade goes on to install hooks in d3d10.dll, d3d10_1.dll, and d3d11.dll,
Not to mention that your log shows it correctly redirecting "Direct3DCreate9(32)" whereas my log show it trying to redirect "CreateDXGIFactory", "D3D11CreateDevice", and "D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain".

Obviously something is wrong but it looks like I don't have DirectX 9.0c installed properly but I have installed it. Not just extracted, but ran dxsetup and restarted.

• ninjafada
More
8 years 3 months ago #9 by ninjafada Replied by ninjafada on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
do you have a dxgi.dll in the folder ?

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #10 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
Nope, no dxgi.dll. I think it's swtor.exe calling dxgi.dll from system32.

No idea why that is... the obvious reasons seem eliminated.

Edit: No idea where to go from here.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Kuro Kuzuri.

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #11 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
I realise that it is the holiday season, but I hope it is ok I bump this topic up.

If anyone has any ideas about possible causes or maybe a way to acquire more information about my specific problem it would be much appreciated.

Quick checklist of current state:
DirectX 9.0c June 2010 installed and confirmed the presence of installed files in system32.
Launcher and SWTOR exes set to run as admin and in Win XP SP3 compatibility mode
Bitraider has been stripped from install
All drivers and OS updates confirmed as latest available
Game successfully launchs, updates, and runs without issues without ReShade
When either (Framework or SweetFX v.1.1.0) Reshade is included in game directory, launcher runs, updates successfully, but fails to launch the game.
d3d9 logs available in this thread.

• Kuro Kuzuri
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #12 by Kuro Kuzuri Replied by Kuro Kuzuri on topic Star Wars: TOR fails to launch w/ReShade
Bump

I got Reshade 1.1 with SweetFX 2.0 to run successfully wth Fallout 4, and it looks beautiful ^^ (although I did have to rename dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll)

Still looking for any further ideas regarding SWTOR, whether I need to run some other diagnostic or if there is some possible workaround with ReShade?

Just to check the last thing I could think of, I went through the entire process of completely removing SWTOR from my pc, restarting, amd finally reinstalling from scratch (still followed the procedure to keep BitRaider off my system). Unfortunately there is no change at all to my previous situation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.