Squad + ReShade only works in windowed fullscreen

• megazz
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by megazz Squad + ReShade only works in windowed fullscreen was created by megazz
So I've been trying to use ReShade in Squad and the problem it that it only works in windowed mode. If ReShade is installed and the game is set to fullscreen the game will crash at start with no error message, it will simply close. I tried renaming the dxdi.dll to d3d11.dll and it didn't solve the problem.

Squad is a game that runs on UE4, but I can't tell if this is an issue with all UE4 games or just Squad since this is the only UE4 game I own.

The game can look really awesome with ReShade, but when limited to windowed mode means I cannot record the gameplay with ShadowPlay or use the nVIDIA DSR to downsample the game and take 4K screenshots for example.

Here's the log file:
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tidias, bopper2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bopper2010
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by bopper2010 Replied by bopper2010 on topic Squad + ReShade only works in windowed fullscreen
Yeah I can also confirm that Reshade causes a crash in Squad with Fullscreen mode enabled, I just tested it out myself and got the same results as Megazz did. I tried moving the binaries to different locations, forcing OpenGL as the renderer for UE4 engine and tried various other tricks as workarounds but no success. The crashes may have something to do with the Anti Cheat tool built into Squad, or maybe it just crashes if there are multiple DX libraries loaded or it could be a UE4 issue maybe some bug with Reshade somewhere.

I did experience a similar issue with The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter Redux which was ported over to UE4 a while back, changing the resolution settings after launching the game would result in a crash , especially trying to go from fullscreen to windowed mode. I tried various things with that game including different drivers and some UE4 tweaks and still could never get to the bottom of it, I assumed it was an early UE4 issue that might get patched or down to that specific game but now with Squad showing similar issues I suspect UE4 and not Reshade. I also noticed at least of my system that if I set Squad.exe as Admin it would not even load past the small initial splash screen, once Admin was unticked it ran fine, this is the only game I own which has issues with Admin privileges. I tried some older versions of Reshade and still had no success with those either.

Megazz if you want to record gameplay you can still use Nvidia Shadowplay Desktop Capture, this will still capture the game once you have it enabled in Geforce Experience software, its not as good as fullscreen but I never have issues capturing OpenGL games or Borderless games like Emulator windows etc from PCSX2/Dolphin. As for the 4K screenshots I suggest using the in game resolution slider and kick it up to 200% Scaling, this should be equivalent to 4K as far as I am aware, I used the Windows Snipping tool to capture my screenshots with the Reshade Effects enabled and then disabled, my Print Screen (Screenshot Key) was only capturing a blank white image and I have Steam Overlay disabled for testing. Its not ideal but it might be a useful workaround for the time being.

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs with Fullscreen :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: megazz

• crosire
More
8 years 2 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Squad + ReShade only works in windowed fullscreen
This is a known issue with UE4 and happens because ReShade claims a reference to the backbuffer (which it needs in order to send it to the shaders). UE4 then complains about there being too many references to it and shuts down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: megazz

• megazz
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4 by megazz Replied by megazz on topic Squad + ReShade only works in windowed fullscreen

crosire wrote: This is a known issue with UE4 and happens because ReShade claims a reference to the backbuffer (which it needs in order to send it to the shaders). UE4 then complains about there being too many references to it and shuts down.

Hey thanks for the response. So there's nothing you can do on your end to fix this? Why does it work in windowed mode then?

Well, if that's the case then I hope this is fixed once UE 4.11 is out. :(
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by megazz.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.