How do I... um... use ReShade?

• Devil Master
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #1 by Devil Master How do I... um... use ReShade? was created by Devil Master
Okay, there's no way to say this without making myself look like a total n00b, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I'm at a total loss on how to use ReShade.
What I wanted to do was to try the SuperDepth3D shader with the Quake 4 demo to run it in stereoscopy, so here's what I did:
- downloaded ReShade_Setup_3.0.0.exe
- launched it
- clicked on "Select game"
- (after the Open window appeared) reached Quake4.exe, clicked on it, clicked the Open button
- selected OpenGL as rendering API
- clicked YES to the request to download shaders
- (after the word Done appeared) closed the ReShade setup window

And now what? When I launch the Quake 4 demo, it looks exactly the same as it always did! What do I do?

EDIT:
I opened OPENGL32.log. In three different points, the following three errors are listed:
- Unable to resolve hook for '0x66746E10'!
- Unable to resolve hook for '0x66747270'!
- Your graphics card does not seem to support OpenGL 4.3. Initialization failed.

EDIT #2:
I tried it with a Direct3D9 application, and it worked. So now I'm wondering: why, when hooking it to an OpenGL application, was decided to use OpenGL 4.3 , as opposed to the same OpenGL version as the target application?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Devil Master.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How do I... um... use ReShade?
ReShade requires an OpenGL 4.3 compatible graphics card to work. Yours is either too old, or your driver is too old. Try updating the graphics card driver first. If that doesn't resolve it then you are out of luck unfortunately.
This is the case for OpenGL games. DirectX games will still work fine.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• Devil Master
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3 by Devil Master Replied by Devil Master on topic How do I... um... use ReShade?
So I'm out of luck for OpenGL games. :(

Anyway, I noticed that the Direct3D games work fine. Before using ReShade, I wasn't able to run Sonic Lost World and Tron 2.0 in stereoscopy (the former crashed, the latter did not display the GUI), while ReShade actually displays them perfectly! :cheer:

I have, however, a problem with another game: Sentinel Returns, displayed in Direct3D 9 through the Glide wrapper nGlide. ReShade is activated correctly, but when I press Shift+F2, I cannot move the white mouse pointer that appears at the center of the screen, so I cannot configure ReShade. However, I can still move the in-game mouse pointer which is used to load, save or start a level as well as interact with the game world. Is there a way to set up ReShade with the keyboard only?

EDIT:
I've read messages that mention a Direct3D 8 to Direct3D 9 wrapper. Where do I find it? I tried ReShade with Freelancer (a Direct3D 8.1 game) and it won't activate when I press Shift+F2, so I'm assuming it does not identify it as a Direct3D 9 application because the wrapper is not automatically activated.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How do I... um... use ReShade?
On Direct3D 8 wrappers:
There is d3d8to9 at reshade.me/d3d8to9 which converts to Direct3D 9 and then there is DgVoodoo2 which converts to Direct3D 11.

• Devil Master
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #5 by Devil Master Replied by Devil Master on topic How do I... um... use ReShade?

crosire wrote: On Direct3D 8 wrappers:
There is d3d8to9 at reshade.me/d3d8to9 which converts to Direct3D 9 and then there is DgVoodoo2 which converts to Direct3D 11.

I decided to postpone the installation of the Direct3D 8 wrapper because I found a problem with RealMyst Masterpiece Edition, confirmed by BlueSkyKnight, who told me to contact you. When I use the SuperDepth3D.fx shader in that game and I go indoors, the depth map starts flickering in and out, which is really disorienting and makes the game unplayable. BlueSkyKnight says it also happen in Reshade v2.0. Can you do anything about that?

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic How do I... um... use ReShade?
ReShade uses a special algorithm to figure out where a game stores its depth information. This algorithm runs every few frames, since it's possible the storage location changes depending on what the game does. Sometimes ReShade's algorithm misinterprets something else for the depth buffer, which is when the flickering occurs (correct depth information found, then lost, then found again over short periods of time).
Since this algorithm works really well and is capable of detecting the right scene depth buffer in lots of games, I don't feel like touching it anymore (haven't since ReShade 1.0), afraid to break something in the process. So I'm sorry if it's not perfect in this particular game, but it will likely stay that way.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.