Final Fantasy XI crashing on load

• Quawk
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1 by Quawk Final Fantasy XI crashing on load was created by Quawk
I wanted this to work. I needed this to work. :( I'm not sure this game likes being converted from D3D8 to D3D9. I tried this in the past with ENB's wrapper, iirc, didn't work then either. I'm hoping this can be fixed.

.log pastebin.com/FAHtgyx4
I also made a .tracelog file, even though I wasn't sure it was needed because it just crashes:
.tracelog pastebin.com/dd6gmALH

Crash dump file: www.mediafire.com/download/8acdct6dzhkrw1i
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Quawk. Reason: more files, gah!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Quawk
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #2 by Quawk Replied by Quawk on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
www.ffevo.net/topic/3654-hooking-into-directx/?p=42693

Crosire!! I must ask, is there any way you can collaborate with atom0s to bring ReShade to Ashita as a plugin? :( This would make a ton of people ecstatic about being able to finally bring some much needed eye candy into Final Fantasy XI. Couldn't you create an API that could tie the two together somehow since you're not open source? (Forgive me if that sounded stupid as I don't know anything about coding, lol)

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
It doesn't work that easy. ReShade does some really deep hooking for all its features to work, stuff you can't realize with such a plugin. And having multiple wrappers simply doesn't work very well, because they tend to overwrite each other.

• sajittarius
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #4 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
I got this to work! I've been looking at a bunch of different injectors for the last couple of weeks since i started playing FFXI again. dvoodoo2 can do it, but its a pain...

If you get dgvoodoo2 set up with its DLL's in the playonline folder (where pol.exe is), you have to keep the dgvoodoo config open and:

1) Disable directx hooking (its a checkbox in the directx tab, that says Pass through Directx calls, click that and hit apply profile)
2) Start pol.exe (or windower if you use that)
3) Re-enable directx hooking (uncheck the passthrough, and hit apply so it updats the dgvoodoo config)
4) Login and hit Play in playonline to start FFXI.

If you have reshade's DLL in the folder also (named dxgi.dll) it should show Reshade's startup in the top left when the game loads.

Everything works, Ambient Occlusion, Ambient Lighting, DOF. The game is beautiful. I didnt have time to take alot of screenshots, it was 1am when i got done lol. Here is a shot in Valkurm Dunes, hopefully i can take some better ones when i have time to play more (family visiting this week, lol). It doesnt do it justice, in motion the ambient lighting and occlusion make a massive difference. The world seems much less flat.

Without:

WIth:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by sajittarius.

• kurgan78
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #5 by kurgan78 Replied by kurgan78 on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
I got all excited when I read that you got a 3rd party wrapper/shader to work for this game. I did exactly what you suggested, but it's not working for me. The game starts to launch from POL Viewer, but as soon as the game window loads it just crashes and returns to the POL Viewer. Maybe I'm missing a small detail here that you didn't mention (could be my dgvoodoo2 setup -- I put the DLL files and setup EXE inside the PlayOnlineViewer folder where pol.exe is).

Could be the clunky nVidia Optimus on my laptop, which I was kind of hoping using this wrapper would allow it to properly switch to nVidia graphics.

I may have to give it a try on my desktop PC, as well, just to rule out Optimus.

Edit: Can't get it to work on my desktop PC, either. I'm going to want to know more about how you set up the dgvoodoo2, where you put the files, etc.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by kurgan78.

• kurgan78
More
7 years 11 months ago #6 by kurgan78 Replied by kurgan78 on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
Got it working, thanks to Sajittarius. He found out that when he changed his fonts to high quality in the FFXI config tool that the crash happened for him, too. Changing font quality back to compressed or uncompressed and not high quality does indeed get this game to work with ReShade and dgVoodoo2.

And on Optimus laptops, you will need to leave "Adapter(s) to use/enable" set to "All of them" in dgVoodoo 2. On desktops or gaming laptops with dedicated GPUs, you can specify the GPU to use/enable.

• mitch1601
More
7 years 10 months ago #7 by mitch1601 Replied by mitch1601 on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
I've also got an Optimus laptop and I can't get this to work. I've followed Sajittarius's steps exactly. I've also changed the font quality, and selected "All of them", as suggested by kurgan.

When I log in to the game the graphics are totally glitched. Character not visible at all, or else just parts are visible in funny colours, then I get weird white streaks across the screen. I'm not even bothered about getting high quality graphics, I just want to run the game at a decent FPS, and I can't because Optimus forces it to use onboard graphics.

Can anyone help? Kurgan, could you share with me the setting you used on your Optimus laptop? Thanks!

• Hunter
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #8 by Hunter Replied by Hunter on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
heya folks, just a few questions please would REALLY love to try this ^^
have tried many things and I just can't seem to get it to work :\ I get as far as getting the crash, and fixing it, but no visible effects or UIs in game.

what version of reshade and dgVoodoo2 are you running?
what operating system?
what graphics card?
do you have ReShade's mediator.exe running in the background? (before or after dgvoodoo2 and PoL are launched? after the crash fix?)
were there any other dgvoodo2 settings? what graphics card do I emulate on the directx tab?
my dxgi.dll is called ReShade64.dll ... have read on a diff game someone renamed that to dxgi.dll to get it working, didn't work here. is this because i'm using a newer version of reshade? so confused :\

...I am going to try to follow some ReShade tutorials I guess. mitch1601, let's come back and help each other if we find the solution ok :)?

I would really ... REALLY ... love to play ffxi online with depth of field etc.

please help us!! ty~

*update*

I was trying to run ReShade from game directory, where it was not fully functional. ran it from destop and it installed the .dll.

mitch1601, I think I know what your problem was. ReShade autodetected this game as directx9 but it's a directx8 game. also, I am having to run pol.exe in win 7 compatibility mode to get any results.

I am seeing the ReShade stuff on top left when I log in now, but am still getting a crash :\ changing fonts does nothing. whyyy
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Hunter.

• siulmagic
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #9 by siulmagic Replied by siulmagic on topic Final Fantasy XI crashing on load
Hey guys i am also trying to make reshade work on FFXI, i have everything loading and i can go ingame with dgvoodoo3 and reshade but the game always crashes after a few seconds. i have checked reshade logs but there really are no errors. i am stumped at this? no idea how i dint crash for sagitarius.

i am on Win10.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by siulmagic.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.